Hello, Shaun (st87)!

thanks for the document. It's good but I have actually done the installation last night. The excitement was killing me. Now, all cars in the garage are on HID. The other car came with HID from the factory :)

1) the two nuts which I found hard to remove were actually quite easily removed when I did it.

The plastic pieces were like caps :) A little patience in looking at the parts and I got it done :)

2) what I meant by adjustments was the question on whether our headlamps' heights needed to be readjusted to stop any potential glare on the road. Since the swap over from halogen to HID was just a bulb change, I figured we did not have to and confirmed it at the end. This is because:

a) at the start of the installation,

• I got a hard card board and shined the lights onto it
  • I then marked the levels (with painter's tape and a marker pen) and where each headlight's centre was on the board
  • backed the car up about 8 feet away and remarked on the board with different marker pen colour and painter's tape

B) at the end of the installation,

• I checked the levels (close range and 8 feet away) and no changes were observed :)

3) I did notice that the driver's side low beam has some sort of 'U' shape being projected out.

This is weird. Any comment? I have emailed the ebay seller asking what's the story.

xenon_question.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2) what I meant by adjustments was the question on whether our headlamps' heights needed to be readjusted to stop any potential glare on the road. Since the swap over from halogen to HID was just a bulb change, I figured we did not have to and confirmed it at the end.

Good to know that we Lexus drivers are so considerate towards to public =P

3) I did notice that the driver's side low beam has some sort of 'U' shape being projected out.

This is weird. Any comment? I have emailed the ebay seller asking what's the story.

xenon_question.jpg

Hmmm... And you are positive that your H11 sized globe fit smoothly without being crooked? Sounds like the focal length of your RHS compared to your LHS is inconsistent and a harsher image was projected out whereas the other one, the 'U' shape was out of focus so you couldn't really see it.

Anyway can you repost your planning, esp that video part? Can't wait to see it =D

hello St87,

yes, I have reposted the video link.

For some reason, youtube's not happy with the background japanese music I was using...

Levelling the headlights to stop glare

-I believe we all share the same roads and the car is for our enjoyment without the expense of others :)

About the 'U' shape

Oh, my...

I hope the bulbs were not crooked because I have been very careful inserting them (hence it took such a long time).

After each unsuccessful attempt, I slowly take it out and check the condition visually.

Anyway, I will await to hear from my ebay seller.

The important thing is that the HID kit is in and I don't want to touch it LOL

cheers, Shaun :)

I hope the bulbs were not crooked because I have been very careful inserting them (hence it took such a long time).

After each unsuccessful attempt, I slowly take it out and check the condition visually.

Stuff from ebay are rarely perfect =) I'm sure you still got your money's worth (i hope?)

To be honest, my $35 eBay HIDs are inconsistent in color temperature (i.e drivers side looks slightly blu-er), but then again, maybe it's just the angle I'm looking at (colour is not uniform across the projected beam).

Well I paid $135 for it :(

then again, a lot of stores that sell on their own websites also sell on ebay these days...

Perfect ones are stock from lexus but that means having to open up the headlight seals to access the ballast :(

• 6 months later...

Today i purchased a HID kit from the local autoparts store. I was able to install the lights with little difficult going thru the tutorial on this forum and also the youtube clip from the Asian dude.. The HID looks great. However, the fog lights and the parking lights now look very yellow compared to the HID. Does anyone know If we can replace the fog lights and parking lights with a bulb less yellow? If so which bulb model and where to buy? Thanks :-)

Hi guys

Had a look at xenonsupply.com and saw the following 2 products. Would anyone be able to tell me the difference?

http://www.xenonsupply.com/lexus-is-hid-xenon-kit.html

http://www.xenonsupply.com/lexus-is-hid-xenon-package.html

One is $89.99 and the other is $129.99. The more expensive one has the "premium" Ballast. Do you guys think it's worth it or the $89.99 will be fine.

If anyone has recently bought a kit from ebay, can you please recommend the ebay seller?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

J

I've bought a unit from xenonsupply which would be the $89 one a few years back. They are good and the bulbs that comes with it still good.

I can't see why you would need the $129 unit.