Voice Commands

Hi All,

I'm curious to find out from any RX350/RX400h owners out there whether voice commands actually works for you? I have a 'talk' button on my steering wheel and I could not work out how to use it. My 08 RX400h owner's manual says this button is the 'talk' button and refers me to the SatNav manual. Unless I'm going blind, I cannot find the topic in the SatNav manual. Apparently, over in the States, they can use voice commands for temperature controls, Sat Nav, Radio, CD etc.. The trick is for the system to understand your commands. :rolleyes: I just thin it would be cool to do that...just like the Ford Mondeo TV commercial... :P

On my 2006 RX350 the voice control only seems to work with the phone system, not with the sat nav or aircon etc. You have to record the names of your 20 favourite contacts, each associated with a phone number. Then when you want to call them, press the phone button, then the talk button. The system will prompt you to say a name and will connect if it's recognised.

On my 2006 RX350 the voice control only seems to work with the phone system, not with the sat nav or aircon etc. You have to record the names of your 20 favourite contacts, each associated with a phone number. Then when you want to call them, press the phone button, then the talk button. The system will prompt you to say a name and will connect if it's recognised.

are you able to give me step-by-step instructions on how to do this? I went to telephone menu, address book, add a number to the address book, and I notice there is an option that says 'voice recognition is switched off' and I can't work out how to activate this. Pressing the 'talk' button takes me away from the current screen and it says 'voicetag is empty'.

are you able to give me step-by-step instructions on how to do this? I went to telephone menu, address book, add a number to the address book, and I notice there is an option that says 'voice recognition is switched off' and I can't work out how to activate this. Pressing the 'talk' button takes me away from the current screen and it says 'voicetag is empty'.

These instructions are for an 06 RX350, so may be different on your vehicle. Get to the point where you add a number (or edit an existing one). Adjacent to the option that says "Voice recognition: off" there should be a button labelled "Voice Rec". Touch that, and the car will ask you to speak the name. Then just follow the car's spoken instructions.

Once you've entered a voice tag, test it by getting right out of the phone menu. Press the telephone button on the steering wheel, then press the Talk button. The car will ask you to say a name. Do that, and it will then ask you to press the dial button (on the touch-screen).

Ummm... :blink:

I thought perhaps the previous owner may have already recorded 20 voice tags which are still in memory (and would prevent you recording any more). But you said you get a "Voice tag empty" message, so it can't be that.

Rapidly running out of ideas here.

Many thanks Poisson. You are a great help. With your instructions in mind, I decided to have another go tonight and I could use the REC button now. I've now added a few numbers and tested it and it works a treat. This will be really handy now that the new tougher road laws on mobile devices while driving.

• 3 years later...

Despite this thread being rather 3 years old, I'd like to ask if I may; whether it is possible to unlock more command features from the voice guidance system?

My 2012 RX which unfortunately is the Prestige model, only has voice recognition for the bluetooth phone system; apart from that, there's nothing else?

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with Poisson, the only voice commanding I can get my 07 RX350 to do is to dial prerecorded 'shortcut' numbers.

On a related note, I'm still irritated by Lexus not allowing even the incoming call number to show up while the car is in motion. At least then you could decide whether or not to answer a call...

I have my phone contacts transferred to my L and whenever I receive a phone call from my contacts, their name shows up on the display before I answer it and this is while the car is in motion. I just can't recall whether the phone number shows up on the screen when it is not in the address book.

Hi Lexo, yes I think that happens on mine too. If I have the number saved, then it does show up even while the car's moving. But I don't think it displays unsaved numbers unless it's stopped.

I could be wrong, as I don't get many calls in the car :(

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have my phone contacts transferred to my L and whenever I receive a phone call from my contacts, their name shows up on the display before I answer it and this is while the car is in motion. I just can't recall whether the phone number shows up on the screen when it is not in the address book.

What type of phone are you using (from which you managed to transfer your contacts)? I tried the contacts transfer from iPhone but it doesn't seem to work.

From what I've read, iphone is pain via bluetooth. I have an android phone and it was as easy as 1-2-3 when I did it back then.