• 2 weeks later...

Ok... this recall thing starts to really piss me off...

Why would they recall a 5 year old car..!! Took them 5 year to realize... (oh... we got a problem over here..)

why they did not do it sooner...

Toyota... oh toyota....

T_T

I was watching not that long ago and I think the affected Lexus IS vehicles from memory are 05-08 build. Not sure which markets are affected though as it was a US link.

Apparently it's the seal between the plastic fluid reservoir and the metal master brake cylinder - Check if it's seaping? I'm in Melbourne but my car's in Sydney :(

Lexus Australia hasn't posted anything on their Website yet, but one of our local papers does show which models and years are affected. Six hundred and fifty one IS250s manufactured between September and November 2005 and sold in Australia are affected, but some RX330s and GS300s built in or before 2005 are are affected too.

http://theage.drive.com.au/toyota-australia-recalls-cars-over-brake-problems-20101022-16xwc.html

Ok... this recall thing starts to really piss me off...

Why would they recall a 5 year old car..!! Took them 5 year to realize... (oh... we got a problem over here..)

why they did not do it sooner...

Toyota... oh toyota....

T_T

another car I own had a recall recently...and it's 15 years old! amazed me.

i highly doube we will have recalls on the is250

most of the problems are coming from the US cuz they manufacture alot of the parts from the US

our cars are JDM spec cars (made in japan)

obviously the built quality is different too

just cuz they have the same standard of quality doesnt mean they are equally good

japanese plants have very strick QA

most of the problems are coming from the US cuz they manufacture alot of the parts from the US

just cuz they have the same standard of quality doesnt mean they are equally good

I'm 99% sure all IS250s are made in Japan. I don't imagine a lot (if any) of the parts besides dealer add-ons being made in the US on a car coming out of Japan - Doesn't make sense to me?

I'm 99% sure all IS250s are made in Japan. I don't imagine a lot (if any) of the parts besides dealer add-ons being made in the US on a car coming out of Japan - Doesn't make sense to me?

big diff is LHD vs RHD

shell might be the same

but pedals

steering and brakes and electrical and hardward are manufactured in the US or canada

big diff is LHD vs RHD

shell might be the same

but pedals

steering and brakes and electrical and hardward are manufactured in the US or canada

Yeah I'm aware of the LHD/RHD difference, but that still doesn't make sense to me. What about all the Euro models that are also LHD? It doesn't make logistical sense for the stuff you've listed to be made in the USA, shipped over to Japan and fitted to vehicles being sent back to the US, when Japan has the manufacturing infrastructure, economies of scale, and (what I would imagine to be) cheaper production costs.

I'm aware that parts for cars are sourced globally, but for a part to be sourced from the US for a Japanese produced vehicle simply because of a LHD/RHD difference doesn't seem normal.

Or are you saying that the cars themselves are built IN the US? Because while Wikipedia isn't always the most credible source of information, it does suggest that there's only 3 plants the IS250 is produced in, all being in Japan - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_IS

parts are sourced from globaly from the toyota parts network so it pretty much doesnt cost much to move parts around in your own network

remember toyota is a big big company they wont be ordering parts in the 100's it'll be 100's each time on a regular basis

also making a particular part in japan will be much more expensive than a mass production plant in the US that LHD that can be used on many cars toyota/scion/lexus etc

IS250s are probably made in japan im not 100% but i know lexus has a candadian plant that makes the RX range and a few others

also remember lexus is

Luxury

Export to

US

it's a car maker that was aim at the US market

lexus didnt sell in japan it was sold as toyota untill the late 90's

parts are sourced from globaly from the toyota parts network so it pretty much doesnt cost much to move parts around in your own network

remember toyota is a big big company they wont be ordering parts in the 100's it'll be 100's each time on a regular basis

also making a particular part in japan will be much more expensive than a mass production plant in the US that LHD that can be used on many cars toyota/scion/lexus etc

IS250s are probably made in japan im not 100% but i know lexus has a candadian plant that makes the RX range and a few others

also remember lexus is

Luxury

Export to

US

Yeah I'm aware of all that. My point was against the vague blanket statement implying that simply because a certain vehicle was destined for the USDM, its parts are made there, and that "LHD vs RHD shell might be the same but pedals steering and brakes and electrical and hardward are manufactured in the US or canada". We'll just leave it at that I respectfully disagree. :)

For what it's worth, as a whole vehicle (not taking into account globally sourced parts) while on the phone to a buddy of mine in Boston who has an ISF, and previously an IS250, he noted that the cars were produced in Japan according to the stickers with their VIN info.

also remember lexus is

Luxury

Export to

US

Yeah I'm aware of all that. My point was against the vague blanket statement implying that simply because a certain vehicle was destined for the USDM, its parts are made there, and that "LHD vs RHD shell might be the same but pedals steering and brakes and electrical and hardward are manufactured in the US or canada". We'll just leave it at that I respectfully disagree. :)

For what it's worth, as a whole vehicle (not taking into account globally sourced parts) while on the phone to a buddy of mine in Boston who has an ISF, and previously an IS250, he noted that the cars were produced in Japan according to the stickers with their VIN info.

ok maybe my statement about the meaning of lexus has led to your misunderstanding (had nothing to do with it)

point is.

Japan where the Is250 is made is RHD

most parts made for the IS250 (can come from everywhere) china,japan,korea,US,malaysia etc

so you have a car that is made in japan that consist of different parts from different part of the world.

all mass production car companies outsource their parts it makes sense in a business term.

toyota has plants in north america obviously making LHD cars.(LHD steering rack pedals etc)

obviously brining in existing components from their north american plants are much cheaper than setting up a new LHD components plant in a country that only produces RHD.

A car made in japan doesnt always consist of parts made in japan.

also have you noticed that most of the cars that have that accelerator pedal recalls are LHD cars? mainly in the US? (which i think lexus was blamed to cover up their asses)

Yes, yes, I'm aware of all that eg Toyota->Denso among others, Nissan->Calsonic Kansei among others etc..

My initial point was I didn't imagine "a lot, if any" of the parts coming from the US - While I admit this was a bit narrow sighted and neglected to take into account of the global sourcing of parts for vehicles (remember the furore over the percentage of parts for the VE Commodore that are made overseas?), my thought was on the basis that the plants would also be serving all of Europe for IS250 production. It would only really serve to be cheaper to make the part in the US if the part is a shared part across several models - I'm not familiar with the specifics of shared parts on the IS250 besides brake calipers which are a non-complex part.

What I still disagree with are the blanket statements that "most of the problems are coming from the US cuz they manufacture alot of the parts from the US" and that "LHD vs RHD shell might be the same but pedals steering and brakes and electrical and hardward are manufactured in the US or canada". You don't know that for certain, and from an engineering standpoint, it's only a trivial matter to manufacture LHD and RHD variants of a part under the same roof (Up till recently, I did R&D and failure analysis for a motor manufacturer, and previously for aerospace firms), even moreso if a design like a steering rack is virtually a mirror image of its counterpart. The basis of overseas parts manufacture is usually either local expertise or radical cost savings due to mass economies of scale on non-complex parts.

It's worth noting that there are compounded issues in the whole accelerator pedal recall in the US - one being locally manufactured, dealer fitted floor mats, which doesn't affect us in AU.

Anyway, I'm bowing out and won't reply further on the subject - we can agree to disagree on this!

well each to their opinions right and thats wat makes forums more exciting :D

my knowledge is actually via research from clublexus and iv came across this information when i was researching up on power steering failure due to aftermarket HID lights..

anyhow

u coming to the meet Johnny?

my knowledge is actually via research from clublexus and iv came across this information when i was researching up on power steering failure due to aftermarket HID lights..

anyhow

Exactly :)

Nup, will be in LA then. Looking at trying to get some F-Sport parts shipped to my hotel, but am a bit wary of bringing back swaybars/chassis brace etc as checked luggage :-/

anyhow

Exactly :)

Nup, will be in LA then. Looking at trying to get some F-Sport parts shipped to my hotel, but am a bit wary of bringing back swaybars/chassis brace etc as checked luggage :-/

yeah iv done that before..

the demensions arent to worry

it's the weight.

but mate if u have the chance do it.

saves a bucket load of money

best way is

chassis brace +sway bar + intake and exhaust in 1 box

as you can fit em all in there on the biggest box

it's worth it if u pay abit more for over weight luggage as shipping on those parts will probably cost you around 2K lol

As you know I have just purchased my Is250. So I can know that my lexus' recalls are up to date should I

1. Call my local dealer

2. Call the previous servicing dealers

3. Call Lexus Australia

Cheers

Cecil

Guys, the news page I posted does confirm that IS250s for the Australian market are affected:

'The announcement included Australia as one of the affected countries ...

'But for most of yesterday, Toyota Australia held out confirming its involvement in the recall until it had undertaken its own investigations, ''internal processes'' and had notified the federal government and dealers.

'But by yesterday afternoon, the recall swept through locally, too.

'Toyota Australia confirmed it was recalling ... 8201 Lexus models.

'They are the RX330 (6970 built between February 2003 and October 2005), IS250 (651 built from September 2005 to November 2005) and the GS300 (580 built from January 2005 to November 2005). All were built in Japan.'

Lexus Australia's Website still has no mention about this recall, although Toyota Australia does mention the recall of Klugers.

yeah iv done that before..

the demensions arent to worry

it's the weight.

but mate if u have the chance do it.

saves a bucket load of money

best way is

chassis brace +sway bar + intake and exhaust in 1 box

as you can fit em all in there on the biggest box

it's worth it if u pay abit more for over weight luggage as shipping on those parts will probably cost you around 2K lol

Not so worried about weight, I get 96kg (3 items, up to 32kg each) both ways. More worried about stuff getting damaged, brought in a F-Sport pipe +airbox last time and the pipe was bent even though it was in the middle of my luggage padded by clothes. Will have to see how I can manage to pack it all with what I can scrounge up around the hotel/nearby shops.

Guys, I received it this morning.

So guess no more discussions?

As you may have already seen or heard in the media, Lexus Australia is recalling a number of Lexus RX 330 and IS 250 vehicles, to rectify a potential slow hydraulic fluid leak in the brake system.

This is just a courtesy to advise that you will receive an official recall letter in the mail soon outlining details of the recall, and we ask you to follow the instructions contained in that letter. Feel free to contact us on 1800 023 009 if you have any questions.

If you no longer own your vehicle, please call the Lexus Customer Assistance Centre on 1800 023 009.

• 2 months later...

Another recall was announced today. "The U.S. models targeted are Lexus GS 300/250 sedans and Lexus IS 250/350 [sedans] produced from 2006 through 2007 and 2006 through 2009, respectively.". Likely to also affect those sold in Australia, I'd say.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110126-703455.html