Personal Import From Japan To Australia

I plan to bring my altezza RS200 back from Japan and I am aware of all the documentations required but one thing I am not sure of is the custom value that Australian customs will place on it. That is important as there is a 15% customs tax and 10% GST tax based on their 'custom value'. They told me they won't use the purchase price from japan as it would be muc lower than the australian value but who knows what's that Australian customs value is... anyone has any idea??

Thanks

I have done a bit of research about it and found that you do not have to pay 15%

of the purchase car (you will save about $5000), because it is personal import.

You have to provide documents that you have owned a car overseas for at least 12 months

You can find this information on www.dotars.gov.au (search for importing vehicle)

Can you tell me how fast is your car?

What mods do you have?

Thanks ;)

I am sure you can bring any car back as long as its under personal import because I spoke to them about it and I really don't know how fast it goes being in Japan as the 'freeway' that I use to go to work is 50km/h.

ivanbad, you sure i don't have to pay the 15% duty free?? cos I called them before I left and they told me those are the two items I have to pay (ie. GST and customs duty). But I hope u are rite. If u reckon I can save about 5000 that means the customs value is about 40000 for an altezza... that's not too bad.

$AU40000!! OMG!! A brand-new one I hope!

A '99 is worth $20K to $25k ($NZ that is) on the card in a second-hand dealer here. You could bargain a few grand off that. They go up to about $40k for '02/'03 ones.

You should use New Zealand prices as a comparison, as we have bought the cars in Japan and paid the freight etc to NZ, so that is what they could sell them in Aussie without all the taxes.

You could easily search for them for sale in NZ web pages, and build up a library of prices

keith

Yes I am sure, because my friend just bought Altezza in Japan and he is waiting for the car to arrive to Sydney.

He told me that he will not pay 15% of the purchase price. He should get it in about 3-4 weeks, and then I will let you know.

I will sell my car in March and will try to bring Altezza to Sydney (If I will not change my mind and buy S15 :D ).

I think it is possible to bring Altezza to Australia, because I have seen few on the roads.

Are you allowed to import Altezza's into Aussie.  I thought you were not able to.  You better check that first.

My Altezza RS200 arrives 2moro into NZ.  Easy process into NZ.

You reckon it's worth the effort to import one yourself into NZ? I'm looking at acquiring an Altezza, so it could be an option for me to consider. Would I need contacts in Japan to suss it out from that end?

Cheers,

Jason.

I don't think u can import an altezza into Australia cos the only way to do it is thru personal import which require u to have lived in the country u are importing from for a year. Otherwise it cannot be brought in.

So the only way to do that is to move to japan for a year !0!

• 3 months later...

No car is banned from import. All cars are ok. Since the introductions of SEVS many good cars were banned from the low volume import scheme, however as a private import, anything is possible as long as you have owned it for a year.

The Aust Gov. is trying to make it as difficult as possible for people to send private imports at the request of the big car companies. Persoanl imports have plummeted over the past few years.

As for the tax, simple, a straight 25% of the purchase price plus on board freight(FOB). So basically 25% of the total cost of bringing the car to Australia.

Unfortunately in about 2000 the gov. did away with the the depreciation rates which would be very handy in todays market but hey they are trying to pressure people into not taking the plunge to send cars.

The latest little beauty is that all cars imported into Australia must have a certified document saying that the airconditioner gas was released in Japan in an "environmently freindly manner". Seems like a joke to me that you have to release this gas in Japanjust to refill the car when it arrives in Australia. Using twice as much gas is "environmently friendly"?