Cheap Soarer's

Hi guys,

I have seen TT soarers on carsales and trading post in the price bracket of $7k-$9k, e.g Carsales, I was wondering if there would be anything seriously wrong with these cars, like rooted turbo's? Are there any questions I should be asking in particular?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys,

I have seen TT soarers on carsales and trading post in the price bracket of $7k-$9k, e.g Carsales, I was wondering if there would be anything seriously wrong with these cars, like rooted turbo's? Are there any questions I should be asking in particular?

i would say either high mileage or shot turbo's but the two go hand in hand, basically nobody wants to buy soarers i dont know why i bought mine in beautiful condition for $10500 with a couple of mods, turbo's have been fine and only 85000 k's on it, the car is an import so the k's have been wound back but it still in great nic.

so the 8-9k soarers will probly need new turbo's or rebuild the current ones.

i have nothing but good things to say about the soarers they are years ahead of there time, current cars are still being produced with less features.

for value for what your paying the soarer is miles ahead any car in the same price bracket.

• 2 weeks later...

I think its pretty much the best time to buy a soarer, lucky I previously sold my old ride (modded S13) and have been contemplating picking up a soarer for a while now.. perfect timing really!

I was perusing drive.com the other day and noticed a 95 GT-L with just over 100 tho for $7k, seemed too good to be true.. sure was, even tho the car was listed as being in "nsw other/regional" with "11/06" rego.. the email from the "owner" tells another story.

Apparently the car is now in rome and he can send it to me if I only send him a $3,000 deposit... yeh, sure.. let me just grab my CC :blink:

Anyway im just keeping my eye out at the moment for a clean TT with reasonable KM's, hopefully il find myself a nice example!

• 2 weeks later...

Its such a pity that they are so cheap, my garage is already full! ;D

Lots of problems can occur with the Soarers (gadgets!!!!) because, face it, they can be up to 16 years old now. On the plus side, always cheap to fix if you follow the right steps! =P

Lots of dealers and casual owners come accross problems like the blinky dash and end up forking out $$hundreds for replacement parts, when you can easily fix with a couple of simple tweaks! =P

My advice is to check them out. Take a few for some test drives. Hell take lots out for drives! Find one that you like the most and then go over it with a fine tooth. Check all the common things that go wrong and if you cant see any problems snap the car up.

I havent ever heard of someone disappointed with their Soarer purchase.

A good rule of thumb, put aside ~$3000 for the first year of its life to fight against things breaking. Common money pits are the airconditioner (i just put $1500 into replacing about all of mine), turbos (when the ceramic wheels die, replace the turbos or put steel wheels in, ~$2000), auto transmisison (mainly a problem in the TT's, the Japanese like to trash turbo cars! I put $1000 including labour into replacing mine last year). There are also a couple other common mechanical faults that can occur, ~$400 a piece.