Looking For A Little Bit Of Power From An Is200

Hey all. i have read into this a fair bit and getting confused with conflicting results and ideas.

so. picking up a 2001 auto is200. what im looking at is just getting a little bit extra from for say merging onto the highway and such. wont be doing an engine swap yet and wont turbo it unless its super easy and a bolt on kit really cheap. id consider a blower setup if its cheap. but mostly wondering if doing a decat set of extractors and freeing up the rest of the exhaust. maybe a drop in panel filter. will this get me anywhere? will it just let the motor breath easier resulting in freer revving and maybe a slight increase in economy?

some posts i have read say it will do the opposite of that. making economy worse and lowering power? which goes against how nearly every other car would react to those mods.

i will mostly be cruising down the highway between brisbane and gold coast with it. no plans to race it or anything like that. in a year or 2 when money is freed up if im still up for it i will go down the path of 2jz gte with a manual.

or is it possible to get a unichip and get the thing tuned to push out some more power. dont the celicas use this same motor and make more power?

if there are posts that i have missed or sites i should be looking at please point me that way. and sorry if this is yet another post like this. but the information so far is conflicting and mostly from a few years ago.

I put a Pipercross filter in mine and left it at that for now. The 1G-FE isn't built for speed, so I'm just going to save my money till it's time for an engine swap... ie when I can afford it haha

Celica never used the 1G-FE. It shared the 3S-GE with the Altezza, which we didn't get here.

Turbo is about the only option, but it's expensive...better to simply sell and buy an IS300 or Altezza RS200.

yeah. the more i drive the more comfortable i am with the power it has. i am doing mostly highway and once its going its fine.

im just wondering if anyone has any experience with anything in the way of say removing the second cat and middle muffler and putting a straight through muffler in place with 2.5inch pipe. would that give a little bit of response off the line?

new air filter plugs. upper engine cleaner and some fuel system cleaner has helped. also the mods to get rid of all the throttle slack. thats helped heaps. it just needs a little bit more. like 10hp would be a massive difference.

i keep searching but only seem to find people going for massive gains and swapping motor instead. i cant find any supercharger kits or turbo kits for it. but probably wouldnt bother going to that extreme. can also not find anything to support a gain at all from a cold air intake or a headers back exhaust or from extractors. getting to the point where im thinking no one has given this motor enough chance.

oh to clarify. i dont expect this car to be super fast. im just after a slight gain. this car for me is a daily highway car and just want the pickup for when im in traffic. mostly trying for gains now before a fair bit of sound gear goes in and takes that pulling power away even more so.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

About 7k fitted tuned and mod plated.

As apose to 1jz/2jz where it was going to cost me 7k in parts and my own labour and alot of time to do it.

I boosted the 1gfe its sweet not crazy power but enough to have fun. The 6spd and lsd comes alive with a single flywheel conversion and HD clutch aswell.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm Selling a complete 1gfe turbo engine. Comes out of a 2000 Lexus is200. 2 Liter 6 cylinder baby 2j running a custom intake, exhaust manifold, Garrett t25 ball bearing turbo with turbo smart internal wastegate, 3 port solenoid, 550cc injectors run by a turbo specialities injection control unit which is in the car as a hand controller, all new and polished piping for the included fmic and custom dump into a 3 inch turbo back exhaust. Comes with complete harness and computer running a uni chip set to 6 psi. 5 Speed auto box that's in great shape and a few other bits and pieces. It's currently in the car and can be driven and compression checked. 4500 Ono located port macquarie.