Another Towing Query

Hi there. I'm new to this forum. Considering a 1998 Harrier 3.0four at the moment _ now debating furiously whether it's suitable, and we go ahead with it. Key to the decision is towing capability. I see from a previous post that another user's harrier can tow a 5m boat no problem. I've got a 5.5m Reflex Contra boat plus Yamaha 140HP motor and all up have been told that the boat, trailer and motor weigh around the 1200 to 1400kg on their own. Now, add all the associated christmas holiday rubbish (three room tent, poles, bag, kids bikes) the weight might but nearing the 1600kg mark. The trailer is unbraked. My question is: will the Harrier handle this much weight during a five hour journey over three hill ranges, or will it struggle. I have no question that i'll pull the boat out of the water with four of us and water skis etc no problem, but will it get me to my holiday destination OK towing that much estimated weight? Thanks in advance for any help.

hi

firstly you may need to contact Toyota to see if the transmission needs a cooler.. these are not that expensive and worthy investment to keep your transmission box cool. Most automatics may require this for such heavy weight.

I dont think the harrier will have a problem pulling that weight at all. I have pulled over 1000kg with a much smaller car.

Best check the manual for towing (if it has it) or dealer will tell you towing capacity

hi

firstly you may need to contact Toyota to see if the transmission needs a cooler.. these are not that expensive and worthy investment to keep your transmission box cool. Most automatics may require this for such heavy weight.

I dont think the harrier will have a problem pulling that weight at all. I have pulled over 1000kg with a much smaller car.

Best check the manual for towing (if it has it) or dealer will tell you towing capacity

Hi. Thanks for the info. I contacted a toyota dealer in Chch, NZ, today and he reckoned that the towing capacity was around 1700kg, so looks like we'll be right. People have told us that it'll be heavy on petrol _ but it can't be any heavier than a 4-litre ford fairmont! I'm also going to get the dealer to put a 1500kg capacity towbar on. Thanks for the help again.

no worries

I have towed with a GS300 and the fuel difference was not that worse as you tend to drive more economically anyway when towing.

Harrier is a solid 4x4 with a rock solid Transmission! Just make sure you fit the Tranny cooler first though.