Is Makeovers Announced At The Frankfurt Motor Show

Lexus announced some make over for the IS, yep, only just had some 12 months ago.

"FRANKFURT - September 14, 2009: Lexus is updating its IS model range, adding a limited slip differential to the ultra-high performance IS F, offering a new F-Sport trim package for the regular IS 250 and 220d models, and introducing DAB-ready audio and new Hard Disk Drive (HDD) navigation systems"

"Owners are being given the chance to give their IS a large dash of Lexus F style appeal with a new factory-fitted F-Sport package."

"Available for all IS petrol and diesel models and in all available body colours, it provides an IS F-style front grille, rear spoiler and exclusive 18-inch alloy wheels. Interior features include IS F-style seats, steering wheel and, on the IS 250, automatic gear lever."

"Navigation and audio systems

A new Lexus Navigation System is available in the IS range, using a 40GB hard disc drive (HDD) that makes it one of the fastest and most accurate systems on the market, providing Europe-wide coverage with local traffic information infrastructure for each country.

Three powerful audio systems are available: two premium Lexus systems with six-CD changer, steering-wheel mounted controls and eight or 13 speakers; and a 14-speaker Mark Levinson Premium Surround Sound System, giving perfect 5.1-channel surround sound on compatible CDs and DVDs.

All three systems are now DAB ready and provide both USB and audio jack plug connection for fully controlled use of portable music players and Bluetooth with an audio streaming function.

The Mark Levinson audio package now features a “sound library” function, using the navigation system’s HDD to transfer and store music files from CD up to 10GB capacity."

DAB is the digital radio system and it is not the same that is being released in Australia. We are getting the DAB+ system.

So, will we get these???

Also, did people see the LF-Ch competitor to the A3/BMW 1 series on shop. May not get it in Australia, and if we do, no sooner than end of 2011.

Sounds like a few good upgrades, but probably a bit behind the times. My old ladies Hynudai has the USB input.

I like the idea of the HDD. Wonder if this will include video? If so, 40GB will not be big enough.

I would have expected these a few years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Had one of the sales guys at Lexus of Blackburn indicate they had received a product alert on this model a few weeks ago. He indicated it would be here before the end of the year and quoted circa $90K for the privilege :o .

From what I've read online - it's all cosmetic given the more substantial mods (exhaust, suspension) appear to be posing ADR challenges for Lexus AUS. Maybe that's just cover for maxxing the margins on this new lease of life for the IS - the asking sounds mighty ambitious if that is indeed the case.

Lexus AUS need want to make a convincing argument to HQ for the RHD 350 and fast or I will be definitely be looking to the Euro competition in the coming months.