hi guys

got rid of my rotten egg smell..

cost: $750 bucks! and four hours

went to an exhaust shop and custom made a 3inch mid pipe with a single hi-flow metal cat.

the result is no smell (so far) and a nice sportier note (no resonator), torque is up too.

here's some pics..

post-4426-022762300 1286701253_thumb.jpg

post-4426-051299000 1286701279_thumb.jpg

post-4426-037891100 1286701309_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Thread revival ...!

hi everyone,

not sure about you guys but my two front wheels are black every week..

is there any product out there that can "repel" break dust? or any other solution to this very annoying problem?

anyone found a break pad that's not so dusty?

There's always the option to replace your pads (see earlier posts), and you can also use wheel cleaners to leave a protective coating (e.g. Autoglym, mentioned earlier, or Meguiars NXT All Metal Polysh).

For those who'd like to get some more use out of their brake pads before replacing them ... Meguiar's will soon be releasing a product specifically for the job - Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier. This a spray-on product that won't stop dust from sitting on your wheels, but makes it significantly easier to hose it off.

Normally, I'd be taking orders for a group buy right now, but it's an aerosol spray; so it isn't something that I can have flown over from the US. We'll just have to wait until it's available in the local shops.

My IS250 always sufferd from the heavy front brake dust issue so I followed the US TSIB BR006-06 "Alternative Front Brake Pads" and replaced them with the low dust US OEM pads with part number 04465–53030.

No more excessive dust - not only do my front wheels look like my rear wheels even after a month without washing but the pedal feel is better imho.

TSIB L-BR002-06 Brake pads

lol I'm lucky i got wheels in a dirty colour. Brake dust doesn't seem to change the colour much.

As for the smell, it's not the resonator. I think we should all know by now a resonator is just a wave cropper. As they reflect and oscillate inside, waves get cropped.

Also, stock resonators tend not to have rubbishy stuff inside (e.g. glass fibre) to cause such a smell.

It's a chemical reaction that is based in their cats. The cats appear to reacting with the sulphur in the petrol. As we probably learnt from high school, hydrogen sulphide causes a bad egg like smell (similar to dormant volcanos), and this appears to be the chemical being created in the cat. I can't quite remember the chemicals exactly that are required to produce this, but if memory serves me correct, it requires high temperatures (e.g. in volcanos), this is totally possible considering that cats get (and require to get) hot. (This is to do with the cat only working with high temps, and why they tend to be double walled to rise catalytic light off etc etc).

My IS250 always sufferd from the heavy front brake dust issue so I followed the US TSIB BR006-06 "Alternative Front Brake Pads" and replaced them with the low dust US OEM pads with part number 04465–53030.

No more excessive dust - not only do my front wheels look like my rear wheels even after a month without washing but the pedal feel is better imho.

+1 for this. Manny & I imported the pads from the USA and I have loved every minute of them.

No more dust after a loooong time without a wash, and much better progressive feel.

+1 for this. Manny & I imported the pads from the USA and I have loved every minute of them.

No more dust after a loooong time without a wash, and much better progressive feel.

I was aware of this TSIB, but I thought these would be standard fitment on all later-model IS vehicles. (Seeing that my 2010 IS produces a lot of front brake dust, I thought this TSIB was improving an issue that was even worse in 2006!) I was obviously wrong: they aren't standard, at least in Australian models.

Does anyone know if these low-dust pads (with the above part number) are readily available in Lexus service centres in Australia? Sid? E910 (in NZ)?

(Yes, I know it can be cheaper buying these from overseas. I'm just ascertaining whether someone who, having had their car serviced at Lexus and receives a call about their worn brake pads, can request part 04465–53030 to be used.)