Sat Nav Update Confusion

My recently acquired 2007 rx 350 is running Version 14 of the Navigation Data dvd. I understand that Version 16 is available now direct from Sensis for $325 and that it is as easy to install as putting the DVD into the dashboard player and switching to Navigation and upload the data. What I'm confused about is the difference between this type of installation and a "software update". From reading past threads on this site and the USA Lexus forums, there is a much more complicated process to DIY a software install or have your Lexus service centre do it for you. Am I correct that there are two processes involved here? and that buying the DVD from Sensis only updates the DATA and not the SOFTWARE? (PS: I have an email from Sensis saying that Version 17 will be out in Feb 2011).

My understanding (and I may be wrong in this) is that the operating system for the sat nav is in firmware. However I have read that updating the map disk will also update some of the interface (ie the appearance of the maps) as well as the content.

The navigation DVD resides in a drive under the floor of the boot, behind a plastic cover next to the tool box. It's just a matter of ejecting the old disk, slot in the new one, then turn on the ignition and wait for it to load up. Don't put the navigation DVD in the player in the dash - it won't work.

Richarda

did you mean that Lexus would install the DVD free (if you paid for the DVD itself), or is the whole update free?

My local Lexus service place quoted $350 for the map update. I didn't ask whether that included installation (which seems rather easy anyway)

regards

Satish

Richarda

did you mean that Lexus would install the DVD free (if you paid for the DVD itself), or is the whole update free?

My local Lexus service place quoted $350 for the map update. I didn't ask whether that included installation (which seems rather easy anyway)

regards

Satish

Sensis sell the disk for $295 plus postage. No doubt Lexus get a big discount off that, so at $350, your dealer is charging you well over fifty bucks to open the boot, raise the toolbox floor, eject the existing disk and insert the new one.

Poisson is correct; they told me I could buy Version 17 direct from Sensis and to just "pop in" and they will lift the boot lid and put in my new disc, wait for 3-4 minutes and its done. All for free. But if I book an update service and they get the new disc it will be $395.

In the six weeks I've had my rx350 I've dropped into the Chatswood Lexus Service Centre three times now and have found them totally obliging, friendly and informative. I got my cup-holders taken out (to create a larger and more usable console space); I had my cross-bars removed (to make it easier to clean and give it in my view a cleaner style line); and I had my key re-programmed so I only have to click once and all doors and boot become unlocked (I kept leaving my passengers locked out because I kept forgetting to double click). I also asked them to increase the auto-headlight sensitivity to maximum. No mention of any charge, and didnt even seem to confirm that I would be a regular customer in future (which I will). Fabulous customer lounge, great setup....I look forward to being a regular there for many years.

While the rx350 was in great body shape for a 2007 model, after reading other threads on this website I took the plunge and did a full clay block, polish and buff. The clay blocking took about 6 hours over several days and I've since given it a second coat of polish and orbital buff. The result is incredible; blinding depth of shine; several people have assumed its a brand new car. The cleaning gear cost about $60 and the orbital buffer cost $120. I'll give it an unnecessary 2-3 more coats over the next few weeks, just to build up the layers of protection. A bonus is that its so fast to wash down. Perhaps this cleaning report needs to be copied to the cleaning forum.