Hi All,

I picked up my new (pre owned) sports luxury over the weekend. Love the car to death, I consider sleeping in it every night, although my wife thinks it is not a good idea.

I was hoping to get advice on cleaning products that you use with your car. Any tips are appreciated.

My car is Graphite, so it doesn't stay clean for too long.

Cheers.

Hi All,

I picked up my new (pre owned) sports luxury over the weekend. Love the car to death, I consider sleeping in it every night, although my wife thinks it is not a good idea.

I was hoping to get advice on cleaning products that you use with your car. Any tips are appreciated.

My car is Graphite, so it doesn't stay clean for too long.

Cheers.

Welcome on board,

I use meguirs for everything and have no complaints! :-)

Bucket of water, sponge, Protech Car Care cleaning fluid, microfiber cloth to dry. My car is black and I hate to say it but once per fortnight is a must for me :( at least. Previously I owned a sand/beige/bright gold coloured car and washing... once per 3-4 weeks :) but the look of a black Lexy is.... stunning.

Anyway - welcome to the forum and check out this thread about the decals/stickers and also this one about Melbourne meet if you're interested.

Welcome! I remember that feeling of a new IS, it's beautiful.

I use Meguiars Soft Wash Gel, can't go wrong, doesn't strip the wax like soapy washes will, lambs wool mit, always make sure water is clean (dirt in the sponge & water will cause swirling scratches), use 2 buckets for best results + microfiber chamois.

Never take it to a car wash where they use a machine, it will leave deep swirl marks that are hard to get out. Some hand washes are OK.

Happy driving & washing :)

Hi Tonage,

Welcome!!!

I will keep my reply short and sweet..............................,

+1 for Meguiars products!!!!

I have the same graphite colour as yours and it absolutely comes up a treat!

Meguiars have an awesome Forum if you need any type of "specialty" information. eg. How to take out swirl marks etc!!

Bluey, (our resident paint / finish expert) put me onto it for a problem I was having with the paint finish, great info!

I hope you don't mind the title Bluey!!

Meguiars Forum

OK Guys now you got me all interested in the Meguiar's stuff and excited about it and I would like to try it. What would you recommend? Where do I start? Any pointers?

Please let me know! Either here or on PM if possible.

Hi guys,

First post, but I saw this thread and thought i'd chime in and say hello. Future lexus owner, but have had a couple of cars which I used to take to show and shines before.

If you're after a decent product that's relatively inexpensive, definately go the meguires. Meguires Tech Wax 2.0 works great, I had a few complaints about the original Meguires Tech Wax 1.0 which didn't seem to harden all that well and most of the wax was gone by about week two of driving. But speaking to the australian rep about TW2.0 they've addressed this issue now with a new formula and they sent me a few test bottles.. I can definately say they have improved on it.

I'd say for a graphite car (or any dark car), go the Tech Wax 2.0, and grab a bottle of Quik Detailer for between-waxes. Gold Class soap also seems to still do a decent job for washing.

For white cars, check out Poorboys Natty Wax, highly recommended.

Show us pics when you're done detailing won't you? :)

As Project has already said, I love the Meguiars stuff. Quality at a nice price.

Howiefied is also correct, tech wax 2 as the final finish.

Don't forget to clay the car before waxing or any other paint correction prior to waxing.

Look after your dark car and you will be amazed at the constant depth of shine and how good it feels to get into a clean car.

Mine gets washed most weekends which makes it very easy to clean each time.

Enjoy :P

I actually went to Meguiars head office in Silverwater (Sydney) and got detailed steps on how to look after the paint work.

There's also a hotline which you can call them on which the "technician" will be able to advise.

Here you go I even did a search for you: http://www.meguiars.com.au Toll Free Phone: 1800 347 570

After a while it does cost alot but the results do speak for themselves. There are probably other products out there but I trust these guys who know their stuff and have a reputation for it.

I'm a big fan of Autoglym stuff, it's pricey but I'm happy with its finish.

Big fan of Autoglym too.. as you say, pricey though.

You guys should also look at meguires #7 show car glaze before waxing.. looks awesome when you polish > glaze > wax on a dark car.

OK my turn for some feedback about Meguiar's product experience.

I contacted the local rep about their products and selection (for VIC - Ossie Palma @ 0419 590 699) - very good product support and knowledge. I was given absolutely every single instruction on how to wash (!) and apply different layers of different products with what cloths/micro-fibres etc.. Also - a list of products to buy, where to best buy them from, when, who to speak to to get the right price and everything. Ossie's help was just great. I've got a complete list of products to use from scratch to final finish if anyone needs it - I can e-mail it.

Anyway - I equipped myself with Ultimate Car Wash + NXT Gen Tech Wax 2.0 Liquid, some cleaning cloths, wheel cleaner and drying materials. Since it was my first full car wax manually - I spent a long time on the complete process but the result - blown away. The car looks like new. Please note - let nobody tell you that the liquid wax can be applied in less than 30 minutes because it can't, unless you're using a professional AC powered applicator and on a small/compact car. Together wish full car wash, wax, wheel cleaning and interior cleaning - it took me ±2.5 hours. I'm sure with more experience the waxing procedure will take less and less time. Anyway - I'm not going anywhere else, the Meguiar's products have got me completely and the car looks just stunning (black Lexy 250 is a treat to look at when sparkling / mirror clean).

You guys need to get on to OCW!

I start mine with a wash (a Meguiars product) with a microfibre wash mit. Make sure you use the two bucket method!

Then it gets a dry with a waffle weave drying towel

Then a clean with Zaino Z6 and finally a coat of

OCW - Optimal Car wax.

All up this takes me 45-60mins from start to finish including packing up. The z6 and OCW are the easiest products ever to use (just remember to use minimal product).

My car is nearly 2 years old now and it still looks brand new :)

Try it, you wont be disappointed!