General Gs300 Questions

I've just picked up my ‘new’ 1999 GS300 and have some general questions that I hope seasoned GS owners can help me with.

Q1. The previous owner of my vehicle did a lot of urban driving, whereas I will mainly use it for long-distance cruising. Do I need to do anything (e.g. reset the ECU) in order for the vehicle to adapt to it’s new use?

Q2. How many RPM should I expect the vehicle to be doing at 100km/h? At the moment, the vehicle is doing about 2500rpm @ 100km/h (my previous vehicle was a 3L V6 and did about 2300rpm @ 100km/h). It's nice to know what's 'normal'...

Q3. Sometimes some of the LCD elements on the stereo’s display are very dim (sometimes to the point of being invisible), whereas at other times they are OK (especially when backlit). I don't know whether to have it looked at or whether it's something simple (like aconnection problem)...

Now that I've been spoilt by a GS300, I'm looking forward to updating to a GS430 when the time comes :D

I've just picked up my ‘new’ 1999 GS300 and have some general questions that I hope seasoned GS owners can help me with.

excellent :)

and your pics are where? :D

Q1. The previous owner of my vehicle did a lot of urban driving, whereas I will mainly use it for long-distance cruising. Do I need to do anything (e.g. reset the ECU) in order for the vehicle to adapt to it’s new use?

resetting the ECU will not completely "unlearn" the driving style.

to do this you need to disconnect your battery for around 15 minutes.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR RADIO CODES ETC IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO THIS

Q2. How many RPM should I expect the vehicle to be doing at 100km/h? At the moment, the vehicle is doing about 2500rpm @ 100km/h (my previous vehicle was a 3L V6 and did about 2300rpm @ 100km/h). It's nice to know what's 'normal'...

been a while since I drove a GS300 - but that does not seem unreasonable, certainly wouldn't worry about it.

Q3. Sometimes some of the LCD elements on the stereo’s display are very dim (sometimes to the point of being invisible), whereas at other times they are OK (especially when backlit). I don't know whether to have it looked at or whether it's something simple (like aconnection problem)...

have a look at lextech.org ;)

Now that I've been spoilt by a GS300, I'm looking forward to updating to a GS430 when the time comes  :D

hehehe - enjoy your new car mate, don't worry about getting a different one just yet! :D

Thanks for your advice Matthew :-)

I haven't got any pics yet, but she's pretty well stock (17"/roof/spoiler, Silver duco, Grey interior). She also has a big crack in the windscreen on the driver's side thanks to a stone kicked up by a Discovery on the Monash fwy less than 24 hours after I picked it up :angry:

...am enjoying my new love very much :D