Formatting Of Phone Contacts

StephenM

In my phone all my numbers are prefixed with +61 (allows me to easily call them when overseas) and have been downloaded into my car's contact file.

The problem I'm having is that when I receive a call in the car whilst my phone is bluetooth-connected from someone who's number is stored in the car's contacts file in the above format it does not show on the car's display screen who the caller is. If I edit the phone contact and change it to the regular 04...... or 02...... etc the incoming call is correctly identified.

My phone carrier is Optus but I've been able to prove that it's not a carrier issue nor an issue with my phone. When not connected to my car, incoming calls from a contact stored on my phone are correctly identified regardless of the format used.

Has anyone else noticed this?

It should be easy to test out. Manually enter a contact into the car's contact file using the +61 format (use you're partner's number or home number) and have the contact call you while the phone is connected to the car and see if it displays the name of the stored user.

I dont think this is the lexus fault. I used to add +61 to my contacts as well, but found problems over the years with various handsets. The Telco engineer at work tells me that +61 is a landline standard and does not always work witb mobiles.

I dont think this is the lexus fault. I used to add +61 to my contacts as well, but found problems over the years with various handsets. The Telco engineer at work tells me that +61 is a landline standard and does not always work witb mobiles.

It's definitely not a problem with the handsets as I've been able to verify. In fact it's the recommended way of encoding phone numbers into a handset if you're wanting to be able to make calls when overseas and not have to worry about remembering what the local international access code is depending on what country you're in.

By the way, how can +61 be a landline standard when the basic telephone does not even have a "+" key on it.

The problem is within the software in the Lexus. When I get a chance I'm going to test out how things work in a friend's Mercedes and see if it has the same issue.