hi guys,

me again, can i please ask a couple of newbie questions, i recently bought an 09 IS250.

here goes,

1)the front defrost is annoying. when i need the windscreen defrost i press the defrost button which is all good, but when i want it off by pressing the button again, it switches to air-con instead of off. is this the way it supposed to be?

2) does your warning message goes away? the one the pop up every time you start the engine? i have to press "I Agree" every time, annoying but i guess i can live with it

3)is your car noisy when moving? i find that the wind / road noise is a bit much for a Lexus. when my car is moving at about 50Kmh+, the wind noise is annoying, i expect it to be whisper quite, am i expecting too much here :)

4) apparently the moonroof clicking noise over rough road is a common problem, anyone found a permanent solution? i read that cleaning it and silicon spraying may help but a permanent solution would be great. again, unwanted noise from a car at this price range is not a good feeling :)

thanks in advance..but i m sure i have more questions later :)

hi guys,

me again, can i please ask a couple of newbie questions, i recently bought an 09 IS250.

here goes,

1)the front defrost is annoying. when i need the windscreen defrost i press the defrost button which is all good, but when i want it off by pressing the button again, it switches to air-con instead of off. is this the way it supposed to be?

2) does your warning message goes away? the one the pop up every time you start the engine? i have to press "I Agree" every time, annoying but i guess i can live with it

3)is your car noisy when moving? i find that the wind / road noise is a bit much for a Lexus. when my car is moving at about 50Kmh+, the wind noise is annoying, i expect it to be whisper quite, am i expecting too much here :)

4) apparently the moonroof clicking noise over rough road is a common problem, anyone found a permanent solution? i read that cleaning it and silicon spraying may help but a permanent solution would be great. again, unwanted noise from a car at this price range is not a good feeling :)

1. do u mean the front defogger? or the actual defrost (i dont think many people would need a defroster in australia) the defrost button in the one next to the steering wheel, near the boot open and fuel cap open buttons. with the defogger, when i use it then turn it off, the aircon comes ON, not off, so i need to press the aircon off button after i press the defogger. pretty annoying, but i barely use it anyway

2. i dont think theres anyway to get rid of the road rules screen

3. what rims/tyres do u have?? i have the OEM 18" sport rims, with stock tyres and i dont really get that much road noise, plus i have music on 100% of the time im driving

4. you can take it to the dealer or tell at your next service, but apprently you need to replicate the problem for them to fix it

i get it aswell and it is VERY annoying, so i just have it slide open now, not tilted

hope that answers some of your questions!

hi guys,

here goes,

1) i believe so. its programmed to do what lexus intends is best for you.

2) its there for legal reasons so you probably will not be able to remove it.

3) alot of noise comes down to tire choice. it has a big part to play in noises.

4) you will have to ask lexus about a permanent solution but i doubt they have a permanent solution apart from buying the new model in which its probably rectified.

hi guys,

here goes,

1) i believe so. its programmed to do what lexus intends is best for you.

2) its there for legal reasons so you probably will not be able to remove it.

3) alot of noise comes down to tire choice. it has a big part to play in noises.

4) you will have to ask lexus about a permanent solution but i doubt they have a permanent solution apart from buying the new model in which its probably rectified.

1. same as lex51s

2. same as lex51s

3. i'm on 18 goodyear eagle assymetrics and its no different to the 16" stock setup i had.

4. i had the same problem. told the dealer at chatswood and they fixed it. i did not have to replicate the problem although they never told me what they did. i didn't bother asking either as they fixed the problem and thats all i cared about.

1) It didn't do that on mine when I tested it a minute ago. I made sure the air con was off, then pressed the front defogger button. The A/C switched on, but when I pressed the front defogger button a second time, the air con switched off. I suspect that you are exiting the defogging mode by pressing the AUTO button ... but be aware, the A/C will always turn on whenever you choose the AUTO air mode - this is the least obvious "feature" of the IS250 air con! Instead, try pressing the defogger button to exit defogging mode.

2) You only have to press "I Agree" if you decide to use route guidance. Otherwise, you can just ignore it. If you don't want to use route guidance while driving, press the DISP button, then press the Screen Off button on the LCD. The next time you start the car, you won't see the safety message appear, even if you use the audio, telephone or A/C controls; you'll only see it if you attempt to use route guidance.

3&4)Since the car is (most likely) under warranty, you might as well have it checked out for free by a Lexus service centre. Don't worry, they won't think you're asking for too much :-)

Hi all

thanks for the responses,

with regard to the defogging (sorry not defrosting :)), when i press the defogging button ON the thing switch on and defog pretty quickly, when i want to turn it off i press the defogging button again, then it swicthes to "auto", bloody annoying, i have to press the "off" button to switch everything off.

one more question, how do you transfer the phone book from the iphone to the car?

i tried the transfer thing but nothing happens..

with regard to the defogging (sorry not defrosting smile.gif), when i press the defogging button ON the thing switch on and defog pretty quickly, when i want to turn it off i press the defogging button again, then it swicthes to "auto", bloody annoying, i have to press the "off" button to switch everything off.

The following statement appears in an older US version of the Navigation System Owner's Manual, published online. It should really appear in the one distributed in Australia, too - with one qualification:

If you push the windshield air flow [defogger] button once again while in the windshield air flow mode, the mode then returns to the last mode used.

But this assumes that the state where everything - the fan, A/C and defogger - are switched off is not a valid "mode"! So there's three options:

1. If, when you last operated the ventilation system, you ran it in AUTO mode, then, when you press the defogger button twice (to turn on, then off), the ventilation system will run in AUTO mode - this includes A/C on.

2. If, when you last operated the ventilation system, the A/C was off (which means it wasn't in AUTO mode), then, when you press the defogger button twice, the ventilation system will return to the ventilation system's last fan speed, but the A/C will be switched off.

3. To make sure neither the A/C nor the fan operate when you turn off defogging, you could just press the OFF button while the defogger is running. It leaves the defogger's orange LED lit, but that shouldn't be a big deal - it's not really doing much without a fan to blow the air.

Personally, I don't mind leaving the ventilation system running (i.e. option 1 or 2 above), as you can hardly hear or feel the fan if the inside temperature is close to the preferred temperature. And you may as well enjoy the climate controls if you've invested in such a nice car.

one more question, how do you transfer the phone book from the iphone to the car?

It worked flawlessly for me, but I should note I've refused the last few system upgrades offered through iTunes. If you have already upgraded your iPhone to OS 4.0 or later, refer to this thread:

http://au.lexusowner...?showtopic=9366

It worked flawlessly for me, but I should note I've refused the last few system upgrades offered through iTunes. If you have already upgraded your iPhone to OS 4.0 or later, refer to this thread:

Actually, forget I mentioned the thread relating to iPhone OS 4.0 - that only relates to using your iPhone as an iPod-like music player via USB. Transferring contacts from your iPhone works via Bluetooth and, as I mentioned, I didn't have a problem with that. Trouble is, I can't remember what procedure I used! The manual suggests that the procedure will differ based on the Bluetooth profiles that the phone supports, but doesn't precisely state the steps involved in each type of procedure ...

Anyhow, I found this on the Net:

http://lexusbluetooth.letstalk.com/brands/lexus-bt/pdf/551_08Navi.pdf

(To pair other phones with any Lexus, start here: http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/accessories/bluetooth.html)

If you still have problems, let me know. I'll try to reset my contacts in the nav system, then I'll tell you exactly what steps I followed.

Actually, forget I mentioned the thread relating to iPhone OS 4.0 - that only relates to using your iPhone as an iPod-like music player via USB. Transferring contacts from your iPhone works via Bluetooth and, as I mentioned, I didn't have a problem with that. Trouble is, I can't remember what procedure I used! The manual suggests that the procedure will differ based on the Bluetooth profiles that the phone supports, but doesn't precisely state the steps involved in each type of procedure ...

Anyhow, I found this on the Net:

http://lexusbluetooth.letstalk.com/brands/lexus-bt/pdf/551_08Navi.pdf

(To pair other phones with any Lexus, start here: http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/accessories/bluetooth.html)

If you still have problems, let me know. I'll try to reset my contacts in the nav system, then I'll tell you exactly what steps I followed.

THanks, very informative..

my car is going to melbourne city lexus to fix the sunroof rattle.. the tech guy said it's common and they have a fix for it..he also said there is a fix for the rattling in the dash, so if your car rattles there is a fix apparently..time will tell..

THanks, very informative..

my car is going to melbourne city lexus to fix the sunroof rattle.. the tech guy said it's common and they have a fix for it..he also said there is a fix for the rattling in the dash, so if your car rattles there is a fix apparently..time will tell..

its true. lexus service will fix ANYTHING you ask. NO MATTER HOW SMALL THE RATTLE. its awesome.

you hear more rattles in a quite car lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just trying to get these initial things setup but struggling to sync my iphone contacts.

Has anyone else had dramas? I'm just doing the 4.0 to 4.1 software update on the phone, but do you think that could have been the problem?

I've checked over the steps here. When it says to connect to the device to transfer contacts it just sits there, then times out and fails after about a minute.

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Guys,

Just trying to get these initial things setup but struggling to sync my iphone contacts.

Has anyone else had dramas? I'm just doing the 4.0 to 4.1 software update on the phone, but do you think that could have been the problem?

I've checked over the steps here. When it says to connect to the device to transfer contacts it just sits there, then times out and fails after about a minute.

Cheers,

Dan

my doesn't work either so i gave up.. and i have 4.1 too i think..

btw.. the rattle in my sun roof is fixed :) yay.. but that was after two attempts..

I've been checking a number of Websites ... One thing is for certain: iOS 4.x has certainly mucked around with Bluetooth compatibility, not just USB connectivity. Users of a number of Bluetooth devices on a number of vehicle makes (Hyundai, Ford, Fiat, ...) have raised complaints with iOS 4.0 or 4.01, including syncing of contacts timing out after a while; some, but not all Bluetooth devices, have started working properly with the iPhone after the phone is upgraded to 4.1. This clearly shows a dependency between the iPhone's OS version and your chance of success in using Bluetooth with a car's phonebook feature.

It seems that choosing "Reset All Settings" on the iPhone, and re-pairing with the Lexus, might fix the problem if you had performed an iPhone OS upgrade since pairing the phone with the Lexus. But if it doesn't fix the problem - or if you have always used the one OS version on your iPhone - then it looks like you'll need to downgrade to iOS 3.x, or wait until Apple fixes the problem in a later OS version.

I've just tried an iPhone 3G with iOS 4.0.1 - contacts transferred without a problem. So either specific versions (4.0, 4.0.2, 4.1) have problems, or there are other reasons for others' sync problems. (I assume we all have <1000 numbers/contacts?)

P.S. Best explanation I've seen for this problem: "You're holding it the wrong way!" :-P