Lexus Service - Melbourne

CL1706

Hi All

Have a 2007 IS250, and am looking to get my first non-warranty service. Had some pretty poor experiences with the local Lexus Service Department here in Melbourne, but looking for recommendations on where some of you take your Lexus for their general service.

Any recommendations greatly received, and happy to pass on your name if it is likely to help out in the future.

I have used Melbourne since new with my ISF. My experiences have been indifferent, that is I have not had any issues with any actual servicing or the staff but I have persistent rattles that they don't seem to be able to fix (multiple trips).

Can give you some further feedback on Friday as my car is going in for my 45,000 km service and possibly brake pads.

Jamie the service manager is pretty good and has looked after me where possible. They always wash and vacuum the car and I think sometimes I have even got some goodies (chocolates) on picking up car from service.

Loan car are IS250s and CT200h, I think they might have some IS350's also.

Their service office is nothing flash though, so don't expect anything special if you need to spend some time waiting. I think you can go sit down in the sales area where they have coffee and drinks etc. I just dump and run in a loan CT :)

I have been underwhelmed with Lexus service in Vic, but I've only dealt with Melbourne (hopeless, don't even bother to call back when I contact them) and Blackburn (not much better - though the main spare parts guy is pretty decent). A few chocolates and free coffee means nothing to me if the service is just marginal with inflated prices.

Then again, I came from dealing with Yarra Valley Toyota. Absolutely the worst service quality I have even seen (Croydon) - mis-threaded battery plugs, loose sump plug, mis-adjusted idle speed, never call back with special order parts (still waiting for the factory 2JZ oil wrench, probably been three months now and it was due "friday" 2 1/2 months ago). The only contact I've had with their Lilydale is service counter, which is dreadful - people walk past ignoring you until the guy who works there gets back (15 minutes, and then I'm told they don't have the part anyway, even for a car they make in Australia). 2 minutes up the road is Eastern Subaru, and every time I go in they are happy to help, even with parts for a 20+ year old car.

If I had to choose between a 86 and a BRZ I know where I would be buying from...

45,000 km service done and what can I say. They did the service in a prompt time and at a lower price than they quoted me. Didn't replace my brakes as they think I will get another 10 - 15,000 km out of them, so that is going to be possible 60,000 km out of one set of rotors and pads :blink:

Found rear shock leaking and have order and will call me when in.

As I say I am not over the moon with their service but to date and other than my rattle issues they have always been good.

For me they are convenient and pricing is not through the roof relative to other similar brands.

Oh and they always pay the tolls on the loan cars, but the potential $3,000.00 excess always gives me the *BLEEP*s LOL

Yes, chocolates mean nothing if the service is *BLEEP*.

So in closing, if it wasn't for the very small but persistent tick / rattle which can't be fixed I would be happy enough and would kind of recommend.

Able to elaborate? I've been considering them for the IS' next survice seeing as they are closer to me than Brighton.

I have to be careful what I say on a public forum, because my experience with "the other mob" down south involved many letters back and forth with Lexus Australia, and threats of legal action (by myself) before Lexus Oz gave me a refund for the cost of my service....

I bought my LS400 from Brighton in 2003. The car was fantastic, and, at the start, their service was ok. At around the 140K mark, my LS developed a squeak in the left rear suspension. I took it to my dealer, they told me, 1st, that they "couldn't find any noise", 2nd, that they lubricated all suspension points, and, on the final visit, that the shock absorber was "no longer serviceable" (ie, worn out) and needed replacing.

I was furious that it took them so many visits to diagnose what should have been a simple problem. Seeking another opinion, I drove to City Lexus. I was given the brush off - "we need to drive the car to diagnose the problem - come back another day and then we'll make a booking". So in other words, I had to waste 2 more days driving all the way to Elizabeth St just so you can diagnose and make a booking. By this stage, the shock was so bad, it was squeaking loudly whenever you pressed down on the rear suspension with your hands.

I finally drove to Blackburn to see what they would say. The made an appointment for me the following day, and on the day of the service visit, they rang me 30 minutes after I dropped the car off to tell me the shock absorber required replacing. Amazing what a competent mechanic can do.

The communication with Lexus Oz was a separate issue. I made the mistake of purchasing a used RX330 from Brighton. During the test drive, I noticed that the brakes were not good, and there was a bad vibration from the front rotors. I told the dealer when I signed the contract that I was not happy with the brakes on the vehicle, and that they needed to check/rectify before delivery. When I picked up the RX, I noticed when I drove away that the brakes weren't touched, and they were just as bad as they were during the test drive.

I took my RX to Blackburn for them to inspect the brakes - the report was, all brake pads require replacing, front brake rotors below minimum thickness and require replacing (bear in mind my RX only had 42,000Km on the clock when I purchased it).

After many heated letters between Brighton and Lexus Oz, I finally received a refund cheque from Lexus Oz for the cost of repairing the brakes as a "goodwill gesture" (in other words, to stop me from suing Brighton). I had a sour taste in my mouth with that 330 from the beginning. The writing was on the wall on the day I took delivery of it. The dealer whom I signed the contract with was apparently "too busy" to even put in an appearance and shake my hand and congratulate me on my purchase, and I was fobbed off to someone else to sign the papers and get the keys. Bear in mind that until I discovered the brake problem on the 330, I was always on good terms with everyone at that dealership. I'm so glad I got rid of that 330......

Oh, and to further add to people's amusement, when Brighton did the 150K service on my LS (timing belt service), the bright spark who replaced the timing belt did not attach the hose clip on the bottom hose to the radiator properly when he re-installed the radiator. The result - the hose clip popped off the radiator, dumping all of the coolant. Thank god it happened literally just as I drove into my garage, leaving a big puddle of coolant on the garage floor. There were stunned and shocked looks on the faces of the people in Brighton Lexus the next morning when my LS arrived on the back of a flatbed, with me in the passenger seat of the truck :lol:

Regarding Blackburn, I have no hesitation recommending them for service. Ryan and Des are mechanics, and are straight shooters who know what they're talking about. Nothing annoys me more than the "computer operator" who knows how to print out a service invoice, but has never touched a spanner in their life, and still talk down to you and treat every customer like an idiot. Ryan and Des are also "economical" with their advice, and won't insist that you change a part unless it's absolutely necessary, even though I have spent more than the market value on maintenance on my LS400 (because I love it). Blackburn have never "missed" anything, giving me a poor repair, they always keep me up to date via phone, and the cars have always been ready when promised.

Finally, there's also the issue of convenience. Blackburn is about a 10 - 15min drive down the Eastern Fwy from my home, depending on traffic. City Lexus is at least 1 hour in morning traffic, Eltsternwick is more than 1 hour. I don't drink coffee, couldn't care less about the sweets, and my courtesy cars have almost always been RX350s and 450s, with the ocassional IS250 ;)

I didn't intend to be controversial in my post, but thinking back to my experience still brings back old wounds. The above is a long-winded explanation as to why I won't "take my cars to the other mob" :)

Wow, thankyou for such a detailed reply, really appreciate it! I'm surprised that you've had such a negative experience with Brighton! Will be making a booking at Blackburn for the IS soon, hope to recieve the same positive experiences as you've had.

Jamie the service manager is pretty good and has looked after me where possible. They always wash and vacuum the car and I think sometimes I have even got some goodies (chocolates) on picking up car from service.

I have yet to do my first service, there is another just under 10,000 km left that of which I would care to predict some time next year for the servicing as I hardly drive the car.

Hmm, is that the same Jamie at the very same Melbourne City Lexus? If so, I hope he gives me a call tomorrow and give me some good news about my second key replacement, because its been 4.5 weeks since I bought an ex-demonstrator from that dealership. I was told that some one who drove it last at their dealership as a company vehicle lost the second key.

Blackburn is the closest dealership, but since I bought it from Melbourne City Lexus, I would probably assume that I would have to bring it back there?

Blackburn is the closest dealership, but since I bought it from Melbourne City Lexus, I would probably assume that I would have to bring it back there?

You can take it to any Lexus Dealer during the warranty period.

I have yet to do my first service, there is another just under 10,000 km left that of which I would care to predict some time next year for the servicing as I hardly drive the car.

Hmm, is that the same Jamie at the very same Melbourne City Lexus? If so, I hope he gives me a call tomorrow and give me some good news about my second key replacement, because its been 4.5 weeks since I bought an ex-demonstrator from that dealership. I was told that some one who drove it last at their dealership as a company vehicle lost the second key.

I would think the same Jamie (service Manager) there are two Roberts as service advisors.

• 9 years later...