Getting my car serviced today for 45,000km and had the usual call from them saying that this and that needed to be done.

1 - they said that I needed to replace / clean the carbon build up? I have never heard this before and sounds like a bit of crap to get an extra $150 out of me

2 - the usual of every car service, the air con needs to be re-gassed also $150.

To me, it all sounds like a pile of crap, but any if anyone with a mechanical mind can convince me otherwise, please do.

No, I'm not a mechanic, but ...

When getting my last two cars serviced - both Toyotas - I used to get the offer for a fuel injector or other form of engine clean every time. I wonder if Toyota Australia (including Lexus) service consultants are trained ask if you want fries with that - or, should I say, "You NEED fries with that!"

Since buying my second Toyota, I resolved never to accept the offer to clean such build-up; instead, if I continue using premium fuel with added cleaners, that should be enough. According to Caltex, you just need two consecutive full tanks of Vortex to significantly clean your engine. Seeing that I almost always used 95-98 RON fuel on my engine (even though it could take 91 RON), I got good power and a clean engine to boot, without needing cleaners or additives at servicing - at least, that's the theory ...

Nowadays, all premium fuels sold in Australia contain cleaners (as well as Shell 91 Unleaded). Question is, have you always been using premium unleaded in your IS, as recommended? If so, then either the Lexus service rep is lying, or my theory doesn't (always) work.

As for the aircon re-gassing - not sure there. I've never had problems with Denso aircon over 13 years.

Cheers

It's usual tactics to sell additional services.

I'm not a qualified mechanic but I am mechanically minded - I haven't seen a car that needed injectors cleaned out <50,000km.

Depends on how they are doing it also. If they are ultrasonic injector cleaners then the $150 warrants that. But if they just pour injector cleaner then it doesn't.

The air-con probably just needs to be checked for leaks etc. Hooked up to a pressure guage is all they do. Any air con retailer should be able to do this for cheaper I imagine.

My theory is if it aint broken - don't fix it :)

Getting my car serviced today for 45,000km and had the usual call from them saying that this and that needed to be done.

1 - they said that I needed to replace / clean the carbon build up? I have never heard this before and sounds like a bit of crap to get an extra $150 out of me

2 - the usual of every car service, the air con needs to be re-gassed also $150.

To me, it all sounds like a pile of crap, but any if anyone with a mechanical mind can convince me otherwise, please do.

So what did you end decided to do, or not do?

I actually went for the fuel injection clean at 45k (mainly because my dealership were offering it to me for about $65). Its not just a 'flush', there is the removal of part of the fuel injection system for a physical brush to remove build up.

Ive run my car on RON98 for most of its life, (it has the occassional RON95 fill up), and I did actually notice an improvement in acceleration and economy (Ive posted this somewhere else). You could argue that that may've come from the engine tune, but I didnt notice the improvement after my 30k or 60k service (only after the 45k where the injection service was done). There was no way I would've paid $150 for it, but at $65, I gave it a go.

I was told its the specific design of the injectors in the IS where a injector clean is required every 45k. Maybe Im a sucker - maybe not, but I did notice a discernable change in acceleration and about a 0.5L improvement in economy.

I'll probably get it again at 90k, but would be negotiating the same deal as last time, if they want me to pay for it.