Turbo Or S/c Info For Is200

Hey all,

I'm new here and am looking for some information on giving the 1G-FE some balls.

Let me introduce myself. I drive a RWD Celica with a 1G-GTE. That's the twin turbo version of the IS200's 1G-FE. It makes about 190kW and the car weighs 1220kg with half a tank of petrol.

Now you can see my problem with the 114kW/1500kg IS200.

I test drove both IS200 and IS300 yesterday. If you want to read my driving impressions, then go here:

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&th=30083

Now, I love the handling of the IS200 but just can't live with the lack of power, so I'm after some information on getting more power.

I've heard that there's a TTE supercharger kit, and after some searching, also found this turbo kit:

http://www.turbo-kits.com/IS200_turbo_kits.html

Anyone know how much the TTE kit costs?

Any info on power mods would be handy. How strong are the internals of the 1G-FE? Can the computer handle boost? Or will I have to get an aftermarket one that knows how to control the VVTi?

Any other turbo kits out there? Or if I was to go custom, what sort of things will I need to look out for?

Let me introduce myself. I drive a RWD Celica with a 1G-GTE. That's the twin turbo version of the IS200's 1G-FE. It makes about 190kW and the car weighs 1220kg with half a tank of petrol.

Well I dont know about the fitment or much about the 1G-GTE motor but why not drop that motor into a Lexus then, it would be a hell of a lot more cheaper than building a turbo or supercharged 1G-FE I would think.

As far as the turbo charging or supercharging of those engines is concerned they still only get to around 160 - 175 kw after doing so.

The japanese altezza version which I own has a 154kw engine standard and can be decently increased to maybe 165kw+ none turbo with some modifications (exhaust, computer, air filter etc).

However I guess it depends on your budget! zee007 from the UK has supercharged his Lexus IS.

Anyways I guess it would be a cool project. Im sure there are a few that have been turbocharged and supercharged in Australia. I Remember one in Fast Fours Magazine last year!

Prob havnt been much help, but thats my 2 cents worth

cheers.......4ROLLN

The TTE S/C is a nice and easy bolt on option with good power gains for the money.

Adding 32% more power, and 27% more torque to the IS200, the bolt-on supercharger kit will transform the baby Lexus into the car it should have been.

Increase in power approx: 36.8Kw

Increase in Torque approx: 50Nm

Improved accleration: 0-100km/h by 2.2 secs

Improved accleration: 40-120km/h by 3.2 secs

Improved accleration: 40-160km/h by 7.9 secs

• 3 months later...
Well I dont know about the fitment or much about the 1G-GTE motor but why not drop that motor into a Lexus then, it would be a hell of a lot more cheaper than building a turbo or supercharged 1G-FE I would think.

In NSW, it's against the law to drop in an engine that's older than the body. :(

1G-GTE would be perfect, but not legal.

The TTE S/C is a nice and easy bolt on option with good power gains for the money.

Unfortunately, I've been hit by the turbo bug. :)

Supercharging is nice, good response, but I prefer turbos for their efficiency.

Hi guys, so do these options apply to the Altezza engine also? and what choices do I have to add either a s/c or turbo, i mean what brands are out there? thanks! :gav:

I know a few people with worked Altezza engines. They can make about 250hp or so. N/A goodness. :)

These are racing engines though, so big cams, special ECUs, etc.

I wouldn't boost one of those engines, they're made for a high revving N/A application so their internals would not withstand strong boost (not to mention the high compression ratio) .