• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dis-lex-sic keen to know what you thought of the interior changes. The silver trim bits seem a bit Honda Accord Euro from the photos - how does the treatment come together in the flesh?

Have read on my.IS that the F-Sport buckets have microfibre inserts with the leather and one US 2011 F Sport owner said this was in fact the most disappointing aspect of the car. Were you able to tell if it is in fact Alacantara - first seen on the 1st gen sports models? Having had this trim I think it could work but 'microfibre' sounds a bit low rent for a car costing 80K. Full leather would be the go I would think but maybe Lexus is trying to differentiate from the IS F?

I did see a comparison of the gs vs a 540i on the web. I never knew the gs's were that fast! I like the performance but the styling doesn't appeal to me.

Frigging why weren't these out 3 years ago. I paid the same price for my 250. I'm a bit peeved about the pricing actually! Only because I can't buy one. It's a bargain and I envy you new 350 owners :)

Resale value is going to suffer for the 250.

Re. discount - you'll struggle til mid next year I think. I think Lexus will not be prepared for the demand, especially with the good finance Lexus can offer as well (through Japan and much lower rates than here!) and therefore you'll see a long waiting list (for Lexus that is!). Might be able to get a few grand off next year.

Thanks for the post Sapphire Cam. Yeah I don't expect much of a discount, but perhaps things are different, because I know they are doing deals and are experiencing a dip in sales of the IS, and the 350 isn't an entirely new model, just a different engined version.

The Audi is going well, got the 2.0 multitronic... a very comfortable, solid car, but obviously has no performance at all. I also hate that transmission and hesitates madly on take off. I hope the lexus' auto is better. I also like how lexus cars come with everything you'd want as standard.

Also, what's the go with Lexus finance? Good interest rates? I think I should look into a novated lease as I got FBT exemption (of around $10,000) due to where I work. Having never done it before, I'm not sure how well they work out.

HA HA!! The hesitation in the Audi on take off was a real turn off for me during my test drive (of which I was given an A4 for the weekend). The transmission in the Audi is a bit overrated - I didnt think too bad. The IS250 transmission is good - instant response, but the accelerator is that 'soft style' ie. its not touchy. So on first impressions it might seem sluggish, but its how the accelerator is wired. If there is one gripe I have with the IS250 transmission is that it finds the higher gear a little too early, so as a result I drive it using the paddles to hold it in gear longer. With the 350 that wont be an issue.

Audi would also do better if they cut down their ridiculous options list (an A4 variant in 2005 actually came with a remote boot release button as an option!!!)

As for finance, because Lexus get their money via Japan (where Federal rates are super low), Lexus can offer very good rates. I think right now some dealerships are offering 3.9%. Unlike some other car finance companies, Lexus only charge a one-off estab fee and that's it - extra repayments can be made anytime, and you're not penalised by paying out your loan early. I part-financed (about 1/3rd) by vehicle through Lexus and found it to be seamless, painless and non-competitive (that is, no one came close to the rate Lexus offered me!). Be wary of the novated leasing situation - do your sums wisely. The companies that offer the services, typically make it 'look better' to you initially, but after you crunch the numbers its not worth it - esp. the 'residual' left on the car after the leasing period expires. If you do more than 25,000kms a year - you're fine, anything less and you need to crunch the numbers carefully (FBT exemption or not!), especially as this current Government has a habit of retrospectively applying taxation changes to financial decisions already made by the individual (I lost thousands this year through an employee share scheme, which I opted into back in 06, only for Wayne Swan to apply a tax rule change in 2009/10, eseentially wiping out any benefit I had and giving me a tax bill this year...but I digress)

There's quite a lot of discussion in here regarding financing/novated leases and the only question I want to pose is this.

Have you considered a Company Hire Purchase?

If you have the ability to claim a chunk of the vehicles use as 'work use' the benefits associated with this form of finance are pretty impressive. The only point that requires some work on your behalf is keeping a 3 month log book (only technically need to do this once during your entire ownership) which justifies your % of 'work use'.

Cheers,

Dan

i got my rx350 on the 5,25 % finance

but i was kicking myself 3 months later

when lexus brought out the 0% finance i was like fffarrrrrkkkk lol

anyhow no IS350 for me for the next 2 years atleast

2 years later i will sell the car

cars just not worth selling at this point

Be wary of the novated leasing situation - do your sums wisely. The companies that offer the services, typically make it 'look better' to you initially, but after you crunch the numbers its not worth it - esp. the 'residual' left on the car after the leasing period expires. If you do more than 25,000kms a year - you're fine, anything less and you need to crunch the numbers carefully (FBT exemption or not!), especially as this current Government has a habit of retrospectively applying taxation changes to financial decisions already made by the individual (I lost thousands this year through an employee share scheme, which I opted into back in 06, only for Wayne Swan to apply a tax rule change in 2009/10, eseentially wiping out any benefit I had and giving me a tax bill this year...but I digress)

Yeah, you really have to makes sure you do the kays, or it can bite your ass hard. I keep track of my kays, each month I do a quick check if I'm on track, no biggie. If I see I'm running behind, I plan a short country trip or something.

I wouldn't worry about them changing anything adversely with FBT, not in the short term anyway. There has been a constant mention over the years of changing the way tax it based on the kilometers, as greenies do not like to give greater incentives to drive more (pollution), as that's what novated leases do. I'm guessing they may either flip it the other way around, or more likely just do a flat rate.

There's quite a lot of discussion in here regarding financing/novated leases and the only question I want to pose is this.

If you have the ability to claim a chunk of the vehicles use as 'work use' the benefits associated with this form of finance are pretty impressive. The only point that requires some work on your behalf is keeping a 3 month log book (only technically need to do this once during your entire ownership) which justifies your % of 'work use'.

Cheers,

Dan

Company hire purcahse as in, you running your own company as a business, and buying a car through it? That coudl work if you do use it for work mainly. Wouldn't apply to employees though, companies don't like to hold cars on their balance sheets.

Also, your tax claim would still need to be proportioned, based on business usage, so private portion would not be deductible. If you don't drive the car for work purposes at all, you would have no tax benefits as it would not be deductible. And just because you may use your car for the first three months, and have a log book to prove it, that log book is only valid up to the point your business usage significantly changes.

Lastly, if you do use your car for work purposes mainly, novated lease in your private company can still work. Instead of using the statutory formula method for working out FBT I mentioned previously, instead you can use the operating method, as it then takes into account business use percentage to reduce the taxable value anyway. So for example if you had a 100% business usage vehicle in your company as either novated lease or a hire purchase, the tax effect would be the same.

I am generalising a bit, so best to sit down and crunch the numbers to see what works best in your case. :)

Great shots, very exite :)

wow, very nice

still cant get over how good those F Sport rims are, OMG

hahaha

Gotta disagree a bit there; they look too much like the 250 sport rims... not that that's a bad thing, just not original.

Just found out from my sister inlaw the prices form employee vehicle program. I can get a IS350SL for $76000 d/a, prestige $63000 d/a, f sport $68000 d/a. The only problem is to sell my IS250SLand which one to choose?????

Just found out from my sister inlaw the prices form employee vehicle program. I can get a IS350SL for $76000 d/a, prestige $63000 d/a, f sport $68000 d/a. The only problem is to sell my IS250SLand which one to choose?????

what? u mean if u're a toyota/lexus emplyee?

those prices sound right actally, i think those are pretty much a little above their actual cost price for lexus, it only issue would be getting allocated the actual cars, considering they dont have many coming in !

i was able to get a very good deal on my is250 when i purchased it a year or so ago on which i was able to obtain a very good D/A price on, quite similar to the amount of benefit offered by the employee pricing, just need to bargain hard =P

That reminds me - back to novated leases ...

The purchase price you can obtain through a novated lease is important. If your salary packaging provider won't let you find your own dealer in order to get the best price, you may end up paying closer to list price and negate the financial benefit of a novated lease.

Having said that, the original question on novated leases was posted in the light of the recent IS350 launch, and we've already established that the discount on a private purchase of a 350 right now would be little, if any - so the above point only is only important to those who are looking to buy something else right now, or an IS350 later.

Yeah, some companies impose too many restrictions, for no logical reason. I started working at a new place not too long ago now, and I got all of these stupid restrictions removed, now we can buy what we like, where we like, and use whoever we like for the lease. Saves you a fortune.

You'll find you will be better off just going to a bank, asking them do do a non-maintained novated lease, you take care of the running costs and sort out your employee contribution side for FBT etc (which will be the same result as a fully maintained lease). I've found those car fleet places are a rip off. The one we had at our workplace, while it was claiming to charge 9-odd % interest on the lease, when you factor all the administration fees and stuff, the effective interest rate was actually 17%, which is outrageous. Got a novated lease through a major bank at 9.7% interest, and my lease payment is lower by 200 bucks a month than if I went though the fleet company.

Cheers,

Dan

Company hire purcahse as in, you running your own company as a business, and buying a car through it? That coudl work if you do use it for work mainly. Wouldn't apply to employees though, companies don't like to hold cars on their balance sheets.

Also, your tax claim would still need to be proportioned, based on business usage, so private portion would not be deductible. If you don't drive the car for work purposes at all, you would have no tax benefits as it would not be deductible. And just because you may use your car for the first three months, and have a log book to prove it, that log book is only valid up to the point your business usage significantly changes.

Lastly, if you do use your car for work purposes mainly, novated lease in your private company can still work. Instead of using the statutory formula method for working out FBT I mentioned previously, instead you can use the operating method, as it then takes into account business use percentage to reduce the taxable value anyway. So for example if you had a 100% business usage vehicle in your company as either novated lease or a hire purchase, the tax effect would be the same.

I am generalising a bit, so best to sit down and crunch the numbers to see what works best in your case. :)

Sorry for the delay here, didn't see a note come through of your reply.

I don't have my own business, the real stipulation here is that you can use the vehicle for work usage.

If that's the case, and as stated it's possible to claim a majority (over 60%) then this form of purchase should work out to be pretty effective.

This isn't my day job, but if anyone is serious I'd be happy to pass on my advisors details as he was superb with my new addition

Well, if you really do use it mainly for work, then no problem, there's various methods you can claim it for tax. For people who do not use their cars for work much at all, novated leases are the only way.

Here's a small review of the IS350:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/89529/lexus-is-350-review/

Looks pretty good, can't wait to drive one!!

I was just looking through redbook to see how, historically, resale would compare for the IS250 v IS350 using a 2003 IS200 and IS300.

surprisingly, although there was $10k difference in the new price, the difference today is $2k. interesting.

That leads me to believe that the resale value of the IS250 will not be adversely affected by the introduction of the IS350. if anything, the IS350 will do worse in both $ and %age terms.