Hey guys,

My car is a magnet for stones.

Today i was driving along the M4 when a stone that seemed to be about the size of a golf ball come flying down from the bridge overhead! My windscreen is cracked starting from the pillar and probably 3/4 of the way across. Not happy! :(

Has anyone had theirs changed? If so where? Generic or Lexus??

Thank guys.

Hey guys,

My car is a magnet for stones.

Today i was driving along the M4 when a stone that seemed to be about the size of a golf ball come flying down from the bridge overhead! My windscreen is cracked starting from the pillar and probably 3/4 of the way across. Not happy! :(

Has anyone had theirs changed? If so where? Generic or Lexus??

Thank guys.

the same thing happened to me last week but it was my work car. work will fix it but as for lexus windscreens dunno sorry.

With my other cars I got them repaired at Obrien Windscreen in Seven Hills. I think they have a 24 hour phone number and they can book you in to the nearest one available. http://www.obrienglass.com.au/

Not sure about Lexus. Do you have Windscreen cover for your insurance? Normally you wont get a genuine windscreen with these repairs only a interchangable OEM one.

The other way is go to a Lexus dealer who charge you an arm and a leg.

• 3 weeks later...

With my other cars I got them repaired at Obrien Windscreen in Seven Hills. I think they have a 24 hour phone number and they can book you in to the nearest one available. http://www.obrienglass.com.au/

Not sure about Lexus. Do you have Windscreen cover for your insurance? Normally you wont get a genuine windscreen with these repairs only a interchangable OEM one.

The other way is go to a Lexus dealer who charge you an arm and a leg.

Ok, long story short....................No windscreen insurance cover!!! Again, long story and I shall not go into it because ......not happy.mad.gif

Prices gathered -

Non oem glass with no antenna - $340

Non oem glass with non oem antenna- $490

Genuine Lexus glass with oem antenna - $890

I guess not too bad considering, but it upsets me that I pay so damn much for my premium (two cars insured and never claimed once in the last 15years I have been with em), yet I still have to fork out almost a grand for the glass.

Yeh some might say "get the non oem", but what if the radio reception is s##t, rather get the proper 1 now!!! Unless I get the good old coat hanger out!

anyone got connections with genuine spares to get the glass cheaper?? That is fitted so im not sure how much just the glass would be!!!

I have windscreen cover through RACV for about $45 a year (from memory, but its around that). I got a chip which gradually got a little bit bigger. Not to the point of a 'spider' or anything like that, but I lodged a claim with RACV (asked for a Lexus windscreen to be replaced - they will fit an after-market if you don't ask), then gave my Lexus dealer my claim number booked in a time later that week and they fitted a authentic Lexus windscreen at the dealership.

No paperwork, no excess, no sweat!

Based on this experience, I cannot stress the value of getting windscreen cover in your insurance policy, especially for vehicles that have expensive replacement parts.

The good thing with the authentic windscreen is that you get a fresh set of seals and metal strips throughout. From my understanding you dont with the after-market.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It actually costs at least $1600 for a original Lexus windscreen; replaced by Lexus.

Oh yeah, its been a while and I never did update on this!!!

I had the Lexus oem glass fitted, with oem facias as the clips do break on replacement for $900 neat. YES, it wasn't fitted by Lexus but I ensured that I chose an owner operator that I could trust to replace the screen for me. No apprentices here thank you!!!

He fitted it at my place and I was one of those annoying by standers that just didn't leave!!!

So that being said I would say that Lexus was charging considerable for the install!!!

Soooooo, understanding how much the oem glass costs, do shop around guys!!!

(And definately do not consider the non oem.........the green tinge and the waviness in the glass is horrific)!!!

Hope this helps anyone in that crappy situation!

• 1 year later...

Hi I'm new to this forum and would really like someone's opinion on this matter.

I bought an IS250 2007 model 3 months ago. Yesterday while driving my windscreen cracked from the base to about the middle.

There's no indent anywhere just a clean crack. I know it wasn't a rock or stone or anything like that as I would have heard it hit the screen.

My delima now is do I get a genuine replaced screen or are after market ones just as good and do the job. Unfortunately I did not include the windscreen option in in my insurance.

I have already got a few quotes and they seems very different. One sounded ok, saying he would replace the the moulding which he says is just cosmetic....don't really know what that means though!!

So anyone know which company is reliable for non genuine or should I not bother. And BTW what does OEM stand for?

Appreciate any feedback.

OEM = Original Eqipment of manufacture

After windscreens will do the job they are the same

though

they dont have the cut out on the bottom on the passenger side corner where your Vin number is shown

only OEM's have that

anyone got connections with genuine spares to get the glass cheaper?? That is fitted so im not sure how much just the glass would be!!!

You mentioned antenna so i'd assume it's the rear. Ring ReflectEffect (vendor on this forum) if he's still got the rear (with some broken demisters).

My front windscreen got chipped last week. Lucky I have been paying extra on insurance for excess free windscreen replacement. The insurance company handed the claim over to obrians and they want to put in an aftermarket windscreen. I have confirmed with them that the windscreen they are replacing with has rain sensors and heating elements, however, I read somewhere that Lexus OEM windscreens have an acoustic layer.

Could someone please confirm if 2007 IS250 sports luxury has got acoustic layer on front windscreen? Anything else I need to watch out for?

I read that for ES models: “The windshield has a layer of low-durometer plastic film between the two sheets of glass to absorb road noise, engine noise, and midrange frequencies (2-5 kHz).”

. One sounded ok, saying he would replace the the moulding which he says is just cosmetic....don't really know what that means though!!

My repairer told me that it is "essential" to replace top mould when replacing windscreen for my car model. They don't have any in stock so they are ordering it in.

Thank you all for your replies.

Here is the latest.

Turns out, the place where my car was being inspected, for end of warranty, was responsible for the crack. As I had only left thier premises and it happened straight after, they had somehow contributed to the cause of crack. They will be replacing the windscreen after all at no cost to me. I'm very lucky indeed.

So tomorrow, I'm calling my insurer to add this small cost to my policy, I don't need this headache any time soon.

• 8 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I need some help please. I have a 2009 IS250 Prestige. Today in the sun I noticed my windshield is suffering heavily from light scratches and 'permanent dirtyness' from the wipers, there's also 2 VERY small chips from what I can see. The light scratches though are very very annoying in the sun as they become quite noticeable...

Question is. Is this repairable without having to replace the entire windshield?

If not, what windshield do I get? Where? How much? (From Victoria, south east suburbs). All I've learned is the after market windshields have a green tinge and weird antenna? I'd prefer to go OEM but rather not have to donate a kidney to do so..

:(

Have you considered getting someone like Windscreen O'Brien checking it out to see what they might be able to do? And RACV also claim to do windscreen repairs.

• 1 month later...

windows obrien are not much cheaper than lexus, mine cracked 6 months after purchase, ended up having it replaced at a panel shop in woolongong $300 yes aftermarket, same thickness as oem has VIN cut out etc exactly the same except it doesn't have Lexus written on it big deal who cares, saved $1300 from my lexus quote

Aren't there a lot of in-built features in the Lexus OEM windscreen? Are they all available in replacement windscreens? How does one check if they are present or not?

The benefits of getting OEM windscreen is in the acoustic properties (noise isolation) in which generic ones don't provide. Windscreen O'briens uses chinese made screens so you would need to go to your Lexus service centre if you want an OEM replacement. It won't be cheap so it depends on how hard you push with your insurer. I have windscreen protection cover and got mine replaced with a Lexus windscreen by my Lexus dealer. When I called to lodge the claim, the 1st person would not approve the replacement through my Lexus dealer. I hung up and call back the next day and spoke to someone else whom understood my concerns about non-oems and approved my claim to have it done through my Lexus dealer.

After reading these posts i will be making sure i have windscreen coverage for my beloved F sport.

Here's something to note before everyone goes rushing to add "windscreen coverage" ...

The mere fact that insurers have a "windscreen option" on their motor insurance policies gives the initial impression that:

• If your windscreen is damaged, and:
    • you choose the windscreen option on your policy, the insurer will cover the costs of replacement.
    • you didn't chose the windscreen option on your policy, the insurer won't cover any costs of windscreen replacement, regardless of who or what caused the damage.

I've read a number of policies, and this just isn't true. This is what I found:

• If your windscreen is damaged, and you're not claiming damage on any other part of the car, and:
    • you chose the windscreen option on your policy, the insurer will cover the full costs of replacement.
    • you didn't choose the windscreen option on your policy, you will be subject to the normal rules of paying an excess, i.e.:
      • If you can identify a person or company that caused the damage, the insurer will cover the full costs of replacement.
      • Otherwise, you may need to pay an excess; the insurer will pay for the remainder of the windscreen replacement costs.

So, the "windscreen option" only saves you: Your excess amount

And only if:

• You damage your windscreen, and nothing else and
  • The insurer can't recoup costs from another insurer

And - as discussed earlier - unless you can convince your insurer that you should really get a genuine Lexus windscreen, you will probably end up paying the full amount for a genuine windscreen yourself. I note that even those insurance policies that guarantee genuine parts for a certain age of vehicle may exclude the windscreen from that guarantee.

Insurance is all about peace of mind, so make your decision based on what the insurer is truly offering and your appetite for risk. But, based on the probability of this event happening, and the full cost of that event to you (the excess amount plus changes to your No Claim Discount over the next two years), and the likelihood that your insurer will limit their payout to the cost of a cheap windscreen, is it worth paying about $60 a year?

Edited by Lexus Nerd