Demo And Press Fleet Vehicles - What Not To Buy

Monyx

Just curious since I've now watched about 100 IS F reviews, tests, exhaust drive-bys as I patiently wait for my IS F to be delivered LOL - what happens to the press cars? Cos no #$@*! way I'd ever want to own one after all the video-jocks flog the car and rev the bejesus out of at stand-still just so we sample the exahust note through an utterly useless 5c gopro mic! A very general question that applies to most models...just wondering if you buy manufacture's 'demo', could that include press-fleet?

Have to agree we dont know what happens to them.

However the demo cars are usually sold as new so should be backed by all the usual dealer warranty. If there are was to be any issues it would most likely show in the first few months then should be covered by warranty.

TBO with rev limiters, auto modes in gearboxes when the oils get hot that go into limp (or 'D' mode in IS F) you can sort of abuse them but not really break them I'd expect. Lexus to their credit genuinely built the IS F to be driven on the track at least part-time - it says so in the original press release!

I've spotted a few over the years from various manufacturers, no Fs though. Press cars (some at least) make it into the dealer network and get sold off as either used or demonstrators. Occasionally they don't change the rego plates on them so if you go through the various reviews you can sometimes pick them up that way, unsurprisingly it would appear that dealers aren't keen to disclose the history of these cars.

I was looking for a VW Polo GTi a few years back and found an ex press fleet car at a dealer. A friend of mine bought a limited edition XR8 many years ago only to find out later it was a press hack. He doesn't seem too concerned as he has had no problems and has owned it for over ten years.

I'm guessing due to their rarity there's press Fs out there somewhere.... :)

What would you read into a car described as "Lexus Australia Company Fleet vehicle", obtained by a dealer with with a few 000 kms on the clock 9mths after it was first registered? Could be a Lexus exec personal car or could be press vehicle. So far I haven't seen a blue MY12 in online reviews. I don't have Wheels/Motor circa late 2011 - early 2012 to see if any blue MY12 were featured in any tests/comparisons. Just hoping I haven't bought a bloody press-hack after-all :angry: