hi, im looking for new tires for my IS. and just find out for 17" michelin pilot super sport tires. i was quote with $1800 in au. and $1150 from tirerack(including shipping). but the tire rack only accept wire transfer which i dont like it. so just asking anybody ever bought tires from US? and how you paid? thanks.

Yes, Tire Rack are fine. Many, many people have used them for tires and wheels.

Be aware you could be hit with GST and possible some duty for the tyres, so at a minimum you will be 10% more for GST, plus the freight company normally charges for the GST transaction say around $50.00.

At $1,150.00 you are $150 over the GST exclusion threshold but sometimes they let things pass.

But the answer the question and as mentioned, I have used Tire Rack myself and seen many other various forum users do the same.

Yes, Tire Rack are fine. Many, many people have used them for tires and wheels.

Be aware you could be hit with GST and possible some duty for the tyres, so at a minimum you will be 10% more for GST, plus the freight company normally charges for the GST transaction say around $50.00.

At $1,150.00 you are $150 over the GST exclusion threshold but sometimes they let things pass.

But the answer the question and as mentioned, I have used Tire Rack myself and seen many other various forum users do the same.

Thanks a lot. Did you pay them by wire transfer or credit card?

You have to pay via wire transfer, they do not except international credit cars.

If you have a US credit card you might get them to accept.

Looking at the number you have mentioned I think you will only be saving around $400.00 AUD give or take a fee.

AUD has just dropped!

GST $115.00

Carrier Fee for GST transaction $50.00 (Min)

Local Tyre company fit and Balance $100.00

Was the $1,800.00 the best local price you could find?

I know $400, is $400 in the pocket but for me it is not enough of a saving to warrant the trouble. But each to their own.

Good Luck

Sherlockyou... Try St. George Tyres in Arncliffe. They have been the cheapest for a lot of tyre purchases I have done in the past.

My cousin recently shopped around for replacment tyres for his BMW, and was convinced he had the best price in NSW. A call to St. George Tyres and he saved another $240 over 4 tyres. They were either Michelins or Coninentals from memory.

Sherlockyou... Try St. George Tyres in Arncliffe. They have been the cheapest for a lot of tyre purchases I have done in the past.

My cousin recently shopped around for replacment tyres for his BMW, and was convinced he had the best price in NSW. A call to St. George Tyres and he saved another $240 over 4 tyres. They were either Michelins or Coninentals from memory.

i just asked st. george tires.. they dont have michelin super sport available...