Pcs & Cruise Systems Check Warning

Hey guys

I did a quick search first and found nothing...

I have a 250SL anyway I was driving tonight, I did about 500kms today up and down the coast (Brisbane to sunny coast and back).

Used cruise for most of it, no problems.

Get back into metro Brisbane and am just driving along a road near home with cruise at ready but not in use.

Then all of a sudden the dash lights up with warnings "Check PCS System" and the yellow PCS light came on in the bottom left corner of the dash.

Then is said "Check Cruise system" and the green cruise light flashed on and off, on and off. All the time with the red triangle alerting me of an issue.

I turned cruise off, the light for cruise stopped flashing. Then just the PSC error staying on the screen.

I pulled up at a set of lights and turned the car off and then started it again only to have the error come straight back up on the screen.

Ideas?

Im scared to take it to Lexus as im fearful of the reaming to my wallet that may occur.

Car only has 26k on the clock so its like new but its out of warranty now (more than 4 years old).

Whats your thoughts?

Was very random for it to spit up his error tonight and first time its ever done it.

Your help will be appreciated. Thanks Col

To me (unfortunately) it is sounding as a legitimate issue with the systems in question. Could an old fashioned disconnection of the battery help?! (to possibly reset the diagnostic - maybe it keeps warnings in memory)

I dont have the SL, but is there a sonar/radar sensor on the front grill that perhaps you could clean / do a visual check on?!

so i cleaned it all up again

the cruise issue has gone away, however i have not test driven it to fully check

the pcs system check is still coming up

the owners manual says "refer to lexus" as the solution

im starting to regret buying a car with all these features, $$$$ to repair when they stuff up

nope out of warranty now

have taken it down to lexus just got home from there, nothing i can do...

google'd it and found the problem, its not a DIY job... reasonably common in the US is seems on all SL models...

the radar unit needs to be re-calibrated and if that's not successful then it needs to be replaced...

estimates on the net are around $1300 plus for the new unit if the re-calibration does not work... :(

on the up side, i got the full history of my car from the service centre... :D

yeah i did take it down, they have it now...

fingers crossed its just a simple re-calibration as they said they would take care of it (ie. free)...

its a known problem with SL models with PCS and Radar Cruise... So Warranty or no warranty they said it should be ok...

karma, be good to me now...

I got lucky, all fixed and not a penny spent...

They also replaced the power steering rack, as it was factory recalled a few years ago and the previous owner didnt bother doing it...

So i got a new rack and they fixed the radar issue...

Happy days

I got lucky, all fixed and not a penny spent...

They also replaced the power steering rack, as it was factory recalled a few years ago and the previous owner didnt bother doing it...

So i got a new rack and they fixed the radar issue...

Happy days

very nice

only lexus will provide those kind of service level

it's all about owning a lexus

you just dont get the same service quality anywhere.

So Col,

Now u luv your car again?

The SL was a cutting edge car when it came out a few years ago, many are still catching up. I luv the radar for hitching a free ride to the car in front.

It's about the combination of your car and your Lexus Dealer to make for the total experience, sounds like you have a good dealer.

So Col,

Now u luv your car again?

The SL was a cutting edge car when it came out a few years ago, many are still catching up. I luv the radar for hitching a free ride to the car in front.

It's about the combination of your car and your Lexus Dealer to make for the total experience, sounds like you have a good dealer.

its a great car no doubt... im happy again, but a little disappointed at the same time... next time its gonna cost big bucks if it happens again...

also bad luck comes in three's and on Friday I got my first ticket in over 9 years :(

so now im wondering what the third thing is going to be?

Fire maybe?

• 3 weeks later...

It broke again :(

Its getting a replacement computer at the same time as its 30k service... (2 weeks time)

Hoping Lexus can bail me out and cover it under warranty, fingers crossed...

Will let you know...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I bought a SL is250 from Sydney with 47,000km. When driving it back to Adelaide PCS warning came on, about a week later after trying snap on scanners etc I rang Lexus and booked it in. They could not calibrate the radar and suspected a faulty pcs computer. The computer had to be ordered in and when it came in Lexus covered the cost of the computer and All I had to pay was for fitting of the computer and radar alignment. Fantastic back up from Lexus Of Adelaide as this car was also our of new car warranty.