Best Car Insurance For Your Is250

Hi Everyone,

Just bought my first Lexus IS250 2006 Prestige with EMV pack, and currently shopping around for a Car Insurance..

If you guys could share your experience about your Insurance for your "Precious" IS250.. that'll be great..

e.g. The reason you go with that car insurance..

- Cheap..

- Immaculate Repair..

- Quick Turn around?

- Reliable Service?

- Good Customer Service..

Any insight will be really appreciate it..

:)

Cheers,

p0c1

Cheers for that..

I manage to found the thread..

which one would you guys suggest the best insurance for me..

- AAMI - $1280 - Includes all the Car Hire & Windscreen free excess

- Pro: Cheap, actual person for Customer service..

- Con: I've read heap of bad stuff about AAMI at Productreviews.com.au, but the one that really worries me is when they go for the cheapest cost..maybe using some dodgy repair shop..(that might cut some corner to win the quote..)

- The Buzz - $1480 - Preety much the same with AAMI option

- Pro: able to choose your own Repair shop..!!

- Con: Slight more expensive, for the windscreen replacement.. they use O'Brien Glass.. (is that good!?)

- Lexus Chatswood - Warranty - $1576

- Pro: Guareenteed using genuine parts..

- Con: More expensive..and didn't include the Car Hire when you car is being fix..

A&G (Budget Direct) - $1125 fully comprehensive insured as a business vehicle (ie. more than private).

I'm old though (over 30) with rating 1 so it's quite cheap for a $70k vehicle.

A majority of people search for the cheapest insurance company and choose that one; do not let this be you because you might not get the coverage that you desire. Do not always pick the cheapest insurance because this is the protection of your car! You do not want the cheapest insurance if there is not good protection in the plan!

Edited by LEX51S

Thanks angelika the robot... can a mod remove that post. It's a bot that has signed up just to reply to insurance posts by the looks of it. The link goes to a US site.

Thanks for the suggestions guys..

Ended up going with the "BUZZ Insurance"..

just becoz they let you use / choose your own repairer...

instead getting some dodgy repairer to fix your car..

Cheers,

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I got mine with Lexus, about 1100 bucks per annum. Was cehaper than HBF, Allianz, RAC and all the rest.

I had a small cliam about a year ago (driver's door got a bit dented in the carpark), it got fixed smoothly no problems. ANd I was only about two months into the policy lol.

• 3 weeks later...

It's time to renew my insurance, and I'm currently waiting on a quote through my Lexus dealer.

In the meantime, I'm shopping around. I've noticed that while thebuzz has a low premium, they will not guarantee use of genuine parts, regardless of the age of the vehicle. Some other insurers will guarantee genuine parts in the first 1-2 years, or for the life of the new car warranty.

Should your insurer allow you to choose your repairer, they will almost certainly reserve the right to request a re-quote from the repairer ... meaning that, if they won't guarantee use of genuine parts, your preferred repairer may end up using non-genuine parts anyway.

Of course, if the insurer chooses the repairer, they will guarantee the workmanship for at least the period you own the car (so they say).

Given this knowledge, does it really matter if you can't choose your repairer? In shopping around for the lowest acceptable premium, wouldn't the main issue be the use of genuine versus not-so-well-fitting clone parts? I'd like to know your thoughts.

When I took delivery of my 'F' late February this year, I shopped around for the cheapest insurance. I found that GIO had the cheapest ($1140/year). I had my home/content insurance with them as well so received a further discount from them.

I also took the highest excess of $2500 + $500 (High performance vehicle excess).. so $3k excess all up.

I figured that I dont drive my car all too often.. Only a weekend car.. maybe drive 1 day a week for an hour or so.. if that.

If I got it stolen, I wouldnt mind forking out $3k for a new replacement car.

I suppose a lot depends on what you value more - lower premiums or hassle-free claims.

I'm insured with AAMI and their processes and customer service are quite terrific - and reasonably competitive as well.

To give you an idea of costs, for an insured agreed value of $52K on my IS250 SL (2007), my premium was $1004, with an excess of $645...and this covers the windscreen as well. This is for a Rating 1 driver, with more than one car insured with AAMI.

Having said this, am about to find out how the latest repairs go - the job did not go to a "Lexus recommended repairer" - for a minor scruff on the rear bumper. Will update later.

Hope this helps

Subby

• 4 weeks later...

This year, I eventually stayed with CommInsure for around $1050. There were cheaper offers with Progressive Direct and Coles Insurance. CommInsure, however, offers replacement cover on 0-2 yo vehicles. Next year, I'll check out Mutual Community (yes, a health fund offering general insurance), as they offer replacement cover on vehicles up to 3 years old. If your car is older - or you're not interested in replacement cover, do check out Coles - the latter has choice of repairer (with conditions) and currently, if you live in Sydney's North Shore, they will undercut a renewal quotation from GIO, NRMA or AAMI by $100.

Wow ... Panther got $587 with Budget ... I couldn't get a quote with them below $794, even without all the frills.

Edited by Lexus Nerd

• 1 month later...

Hey just needed some help with insuring an 07 prestige with emv.

For personal reasons the car must be under my mothers name

From some brief searching I've noticed some policies wont cover in the event that an under 25 year-old is driving at the time of accident.

What then would be my best choice if the policy would be under my mothers name but would also cover any under 25year old drivers not listed on the policy. I am happy to pay an inflated excess if an under age driver was driving at the time of accident.

Sorry for the stupid question guys but my last car was an accord euro and I found no point in covering it comprehensively.

From some brief searching I've noticed some policies wont cover in the event that an under 25 year-old is driving at the time of accident.

True, some policies won't cover under-26's, but that's only because the policyholders have asked for that option from their insurers. From what I can tell, every comprehensive car insurer will, by default, insure a driver aged 25 or under. The policyholder can pay a lower premium to exclude drivers not named on the policy, or for drivers under 26 (or under other ages such as 30 in some cases), but it's an option to which the policyholder has to agree.

What then would be my best choice if the policy would be under my mothers name but would also cover any under 25year old drivers not listed on the policy. I am happy to pay an inflated excess if an under age driver was driving at the time of accident.

Further to my point above: as long as the policyholder hasn't excluded under-26's from the policy, they will be covered. Of course, it is almost certain that an age excess would apply.

The only remaining question, then, is how to minimise the premium, if not the excess? I think this is where you have to shop around and try to find an insurer that doesn't need you to be named on the policy, even if you are a family member of the policyholder or a regular driver of the vehicle. From what I've just read, GIO MAY fit in this category, which might explain why a certain young 'un in this forum has found GIO to offer (relatively) cheap insurance when I (at aged 31+) think they're rather expensive. NRMA MAY also fit in this category, whereas Coles Insurance and Progressive Direct require you to name family members and/or regular drivers. That doesn't mean the latter have expensive premiums, so do shop around.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible if somebody obtains insurance from an insurer that refuses a claim for whatever reason.

Budget Direct won't insure my 09 IS250 for any under 25 year old. Had to shop around as renewal is next week and noticed that on the quotation page.

That being said, they are offering the best deal I can find at the moment. $580/year for a 32 year old, no under 30 drivers and upped the excess to $1100 as I don't intend to claim, so the premium is reduced.

CORRECTIONS:

From what I can tell, every comprehensive car insurer will, by default, insure a driver aged 25 or under ...

Obviously not Budget Direct - thanks Atlantis. There must be others, then, that will refuse under-25's ...

The only remaining question, then, is how to minimise the premium, if not the excess? I think this is where you have to shop around and try to find an insurer that doesn't need you to be named on the policy, even if you are a family member of the policyholder or a regular driver of the vehicle. From what I've just read, GIO MAY fit in this category, which might explain why a certain young 'un in this forum has found GIO to offer (relatively) cheap insurance when I (at aged 31+) think they're rather expensive ...

Now I remember - said young 'un's parent switched to AAMI after GIO was too expensive. I must be getting old.