Age Old Question Of Which Tyres To Buy !

Need new tyres for my 2007 IS250 SL - currently have OEM 225/45/R17 front and 245/45/R17 rear tyres (Dunlop Sports Maxx).

I'm looking for replacements which are quieter, more comfortable and provide just as good handling in wet or dry conditions, in that order.

I want to retain the 17" wheels but am open to the idea of slightly different tyre sizes to achieve the above.

Have gone through earlier threads but haven't got a clear picture of which tyres in these sizes have been tried and found to be good.

General research through tirerack.com etc has thrown up Hankook Ventus V12 evo as a good option.

Would be interested in the views of more experienced forum members, especially on the following:

1. Is it better to stick with 225/45/R17 in front or would it be better to switch to 235/45/R17?

2. Which tyres to go for - brand and model?

Thanks

Subby

I'm going to be replacing tyres soon also

Have done some research

Everyone says you can use 235/45 on the fronts no problems.

One guy even said the dealers said its fine to do it also.

So don't listen to people who say Lexus spent millions of dollars researching it and you should always use 225

So when I get mine I'll be going 235 front & 245 or 255 rears

I was thinking about Kumho KU39

Or Kumho KU31

I went from Dunlop Sports Maxx to Sumitomo. I found that Sumitomo was a lot cheaper but had no RIM protection and since I damaged my RIM as it sticks out. I suggest you make sure you get tyres that have RIM protection. I also found the OEM Dunlop's were really good. Managed to get 45K out of the front and about 50K from the rear in terms of usage. Mainly city driving.

I'm going to be replacing tyres soon also

Have done some research

Everyone says you can use 235/45 on the fronts no problems.

One guy even said the dealers said its fine to do it also.

So don't listen to people who say Lexus spent millions of dollars researching it and you should always use 225

So when I get mine I'll be going 235 front & 245 or 255 rears

I was thinking about Kumho KU39

Or Kumho KU31

that is very true though

do advise that you stick with your factory settings on the tyres

as changing the profile and the width will result in your speedo being off

bigger front tyres usually provide more grip in the front but should be matched with bigger rear tyres also or there is a chance that it might change the handling of the car

Since I'm happy with the handling of my car with its current tyre sizes, I'll probably stick with 225s and 245s.

Results of further research:

Bob Jane T-mart - recommend Yokohama db V103 - quote over the phone was: 225s are $320 and 245s are $380 each, fitted and balanced.

- did not give much of a rap to the Hankook Ventus V12 evo - 225s are $255 and 245s are $310 each.

- suggested Kumho as an alternative - similar price to Hankook, but I didn't get any other details.

Lexus Brighton - recommend Yokohama or Michelin and avoid Pirelli - not sure about which models.

Tirerack.com - quoted Hankook Ventus V12 evo - 225s @ US $99 and 245s @ US $100 each - freight etc US $266 delivered to my place (Melbourne).

According to Tirerack's website, Yokohama Advan Sport looks very similar to the Yokohama db V103 in terms of tread pattern, so I'm assuming they're the same tyre - 225s are US $183 and 245s are US $188 - I presume freight costs would be much the same.

Any comments on the Yokohamas would be appreciated.

And point noted about rim protection - I've managed to get some curb rash despite the rim protection on the Dunlops!!

Since I'm happy with the handling of my car with its current tyre sizes, I'll probably stick with 225s and 245s.

Results of further research:

Bob Jane T-mart - recommend Yokohama db V103 - quote over the phone was: 225s are $320 and 245s are $380 each, fitted and balanced.

- did not give much of a rap to the Hankook Ventus V12 evo - 225s are $255 and 245s are $310 each.

- suggested Kumho as an alternative - similar price to Hankook, but I didn't get any other details.

Lexus Brighton - recommend Yokohama or Michelin and avoid Pirelli - not sure about which models.

Tirerack.com - quoted Hankook Ventus V12 evo - 225s @ US $99 and 245s @ US $100 each - freight etc US $266 delivered to my place (Melbourne).

According to Tirerack's website, Yokohama Advan Sport looks very similar to the Yokohama db V103 in terms of tread pattern, so I'm assuming they're the same tyre - 225s are US $183 and 245s are US $188 - I presume freight costs would be much the same.

Any comments on the Yokohamas would be appreciated.

And point noted about rim protection - I've managed to get some curb rash despite the rim protection on the Dunlops!!

Try other shops, BobJane are a rip off imo.. every time I go there for a quote they give me a price that is nowhere near the competition. for e.g a quote for falken 18's was around $305 front at Bob jane and at Jax was $195. Also the guy only gave me 2 options of tyres when I inquired, Jax gave me lots.

Yes, it was worth shopping around - for anyone interested in the Yoko Advan Sport V103, CarLink Auto were the cheapest by a mile - got their offer from eBay - $215 each for the 225s and $250 each for the 245s, delivered. They don't stock V550s, unfortunately :-( :-(

However, since I really wanted quieter tyres, I've ordered Yoko Db V550s and the cheapest I could find were the Tyre Professionals in Sunshine - $1180 for the set, balanced, fitted and all-wheel alignment done. Getting them fitted next week - shall keep you all posted.

Subby

• 2 weeks later...

Finally replaced the tyres yesterday - got Yoko Db V550s - and ended up paying $1150 all up - fitted, balanced and wheel alignment done.

First impressions - certainly smoother and much quieter than before (probably because they're new!) - braking is smoother than the Dunlops which used to grab. Cornering seems to be smoother as well and as sharp as the Dunlops - generally seems to be fine for my driving style.

Haven't had a chance to really try them out in the wet yet.

Let's see how they behave after a few Ks on the clock!!

• 1 year later...

Since it has been more than 18 months since I changed tyres and have done over 34,000kms on the Yokos, thought I'd post an update....

Had no issues with them whatsoever, plenty of tread left, they still run true and silent, grip has been extremely good in the dry and very good in the wet - not noticed any wheel spin on occasional fast acceleration at traffic lights.

Since it has been more than 18 months since I changed tyres and have done over 34,000kms on the Yokos, thought I'd post an update....

Had no issues with them whatsoever, plenty of tread left, they still run true and silent, grip has been extremely good in the dry and very good in the wet - not noticed any wheel spin on occasional fast acceleration at traffic lights.

Its good to hear.

Am about to change mine (front one). Michelin Pilot Super Sport is my other option. I just rang up a couple of the tyre shops, unfortunately, none of them hv it in stock. They only hv Pilot Sport at this point. Not sure if its that much difference between the Michelin Pilot Super Sport ($300) and Pilot Sport ($230).

Maybe some of the more experienced forum members could advise you, Samsung001....I'm new to Lexus ownership and Yokohamas are the only ones I've tried.

• 1 month later...

Update on tyres:

My Yokos db V550 have done 39,000km and just recently have started slipping a bit in the wet - they were superb until now. Plenty of tread still left (maybe 3+mm on the rears and 4+mm in front). Is this a reasonable life to expect from tyres or are other brands better in the wet for longer?

Have 225x45R17 in front and 245x45R17 rear.

I have Dunlop SportMaxx Sp on the car - very ordinary drive and VERY noisy.

Has anyone had experience with Michelin Pilot Preceda or Pilot Sport II's? Have the former on my MX-5 and they are superb wet & dry, road & track - and certainly not noisy...

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I think Ozzytyres are only in NSW - but their prices certainly seem very competitive.

My experience with Dunlop SportMaxx was also average - and Michelins are currently on top of my shortlist - although not sure which ones to go for as yet.

Also, have never mixed brands between front and rear tyres before.

Ozzy tyres are based in nsw but offer free nation wide shipping.

Mixing front and rear tyres Is no issue. In fact it's a simple way to neutralize the handling of the understeer biased IS.