My IS250 runs out of factory warranty at the end of this month and I'm leaning towards taking up the Extended Warranty option that's available through Lexus dealers.

I've only owned it for a short time and purchased it with only 61,000kms and with a clean reliability record according to the first owner and Lexus records but as I plan to keep it for a few years, I'd like to mitigate the financial risk should something go wrong.

I'm seeking other owners experiences who have taken on extended warranties and possibly had cause to use it - your experiences both good and bad?

I called a couple of dealers on Friday afternoon and received a couple of varying quotes for the 3 year option - from $2240 to $2360; is this normal to vary even though they are apparently all underwritten by Lexus Insurance (AIOI)?

Any recommendations on how or where I can get the extended warranty cheaper?

thanks in advance

Got my extended warranty in April 2010 through my Lexus dealer for $2,200 (for memory - think it was $2k plus GST). Haven't had to "use" it yet. There is a post elsewhere on this issue if you want to search for it. There are two exclusions on the warranty - roadside assistance/encore privledges and interior trims.

Thats quite a narrow price gap. The difference probably just represents the dealers "fee".

I havent thought about this until now. What are the conditions age/km wise for the extended warranty?

My lease runs out shortly but I will be keeping the is250 in the family. I bought new and in the nearly 3 years i've had it, I havent had a single problem. I would have clocked up 75000 kms by the time 3 years comes around.

On the other hand, I like to service my own cars and if I buy an extended warranty ill be up for dealer servicing as well (I like to dealer service whilst under warranty so there are no excuses if there is a problem.)

Lexus Australia apparently no longer offer the Extended Factory Warranty directly but rather direct customers to their preferred dealer.

Although the Extended Factory Warranty doesn't include the Encore privileges like roadside assistance, I've found that they are willing to package 3 years of additional roadside assistance in negotiations.

All my quotes have been based on a 3 year/150,000km extension but 1 or 2 years for 100,000 kms is also available even though they are not very cost effective in comparison.

Of the 6 quotes I've obtained so far for the 3 years/150,000km extension, pricing has varied from $1,620 to $2,360!

I've also been offered 3 years of roadside assistance packaged with the 3 years/150,000 km extension for $1,854.

A few more dealers to hear back from, so I'll update further but I'm eager to hear of anyone's experiences.

Thanks for the info. It will interesting to see the best deal

you get. 3 years 150kms plus roadside isn't too bad. It's likely when the olds take the car they won't do more then 15k kms a year so that is only one service to pay for a year.

The Lexus roadside assistance appears to be a re-badged NRMA service, so you might save a few pennies purchasing that directly from them.

Well, that's what it looks like on the Encore card in my wallet.

I'm still waiting for a few callbacks and few oustanding emails with updated quotes.

The Lexus roadside assistance appears to be a re-badged NRMA service, so you might save a few pennies purchasing that directly from them.

Well, that's what it looks like on the Encore card in my wallet.

The roadside assistance offered to me isn't an extension of the existing factory warranty Encore roadside assistance but rather a new service and has been split between NRMA (4) and Mondial (2) as the service providers.

The offered bundled roadside assistance has varied from $234 to $376 whereas basic NRMA roadside assistance for me would be ~$340 for 3 years or with Mondial ~$280 for 3 years, so it's pretty competitive bundled with the extended warranty.

Ultimately the benefits offered under the terms and conditions of service versus cost will dictate which option I take.

• 2 weeks later...

For those that are interested in the final outcome, I decided to go with Dom at Sydney City Lexus who offered me an additional 3 years or up to 150,000kms (from 63,000 currently) of Lexus Premium Care Extended Warranty including 3 years of additional National Roadside Assistance through Mondial for $1985 inc GST - this was less than what some dealers wanted for just 12 months of an Extended warranty...

A couple of notable dealers who came close to Sydney City Lexus pricing were Lexus of Canberra and Lexus of Chatswood - PM me for contacts/details if you are interested.

I found it does pay to shop around and urge them to revise their pricing to something more competitive as some dealers dropped over $500 on the 3 year warranty alone.

Of the 8 dealers I contacted, I note that I am yet to hear back from a couple as I tired of chasing them...

Great stuff Manny. Peace of mind knowing that you'll be covered for another 3 years and a pile of kilometres is great to have, especially a factory backed one.

Good to hear of the decent price you managed to achieve also.

• 1 year later...

For those that are interested in the final outcome, I decided to go with Dom at Sydney City Lexus who offered me an additional 3 years or up to 150,000kms (from 63,000 currently) of Lexus Premium Care Extended Warranty including 3 years of additional National Roadside Assistance through Mondial for $1985 inc GST - this was less than what some dealers wanted for just 12 months of an Extended warranty...

A couple of notable dealers who came close to Sydney City Lexus pricing were Lexus of Canberra and Lexus of Chatswood - PM me for contacts/details if you are interested.

I found it does pay to shop around and urge them to revise their pricing to something more competitive as some dealers dropped over $500 on the 3 year warranty alone.

Of the 8 dealers I contacted, I note that I am yet to hear back from a couple as I tired of chasing them...

Hi, can you give the contact details of the dealer you went with? Thanks in advance :)

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread.

So my factory warranty ends in a bit over 2 weeks time. Who do I contact for extended warranty? Does anyone have any particularly person/contact that they would recommend? Email address would be appreciated. I'm in the Sydney metro area.

Thanks in advance.

So my factory warranty ends in a bit over 2 weeks time. Who do I contact for extended warranty? Does anyone have any particularly person/contact that they would recommend? Email address would be appreciated. I'm in the Sydney metro area.

AFAIK, there's no point shopping around for the lowest price, as it's going to be the same price everywhere. So just contact your local Lexus dealer and ask for the Factory Approved Extended Warranty

Insurance.