After i had my car repaired i was told to come back in six weeks for paint protection.

Ive heard mixed opinions about doin it or not. Does any one know if its worth the waste of a day off to take it and get it done or is it just as good to clay it up and wax it myself. Btw its free the paint protect.

Thanks.

Been reading up over on detailparadise forums and the overclockers motoring forum and the general consensus there is that the only true form of paint protection is frequent sealant/wax. I'm personally not going to bother with paint protection on mine, it usually carries a healthy coat of dodojuice hard wax.

That's not like your type

By "Your type" you mean good looking and funny? Hahaha

to say not to pay for it. You should be pushing it :D

Not only don't push it but don't offer it!

Paint protection maybe acceptable on cars with cheaper/inferior/lower quality factory paint.

You pay a premium to buy a Lexus. Premium paint is one benefit, paint that exceeds the industry norm.

Have a read of the following......tell me you don't feel warm and fuzzy about your Lexus after reading it.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/magazine/content.do#:/pub-share/magazine/html/Vehicle-Insider/Takumi-Files-Paint.html

I expect everyone that reads it will go out and wash their car with pride when they're finished.

You might even bar up!!!! Clay bar of course. :D

It won't harm the car and if its free then go for it but I wouldn't pay for it.

hmmm not that im worried about it being harmed. and im not paying for it but ill have a day paid of annual leave wasted to get it done.

im in a twist as in, if i "bar up" is that not as good as this stuff. i dont even know if its genuine lexus paint protect.

claying the car is that as good as paint protect does anyone know this. as i would rather have the self satisfaction of doing it myself even though its hard work then taking it and not knowing what they are putting on my car.

Have a read of the following......tell me you don't feel warm and fuzzy about your Lexus after reading it.

https://secure.drive...iles-Paint.html

True, warm and fuzzy indeed! It also explains why the touch-up paint doesn't have metallic flakes ... it's in the clear coat. Thanks for that.

But, as Chris says, the question for him is whether there's anything beneficial in getting paint protection over his repair work. Every DIY paint repair article I've read on the Net mentions waxing after painting and clear coating ... but is the repair shop's paint protection job any better than DIY waxing?

Chris, do you know whether declining the paint protection will affect your repair warranty?

i dont even know if its genuine lexus paint protect.

All paint protection types are aftermarket products. Not geniune.

Paint protection is like waxing your car. Its applied the same way.

Like I said its not a bad thing but usually way overpriced.

You can do it yourself....$70: probably less if you shop around.

http://www.colourshield.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=180

In my opinion its waxing by another name.

i dont even know if its genuine lexus paint protect.

All paint protection types are aftermarket products. Not geniune.

Paint protection is like waxing your car. Its applied the same way.

Like I said its not a bad thing but usually way overpriced.

You can do it yourself....$70: probably less if you shop around.

http://www.colourshield.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=180

In my opinion its waxing by another name.

I see. Thanks jake. And As far as im aware it wont void any repair warranty.

Clay time this weekend. Any volunteers to help. Lol.

Clay does the opposite of protect your paint... it strips everything off it so you can polish then wax it.

Also, it barely takes an hour to clay an IS. Never took me much more than that do to a Soarer which is huge.

Clay does the opposite of protect your paint... it strips everything off it so you can polish then wax it.

Also, it barely takes an hour to clay an IS. Never took me much more than that do to a Soarer which is huge.

well. i lightly clayed the car today and used meguirs nxt gen 2.0 wax to polish / wax.

the results for a silver car were just wow. i thought it was already glossy. well now its mirror clear. its amazing.

I over-stocked some NXT Generation wax some years ago (or, should I say, I didn't wax the old Camry as often as I thought I would have), so that's what I'm now using on my IS.

Is the NXT Generation 2.0 noticeably better?