Hey guys,

I'm a new member here. I'm currently considering purchasing an 06 model IS 250. I was just wondering if there are any common problems that are well documented regarding this model or anything that I should look out for when I go to check out the car?

Also, can anyone tell me what difference in features there are between the sports and sports luxury models? The salesman told me something about GPS and leather seats but a comprehensive list would be helpful.

Any help/input would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Simon

The early IS models, including 2006, was subject to a number of recalls but, once the recall fixes have been implemented (as should be the case with any well-maintained Lexus), I haven't heard of any major issues.

Combining service bulletins with what I've seen on this forum over the past three months, there isn't much to complain about, and they're not mechanical issues:

- Front seat squeak

- Various rattles, e.g. in glovebox

- Not all iPhones work perfectly with console, either as phone handset or as an iPod

- Excessive dust from front original equipment brakes

- OE tyres wear out quickly and are relatively noisy

- Rotten-egg odour (currently being discussed on this forum)

One possible complaint involves steering pull and/or stability. Each of the few complaints appear to be slightly different, and don't necessarily point to a problem with the IS250 per se. IMHO, they may be one-off issues that are no less likely to occur to the IS than other vehicles, while movement in crosswinds or tendency to follow ruts may just be a by-product of having a rear-wheel-drive car.

If you get a model registered late in 2006, or one with an extended warranty, you should be able to get any of the mechanical, rattle or squeak issues fixed by a Lexus dealer.

the rotten egg smell is actually due to exhaust after given a good run

it's a toyota/lexus thing

my rx350 smells like that too

even my mates camry and aurion

one thing to really watch out is the Camgear backlash noise

I just posted my theory on the rotten egg smell elsewhere on this forum.

I didn't mention the camgear noise, 'cause that was one of those early-model issues fixed by a recall ... hope I'm right?

I just posted my theory on the rotten egg smell elsewhere on this forum.

I didn't mention the camgear noise, 'cause that was one of those early-model issues fixed by a recall ... hope I'm right?

nah some of the later models still have this

but most were fixed under warranty

Here's a little more info from another thread. It includes brief explanations ("fault[y] cam gear due to [a] design problem"), links to how a similar problem would be fixed on an IS350, and a video of an IS250 that was confirmed by other members to have the same problem.

http://au.lexusowner...?showtopic=9330

Evolb - you'll need to put into context the 'problems' that are discussed about the IS!! You should have a look at owners forums of other makes in the IS' class and see what comes up!! The problems discussed in this forum I consider to be 'trivial' compared with some of the electrical, mechanical, customer service and driveability issues discussed with other makes in the class (ie. A4, 159, C180/200, 320i, Passat).

Us Lexus drivers typically are pedantic, fastitious and picky - which is perhaps why we drive Lexus! The 'issues' I've had with my 2006 IS are inconsequential compared with the issues that my friends and colleagues have had with their Mercs, BMs, Alfas and Audi/VWs. That goes for rattles too - with such a quiet cabin, any little rattle will be amplified, whereas the same rattle would not even be heard in any other cabin.

Whereas often you'll hear of arguments and battles between owners and service centres with some of the European marques as to what work is under warranty, Lexus will typically not even bat an eyelid to a customer concern.

My 2006 IS is driving today like its just come off the showroom floor. Over the 4 years, Ive had a VVTi rattling issue on occasional cold start up (fixed by dealer at service without fuss), a squeaky sunroof (fixed by dealer at request, no fuss) and a squeaky drivers seat (fixed by dealer without fuss). That's it. One other issue related to brake caliper pins they fixed to improve performance, and I wasnt even aware of the issue.

Compare these "issues" with multiple colleagues' of mine with younger 1 and 3 series that have been off the road for weeks at a time, or the common electrical/computer issues you'll find in the Merc C-class where a family friend took Benz to court (and my grandfather with 3 computer problems in his C-class), the dramas you'll often find in VW/Audi drivetrains (first hand experience!) or the heart-in-mouth 'reliability' of anything Alfa.

And of course, with most Lexus dealerships in Australia, you can extend your factory warranty for a further 3 years, after the first 4 year period expires (for about $2k - full factory warranty, minus interior trim). I'm not sure if the other prestige marques have the confidence in their product to do that!