I intend to bring my RX330 to Fraser Island. Can someone share with me their experience and advice to me if that is not a good idea? As RX330 does not have lo-range and differential lock, how can it manage off-road? Is its clearance enough to go through holes and roots? Is it advisable to remove spare tyre to increase clearance? Will it cause severe damages if scratches at undercarriage?

Hi Ricky. I think you should be OK provided you are careful and use a bit of common sense. When I was at Fraser Island I saw lots of "soft roaders" getting around OK. You may need to reduce your tyre pressures when driving in soft sand in the rainforest and some of the more heavily trafficked areas, so take a compressor and tyre pressure gauge. Driving on the beach should be fine, but keep out of the salt water. Make sure you wash it well as soon as you get back to the mainland.

Hi Ricky. I think you should be OK provided you are careful and use a bit of common sense. When I was at Fraser Island I saw lots of "soft roaders" getting around OK. You may need to reduce your tyre pressures when driving in soft sand in the rainforest and some of the more heavily trafficked areas, so take a compressor and tyre pressure gauge. Driving on the beach should be fine, but keep out of the salt water. Make sure you wash it well as soon as you get back to the mainland.

Hi Poisson, Thanks for giving me the safety pill. Did you drive your RX to Lake Mckenzie? Can RX handle the holes and roots on the track?

No, I didn't have my RX with me on that trip (I live in Perth). We hired a Suzuki Jimny, which was a lot of fun but hardly luxurious. :)

• 13 years later...