Ls400... You Guessed It, Power Steering

hey guys, I didn't want to start a new thread, but I'm at the stage where I'm out of ideas, obviously the steering is tight as anything, here is what I have done in order

cleaned solenoid screen

cleaned reservior screen

bled

flushed with dex III, had a clear hose going into a bucket, it emptied the reservior in around 3 second when the car started

cleaned the solenoid again,

bled again

changed solenoid

changed P/S ECU

re bled going lock to lock at least 100 times

there were still a few bubbles in there, but I let it sit and went lock to lock 40 more times, and it seemed ok

my questions are, would a P/S leak allow the thing to suck air, and air bubbles still being my problem?

am I missing anything from doin all of the above?

cheers, and sorry for another P/S thread, but yeah, I am out of ideas!

cheers

mark

just to add to this, I have a suspicion that it may be the pump, I came accross another thread where he said he couldn't see the fluid circulating in the reserviour when the car was stared, got a new pump and it was all apples.

mine is exactly like that, can't see it circulating in the res at all when running.

may give a pump a go!

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys, forgot to update this, may want to sticky it or something hahah

so here goes

we were here

cleaned solenoid screen

cleaned reservior screen

bled

flushed with dex III, had a clear hose going into a bucket, it emptied the reservior in around 3 second when the car started

cleaned the solenoid again,

bled again

changed solenoid

changed P/S ECU

re bled going lock to lock at least 100 times

I then did,

rack change

pump change

re bleed x 1 million

new o ring on reserviour

new copper washer on hard line

re bleed

flush

NO CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then...

I ordered a brand new pump and hardline just incase. but they still haven't showed up...

so one day I went to see a mate to grab some interior parts, was discussing my frustration and was explaining that on teh spot it is near impossible to turn the wheels, but if you rev it to 2k+ it gets easier, so he jumped in, did it, yep, hard as anything, to really easy...

jumped in the car to drive home, and everywhere besides stopped and idle was nice and easy. hmmmmmm

so, i thought when I got home I would leave it on the ground to bleed it, and give it a bleed at 2k.

low and behold, there was mass air in the system, so I left the cap off overnight, and drove it. the steering got hard again after like 10k's, i was dissapointed to say the least, so I did another bleed at work real quick and left the cap off till home time.

that was 3 days ago, and every day it has been getting progressively better, it is probably one of the easiest steeriung cars I have ever driven. it would want to be though, as that is one of the hardest problems I have ever encounted on a car. I haven't even read anywhere about doing a bleed like that?

anyway, problem solved, so if anyone needs a new pump and a new hardline let me know, as I will have them soon and I won't need them haha

• 7 months later...