Painted My Calipers!

Finally got round to painting my calipers today.

don't know about down here - but in the UK, the IS calipers have a real problem with corrision.

heres a pic of mine before I painted them

Img00001.sized.jpg

as you can see, they look really awful, with white, fungal looking spots.

Got the wheels off, and gave them a good scrub with a wire brush to remove any rust or flakiness.

Them rubbed them down with white spirits to thoroughly clean the surface.

Gave it two good coats of Hammerite Smooth - was a beautiful warm day, so it was drying nice and quick - left it for twenty minutes for cold drinks between coats.

Left it to dry for half an hour - and put the wheels back on.

Img00012.sized.jpg

big improvemment I think!

I have some chrome Lexus stickers to go on them - but thats a job for next weekend :(

Hehe :D

Matt is doing mine should be finished today

will post up pics is well

Hey samuel

did you try the crc brake clean? did the paint go on any better on the drivers side.

Was good catching up with you and Matt.

Yeah I've doen samuels one...no we didnt use the CRC Brake clean and the end...i just start spraying it more away from teh brake and it turns out better.....keith (greeneyes) said its due to the silicon they get on the wheel...it was a pleasure to meet you too Hoon.

Matt

lookin sharp matt-great match with the car color too!

its not a bad match - I would have preferred it to be darker - but Hammerite don't colour match to Lexus paint codes :rolleyes:

still - looks a lot better than it did before, so I am pretty happy.

Don't have too much prob with tarnishing down here,unless ya happen to live right beside a picturesque beach!! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind so much if that was what caused the problem - unfortunately, in the UK the phrase "picturesque beach" is an oxymoron :lol::lol:

Just another point - as you can see by the dirty fingers on the wheels - there is a light spattering of brake dust on the rims.

Those wheels have not been cleaned now for two weeks, and they have done between 750 and 900 miles in that period.

The EBC rotors and pads I have on the front really cut down on the brake dust.

The guys running standard Lexus rotors / pads will vouch for how dirty their wheels would be in that sort of time frame.

Hey samuel

How does the yellow calipers match the green Altezza?? B)

Hi Bodin:

The Yellow is probly the best for a Green Altezza, I done his one during the week. If you do not want to do them yourself, I can get evrything done for you within an afternoon. Or red is going to look nice as well.

Matt

I finally got around to put the pictures up ...

They are up in gallery

looking sharp ;)

considered going for a starkly contrasting colour, such as red or yellow - but I thought that as the stickers are chrome, decided to tie it in to the color scheme of the car. B)

Have u got pictures of ur chrome stickers on ur car ?

must look nice :D