I note the 2009 models now go into sports mode without the need to move the gear shift into the Sports position.

In other words, with the gear lever in Drive, downshift with the left paddle and you are in Sports mode. Moving the right paddle higher than 6th gear, cancels Sports mode.

A truely welcome and sensible change from earlier models.

Does ANYONE know how to change the firmware chip(s) to accommodate this change?

On a similar topic, does anyone know of firms that undertake firmware changes or have knowledge of the firmware for the IS250 style Lexus?

I note the 2009 models now go into sports mode without the need to move the gear shift into the Sports position.

In other words, with the gear lever in Drive, downshift with the left paddle and you are in Sports mode. Moving the right paddle higher than 6th gear, cancels Sports mode.

A truely welcome and sensible change from earlier models.

Does ANYONE know how to change the firmware chip(s) to accommodate this change?

On a similar topice, does anyone know of firms that undertake firmware changes or have knowledge of the firmware for the IS250 style Lexus?

I noticed the same damn thing!! Why weren't they smart enough to do it like that in the first place?

Think it is more than just firmware....probably differences in the switch gear in the trans

I suppose that's possible but I think it's unlikely. Its just the software change that would be a cheap (and attractive to Toyota) update in models from time to time. The sensors in the switch gear would (seem to me) to be more than adequate for this purely software modification.

The makers of speed chips are probably the people that would know where to look for the code within the firmware.

I also noted the stupid NAV warning screen now self destructs by itself - don't have to press "I accept." Another victory over the "do gooders"

Think it is more than just firmware....probably differences in the switch gear in the trans

I also noted the stupid NAV warning screen now self destructs by itself - don't have to press "I accept." Another victory over the "do gooders"

A victory over the lawyers more than the "do gooders".