In a few words... way too loud!

I've replaced the rear mufflers with Magnaflows leaving the resonator in place. Even this setup gives mild drone and is intrusive under certain conditions.

The 250 is not a high performance car so having a thumping exhaust makes no sense to me - thought I was being conservative with just the Magnaflows.

If I had my time over it'd be just the F Sport intake combined with 3.5" tips only.

ahhh

ok

so it drones with a muffler delete...

i thought it would be really loud

i will still try it though as its only 130$ and i would like to experiment

but is it possible to put the mufflers back after you've taken them off?

thanks!

Drone's the annoying resonance you get at a specific rpm - with my set up between 2500 and 3000. Outside of this it sounds good (esp. WOT) but the engine often settles in this rev range when driving around town hence the issue most end up having with their exhaust mods. Depending on what setup you've got, it is something you can ultimately learn to live with/ignore.

Deleting all the resonators won't create drone but I'm tipping it'll be so loud you won't be able to distinguish much from your exhaust note. Might sound like a cross between a sick V8 and a truck but I guess you can weld the bits back in place if it is too loud.

Never know tho. Let us know how you go.

hahahaha, yeh, illegal aswell

friend has a VE SV6 with no mufflers, its so bloody loud, lol

does the resonator delete make a big difference?

can u hear it from lower revs?

i just want a bit of a louder exhaust note

while i was at the shop, i was gonan get em to push my tips back a little more so they dont stick out so much

i'll post back after i get it done

yeh, sack this idea now

springs are my next mod now, not an exhaust, lol

anyone know where i can get a set of tein s techs or lower drop springs from??

either springs or i wanna install two 10" subs in the boot but with the stock headunit

thanks a bunch!

hey, elmarko

just a question, u have magnaflow mufflers on right??

is it intrusive under just normal driving?

no hard accels, just driving around

plus i have music 100% of the time

really interested in the sound, of the magnaflow mufflers

a vid would be great, thanks!

Can be a bit much under normal driving esp. between 2500-3000 rpm and under load (eg. uphill in 4th) - gets quite loud and boomy

I think the drone has settled down since installation - might be my ears playing ticks on me but I do tend to drive with the paddles now to get the most out of the engine and avoid annoying drone

I gather exhaust 'noise' is entirely subjective - one man's music is another man's racket.

The Magnaflow mod is relatively cheap ($650 incl tips) but you might be better off trying just the mid resonator delete first to see how it sounds

This really doesn't suit the car. It's not a fast car, so why do it? I always laugh at people who do that to their Hondas and Hyundais, doing that to a Lexus should be outlawed! What are you trying to achieve with this? Are you trying to give people the false perception that it is a fast car? I rememeber back when I had my modded twin turbo soarer many years ago, I loved showing these people otherwise. All show no go = rice! Problem is, all that extra noise actually makes it sound like sh|t. In my opinion anyway. Please don't do it. Do some tasteful mods, (some mild performance mods, brakes, suspension, full length exhaust with a better note etc; not many options for the engine though I know), rather than making it look like it's driven by another clueless riceboy clown. No offense :)

yeh, im not doing it, just got LED reverse lights today, lol

it made the decision after i heard my friend floor it past me in the car, sounded mean with just the intake

gonna do fog lights next and 6000k HID bulbs

after that, im gonna try to look for some rear lip spoilers and maybe a bodykit

then after i get off my P's, IS300 turbo, lol hopefully

IS300 turbo sounds great! I had plans for my old IS300 to turbo it. I didn't get around to it though (I previously sank a bit of $$$ into the soarer and the missus wasn't happy). You'll probably be better off sourcing a Supra/Aristo halfcut as the 2JZ-GTE out of those has better compression etc. (among other things) so you can run more boost, than the 2JZ-GE out of IS300. That's if you want a lot of power. Might as well use the gearbox as well, not sure how much power the stock IS300 box can handle...

Mentioning exhaust jobs you've seen on Hondas/Hyundais is a bit bit pathetic on this forum Dan. Sure you entitled to your opinion but stainless double walled tips on fairly stock looking Magnaflow cans is pretty remote from what you're banging on about - still looks very stock

There can't be anything wrong with chasing a bit of extra sound from your stock setup - however you think is the best way to achieve this and regardless of whether it delivers performance gains

Personally, I can't work out why so many spend so much on their 250s (suspension, wheels etc etc) only to leave the stock tips in place - easily the cheapest/crappiest looking part of the car IMO

I'm not referring to the way it looks, more to the way it sounds. All I'm saying is, no point having a very loud exhaust on your IS250, let alone one that drones. Sure, a more pleasant exhaust note is welcome, just as long as it's not on the same level as a riced up Lancer with a fart cannon and altezzas. ;)

P.S. And I think the crappiest looking part on the 250s are the series 1 Prestige rims haha

i just drove my friends VE SV6 with muffler delete, OMFG it is so god damn loud

its cool for the first 10mins, for the rest of the night i was just like FML, LOL

ahhh, aighty, thanks man

im still deciding if i should get a SV6 for my bday from my dad, or wait till i get off my P's and get either

A) IS300 Turbo with and i wont stop till i get 300+rwKW

B) Holden VE Commodore SS and smack a supercharger in it

This really doesn't suit the car. It's not a fast car, so why do it? I always laugh at people who do that to their Hondas and Hyundais, doing that to a Lexus should be outlawed! What are you trying to achieve with this? Are you trying to give people the false perception that it is a fast car? its not giving a false perception it giving the IS a nicer tune.

All show no go = rice! TBH so is a stock IS250 lol.

Problem is, all that extra noise actually makes it sound like sh|t. In my opinion anyway. Please don't do it. Do some tasteful mods, (some mild performance mods, brakes, suspension, full length exhaust with a better note etc; not many options for the engine though I know), rather than making it look like it's driven by another clueless riceboy clown. No offense :)

I'm not referring to the way it looks, more to the way it sounds. All I'm saying is, no point having a very loud exhaust on your IS250, let alone one that drones. Sure, a more pleasant exhaust note is welcome, just as long as it's not on the same level as a riced up Lancer with a fart cannon and altezzas. ;)

P.S. And I think the crappiest looking part on the 250s are the series 1 Prestige rims haha

lol @ prestige series 1.

DANSLEX i know where your coming from with the FART cannon. Its really not lexus.

Im now running takeda intake, invidia midpipes, and GReddy axle back so its nearly a full exhaust. its nice and quite and discreet unless you give it a boot full and it erupts into a slow sweet sounding v8.

I know the 250 has limited power but to be honest. its enough to be having fun with.

I actually stopped tooling around for a while and gave the fuel economy a chance to have a say and its actually running 2litre/100km better then the restricted stock setup. and on free way 3litre/100km better. so not only is it better sounding no drone and marginally more powerfull but also more economical.(as long as you dont roar it around) lol.

k2sty1. save your money and do it properly its much more rewarding. it already sounds nice with the intake. give it some sussy or tints. keep it tasteful and sty1ish as possible. its a lexus not a VE SV6 "commy"

anyways thts my 2c for this week lol.

hahaha, "fart cannon" LOL

yeh i would much prefer a axle back or cat back exhaust

and yeh, the IS250 is pretty much all show no go anyway

but in the p plate world its decent

well, there are faster p plate legal cars like the R32 golf, XR6, SV6, 330ci, even a RX8 is p plate legal

but dont see too many of them

a p plate driver that thinks his/her car is fast = FAIL

also, just got a fine, so wont be doing anything to the car anyway

This really doesn't suit the car. It's not a fast car, so why do it? I always laugh at people who do that to their Hondas and Hyundais, doing that to a Lexus should be outlawed! What are you trying to achieve with this? Are you trying to give people the false perception that it is a fast car? its not giving a false perception it giving the IS a nicer tune.

All show no go = rice! TBH so is a stock IS250 lol.

Problem is, all that extra noise actually makes it sound like sh|t. In my opinion anyway. Please don't do it. Do some tasteful mods, (some mild performance mods, brakes, suspension, full length exhaust with a better note etc; not many options for the engine though I know), rather than making it look like it's driven by another clueless riceboy clown. No offense :)

lol @ prestige series 1.

DANSLEX i know where your coming from with the FART cannon. Its really not lexus.

Im now running takeda intake, invidia midpipes, and GReddy axle back so its nearly a full exhaust. its nice and quite and discreet unless you give it a boot full and it erupts into a slow sweet sounding v8.

I know the 250 has limited power but to be honest. its enough to be having fun with.

I actually stopped tooling around for a while and gave the fuel economy a chance to have a say and its actually running 2litre/100km better then the restricted stock setup. and on free way 3litre/100km better. so not only is it better sounding no drone and marginally more powerfull but also more economical.(as long as you dont roar it around) lol.

k2sty1. save your money and do it properly its much more rewarding. it already sounds nice with the intake. give it some sussy or tints. keep it tasteful and sty1ish as possible. its a lexus not a VE SV6 "commy"

anyways thts my 2c for this week lol.

Proper quality exhaust setup will always sound decent, as opposed to a simple hack job of taking the muffler out and that's it. Proper upgraded exhaust note would have already had been designed from the start to sound good etc, whereas the design of stock exhaust's note would not have factored in someone just cutting out the muffler... most cars I've seen people do that to have sounded *BLEEP*. Do it once, do it properly haha. Hence my reference to tasteful mods.

• 4 weeks later...

well, i unbolted the exhaust on saturday night and i gotta say, its LOUD, TOO LOUD, hahaha

and too much drone at lower revs

it sounds pretty good from the outside when you give it a hit

but decided a resonator delete would be better

also, i liked how the car was quite under 3500rpm

LEX51S, i might consider your exhaust if it's still available around march (hahaha, got a fine for $400~, dont ask, hahaha, so kinda broke ATM)