Aspiring Lexus Driver From Melbourne!

Hi everyone,

Been great reading all the rather helpful posts on here about Lexus.

I am currently driving a 1 series bimmer, it's the first car I've owned but I've quickly outgrown it and am looking for something that better suits my driving style - prefer slow, lazy and comfy luxury rather than sporty. I am looking for a nice boulevard cruiser.

So come December I shall be getting myself a brand new IS250C! Probably in Sports Luxury trim. Hopefully the waitlist for the IS C won't be as long by then! I've driven the IS250 in both sedan and convertible form a few times and loved it. The IS feels like a luxe limo even though it's meant to be "entry luxury." I love how relaxed I feel in a Lexus, ie I can drive at freeway speeds yet feel like I'm going at no more than 40kmh! Have test driven the 3 series and Audi A5 but ride comfort wise they're a bit too harsh for my liking and both pale in comparison to the IS. The E class cab is great but it's a bit out of my price range by the time options are thrown in.

My OH is also looking for a new car but can't decide if he wants an SUV or a coupe. This Sat we're test driving an RX350 and a 3 series coupe. 2 very different cars I know but hopefully it'd give him a good idea of his preference! Maybe we'll end up with 2 Lexus cars in the driveway. We'll probably get a massive discount if we get both cars from the same dealership?? ;)

Anyone has any recommendations of Lexus dealerships in Melbourne? We live near the city so are going to City Lexus for the OH's test drive, but the staff member on the phone seem rather abrupt and disinterested, which is contrary to the Lexus reputation for good service. :( Lexus of Brighton is said to be the biggest, and so we might get better service there?

Anyhoo, looking forward to your words of wisdom!

Hi everyone,

Been great reading all the rather helpful posts on here about Lexus.

I am currently driving a 1 series bimmer, it's the first car I've owned but I've quickly outgrown it and am looking for something that better suits my driving style - prefer slow, lazy and comfy luxury rather than sporty. I am looking for a nice boulevard cruiser.

So come December I shall be getting myself a brand new IS250C! Probably in Sports Luxury trim. Hopefully the waitlist for the IS C won't be as long by then! I've driven the IS250 in both sedan and convertible form a few times and loved it. The IS feels like a luxe limo even though it's meant to be "entry luxury." I love how relaxed I feel in a Lexus, ie I can drive at freeway speeds yet feel like I'm going at no more than 40kmh! Have test driven the 3 series and Audi A5 but ride comfort wise they're a bit too harsh for my liking and both pale in comparison to the IS. The E class cab is great but it's a bit out of my price range by the time options are thrown in.

My OH is also looking for a new car but can't decide if he wants an SUV or a coupe. This Sat we're test driving an RX350 and a 3 series coupe. 2 very different cars I know but hopefully it'd give him a good idea of his preference! Maybe we'll end up with 2 Lexus cars in the driveway. We'll probably get a massive discount if we get both cars from the same dealership?? ;)

Anyone has any recommendations of Lexus dealerships in Melbourne? We live near the city so are going to City Lexus for the OH's test drive, but the staff member on the phone seem rather abrupt and disinterested, which is contrary to the Lexus reputation for good service. :( Lexus of Brighton is said to be the biggest, and so we might get better service there?

Anyhoo, looking forward to your words of wisdom!

HI Luxist009,

I can highly recommend Blackburn Lexus Bought 2 Lexus' in last year and half. Fantastic service. Can get car washed and detailed monthly there if want. If get Lexus insurance , you get a lexus loan car when getting any repairs. Lexus Blackburn will pick up your car from home or work and leave you a newish Lexus as a loan car when you have a service at no extra cost. I can recommend Sonny to deal with.

Great hot chocs as well. I had a IS250 with enhancement pack, loved it but hubby who is tall had troble getting in to seat because steering wheel was in way so I planned to upgrade to an IS250 F which had some great options but ended up getting an ISF. LOve it!

Thanks for the recommendation - will check out Lexus of Blackburn for sure!

We'll stick with the RX test drive at City Lexus this weekend though, as OH is also test driving a 330d coupe at BMW Melbourne over in South Melbourne, so don't want to wander too far away. Hopefully City Lexus is better in person. But we'll make sure to call in on Lexus of Blackburn before purchasing. I can't believe they'd wash and detail your car monthly for free - wow, though Blackburn is a bit of a shuffle from Brunswick for monthly carwash and detailing. :P

Got to really acquaint myself with Lexus, in particular the IS line, not so long ago when we rented an IS250 (think it was a Prestige but it had the Sat Nav and reversing camera) with Hertz at Perth Airport for a drive down to Margaret River and back - was OH's birthday trip so wanted to rent something a little more special. Made the long journey a breeze, apart from the freezing HVAC, and I didn't want to give the car back!

Good to hear that someone shares the same passion with Lexus. I think they are a really good Car!

Being a fan of Mercedes Benz for sometimes (own the W203 and traded that to W204), we just upgraded my wife's Mazda 6 to IS250 Prestige 2 weeks ago and honestly, we loving it so much now more than the w204.

We bought the car from Lexus of Brighton and we found the Service was very average. We've been there 3 weekend in a row and the only thing that we enjoy was the Coffee and bottle of water. Maybe because we bought the Demo car, we got different level of service but I can say Ian the GM does not impress me at all with his attitude.

I've owned 4 other cars in the past (Lancer, Astra, Subaru Liberty 04, Mercedes C class and now Lexus), to be honest, the best Service I've sI o far is from the SouthMelbourne Mercedes, we even bought him an expensive give to show that his service was outstanding.

I didn't even get a keyring when I picked up the car...from Lexus Brighton...and when my wife left the Etag on the old car, I have to drive back to pick it up. Come on, postage is not that Expensive!!!

Anyway that's my 2 cents....

I've owned 4 other cars in the past (Lancer, Astra, Subaru Liberty 04, Mercedes C class and now Lexus), to be honest, the best Service I've sI o far is from the SouthMelbourne Mercedes, we even bought him an expensive give to show that his service was outstanding.

We were treated with ambivalence when my OH went to look at the E class coupe at South Melbourne Mercedes. :( Maybe we're both young and were dressed casually etc. Since then we realised that a mate of ours works at Silver Star Motors, an MB dealership in Doncaster - so we'll head there if he goes down the coupe route rather than SUV to test drive the E coupe.

• 5 weeks later...

OH ended up with the 330d coupe, v nice when optioned up with Nappa leather. He also installed the M Sport Pack which makes the car a little too stiff for my liking, but hey it's his car.

I just test drove both the MB E class coupe and cabriolet, and oh no I like them too!!! I am now torn between the E cabriolet or the ISC. :(

The Mercs have the same attributes as the Lexus that I like - luxury, peace and quiet, and a smooth ride. And a lot more space!

It's an unfair comparison I know given the E class is supposed to be one up the IS-line, but there's no GSC. The ISC is also much cheaper. No preference between hard or soft tops - amazingly the soft top is just as refined! The Merc felt a little more solid overrall, though I understand that over time the Lexus is supposed to be more reliable.

I might have to go test drive them back to back. :)