Hi All, I have been reading the posts for the last couple of days and it's pretty cool.

I used to own a IS 200 few years ago and loved it, then i moved onto my current Audi A3 2.0 Turbo. It is a cool car and so much fun to drive. Unfortunately given the terrible condition of sydney roads I am considering changing it. Since Audi's have pretty hard suspension, it annoys me so much every time I drive around the city. Anyway I went and test drove a 2007 Sports Luxury at Chatswood Lexus recently. Even though the Lexus was nowhere near as fun to drive as the Audi, it certainly is a great car. Was soo smooth and Quiet. Also love the design. Gotta be one of the nicest sedans driving around.

So I have been looking around Carsales and bit confused with what is the difference between the IS250 Sports and the IS250 Sports Luxury ? I know the Sports only comes with Alcantara Trim. But is there anything else. The sales guy from the dealership said there is no Sports anymore and it is F sport. Has the IS250 sport been discontinued.

I am thinking of buying either a 2007 or a 2008 model. Is there much of a difference between the years ?

Looking foward to hearing from you experts!

Hi All, I have been reading the posts for the last couple of days and it's pretty cool.

I used to own a IS 200 few years ago and loved it, then i moved onto my current Audi A3 2.0 Turbo. It is a cool car and so much fun to drive. Unfortunately given the terrible condition of sydney roads I am considering changing it. Since Audi's have pretty hard suspension, it annoys me so much every time I drive around the city. Anyway I went and test drove a 2007 Sports Luxury at Chatswood Lexus recently. Even though the Lexus was nowhere near as fun to drive as the Audi, it certainly is a great car. Was soo smooth and Quiet. Also love the design. Gotta be one of the nicest sedans driving around.

So I have been looking around Carsales and bit confused with what is the difference between the IS250 Sports and the IS250 Sports Luxury ? I know the Sports only comes with Alcantara Trim. But is there anything else. The sales guy from the dealership said there is no Sports anymore and it is F sport. Has the IS250 sport been discontinued.

I am thinking of buying either a 2007 or a 2008 model. Is there much of a difference between the years ?

Looking foward to hearing from you experts!

Well welcome first up and good luck with buying the car; you will not be disappointed!

You are correct in your assumptions re the Sports / Sport Luxury; the main difference is the interior (Alcantara, no wood trim, EMV not standard), also the suspension is harder in the Sports model. So if it's a smoother ride you're after, stick with the Sports Luxury - it has it all. Personally, i'm not a fan of the wood grain interior, but each to their own.

Yes the Sport model in the range has been discontinued and it has been nicely filled with the F-Sport. Your research is pretty bang on and i'm sure the guys here will help you with anything further I have forgotten.

Agreed....

Two options I reckon - as far as best value for money / 'bang for your buck':

1. A low kms 2008 Prestige with SatNav/sunroof/Mark Levison sound and put on some 17's if you like.

OR

2. Or a mid kms 2007 Sports Luxury that has all the bells n whistles.

There was a (barely) facelift about a year ago, with very subtle cosmetic changes inside and out plus VDIM on all variants.

If buying through a Lexus dealer, look into the extended factory warranty - which will add a further 3 years on top of the existing 4 yr warranty, and kick in as soon as the 4yr warranty expires. Costs about $2k, but its a Lexus warranty (not a 3rd party mob) and is basically an extension of the factory warranty (minus interior trims), its well worth it! Not all dealerships do it, but most. You might use this as a haggling tool in your negotiations.

If its any additional comfort, I have a 4 & 1/2 year old Prestige and I still feel like I've just driven it off the showroom floor, and the extended warranty adds to that feeling. Friends and family are awestruck when they see the car and ride in it, and I tell them its over 4 years old!

Even had a stranger in the supermarket car park come up to me a few weeks and say "hey lovely new Lexus - nice". I said to her it was over 4 years old, and she nearly fell over. Probably helps that Lexus generally keep the same shape for 6-7 years on each of its models.

Best of luck in the purchase. I can't recommend Lexus highly enough, after initially wanting a European and following on from a brief flirt with an A4 I had for 6 months (the 1.8T). Nicely finished, but it kept giving me little issues of grief. I find the IS250 far more fun to drive and responsive that the 'pedestrian' A4 ever was.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks soo much for the replys.

Yeah I am not much of a fan of the woodgrain that the Sports Luxury comes with. Wow the extended warranty is awesome value for 2K.

I was also wondering if both the Sports & Sports Luxury come with the same size wheels and if the Sports is slightly lowered than the Sports Luxury. Just trying to figure out what they have done, because the Sports one looks quite sporty than the Sports Luxury.

Thanks soo much for the replys.

Yeah I am not much of a fan of the woodgrain that the Sports Luxury comes with. Wow the extended warranty is awesome value for 2K.

I was also wondering if both the Sports & Sports Luxury come with the same size wheels and if the Sports is slightly lowered than the Sports Luxury. Just trying to figure out what they have done, because the Sports one looks quite sporty than the Sports Luxury.

sports is a little lower in the front. forgot the exact measurements though!

Prior to the 2009 update, my recollection for the wheels is 16's on the Prestige, 18's on the Sports and 17's on the S.Luxury. Suspension set up is the the same in the Prestige and SL, Sports is officially given 'sports suspension'. Since the 2009 update, the specs have changed - check the lexus website.

I checked my warranty through Melb City Lexus (was $2,220 = $2k + GST) and is for an additional 36 months up to a total of 150,000km on the clock (in total - so essentially you get a 7 yr /150,000 km warranty). Again, the extended warranty is as good as the initial factory warranty, but excludes interior trims and roadside assistance.