Keep The Shocks, Or Not?

Hello,

Some say that the limit for lowering a car without changing the stock shocks is about 1", but is this actually true? I.e. will damage still be caused, so that is it still better to get new aftermarket shocks?

I am thinking of getting the Eibach Pro Kit, which comes with bump stops as i understand it. Will this make a difference?

It seems like a shame to change the stock shocks, which are gas, but at the same time i'm not gonna skimp just to save money. It's a Lex after all. :P

Thanks for your advice

Hello,

Some say that the limit for lowering a car without changing the stock shocks is about 1", but is this actually true? I.e. will damage still be caused, so that is it still better to get new aftermarket shocks?

I am thinking of getting the Eibach Pro Kit, which comes with bump stops as i understand it. Will this make a difference?

It seems like a shame to change the stock shocks, which are gas, but at the same time i'm not gonna skimp just to save money. It's a Lex after all. :P

Thanks for your advice

Hey, Our Stock Shocks are capable for a 1.5" drop, I m lowering my car to 1.45 inchesm which is basiclly the max it can handle, It should arrive tomorrow morning or latest on thrusday morning...I have to get Gav S to hook me up with the install and will let you know when i got it.....until then just keep on waiting.......

Matt

An inch or two is no problem, but check the shock length.

Whatever you do, it is not wise to have the car hit the bump stops when cornering. This throws the load directly onto the tyre sidewalls and the tyre gives up any traction immediately. If you lower the car (there is no limit really) you have to make sure that the shocks can compress further than the springs, otherwise the shock shaft bottoms out first and snaps.

Springs must be stiffer when shorter, so the car does not go down further in 'bump', or you need to check for shorter shocks and shorter bump stops. But stiffer springs need stronger shock absorbers to control them, or you end up like the crap Civics and rubbish that I see pitching up and down over little bumps 'cos the guy inside couldn't afford to match the shocks and springs.

Bump stops need to be progressive and soft, to minimise the 'jumping off the road' result....

Heavier anti-roll bars help a lot, but the point of picking up the inside wheel is soon reached and from that point they do nothing more. You need roll to load the outside tyres to increase traction, but too much upsets the tyre angles.

The guy fitting the springs should explain all this. Thats why you go to someone who does suspension for racing cars.

Ideally the car should handle like a V8Supercar or a WRC rallycar, depending on what you want. You don't see either of those carrying any extra bounce or pitch, but it is difficult to get just right.

keith <---many years of rallying and and breaking things generally. :lol:

greeneyes: Wow, you are like a walking encyclopedia :o :P Thanks for the info

LsportlineIS300: Yeah i have been waiting for a while, so a bit longer wont hurt :lol:.

I emailed the Australian distributor of Eibach about the springs and this is what he told me:

"Eibach Springs are designed to work with the original shocks. Because of they are designed like this, original bumpstops are fine."

So yeah, might spend the extra cash on an intake or something :D

greeneyes: Wow, you are like a walking encyclopedia :o :P Thanks for the info

LsportlineIS300: Yeah i have been waiting for a while, so a bit longer wont hurt :lol:.

I emailed the Australian distributor of Eibach about the springs and this is what he told me:

"Eibach Springs are designed to work with the original shocks. Because of they are designed like this, original bumpstops are fine."

So yeah, might spend the extra cash on an intake or something :D

lol, yeah greeneyes do know what he is talking about, I know for sure not to lower your car any more than 1/5" with stock shocks.......

Matt :D