As it happens, I emailed our local Lexus dealer (Adelaide) about towbars for the is250 only last week. I got a very firm reply to the effect that Lexus actually strongly advise that owners NOT to fit a towbar of any kind to the IS250. The email added however that Lexus are working on a towbar solution as a matter of priority. I only want mine to put a bike rack, not for towing a trailer etc

Thanks Dr Dan.

The towbar has been available in UK for quite some time, but my local dealership tells me that they are still waiting on certification approval from some Australian standards (???) group.

I haven't heard anything about not recommending the installation of the towbar.

I am the same as you, mainly want for bike carrier. Occasional trip to dump, but that is very rare.

• 2 weeks later...

Update from Lexus Customer Support.

Thank you for taking the time to access the Lexus Australia Website and post your enquiry.

The IS250 towbar was signed off at the end off on the 25th August by our accessory engineers in Australia. We then placed an order with the supplier which is in Europe on the 31st August and we hope to have in about 9 weeks time from this date. The process of towbar development is a huge task with many hours spent ensuring the bar meets the Australian Design rules, manufacturing and testing the wiring harness, manufacturing a compliance plate and also the fitting instructions. We have advised the dealers that they should not expect to see this before November however we are doing our best to release the bar sooner.

The towbar is being produced in Europe and the manufacturing and shipping process takes about 9 weeks. We apologise for any inconvenience and assure you that we are working as fast as we can to get it out on the market.

Kind Regards,

Brooke Bryson-Manson

Customer Service Agent

Lexus Customer Assistance Centre

Ph: 1800 023 009

Fx: 1800 684 775

I have questioned some of the above detail. Will keep those who want towbars, posted.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like the dealers finally have details.

Price is going to be around $960 (RRP) +or- for towbar and wiring kit , with about 2 to 3 hours to fit. This fitting time is far better than that of the GS. They are about 8 hours as they have to fit a oil cooler as well.

Now waiting for for parts to arrive at dealer.

• 4 weeks later...
Looks like the dealers finally have details.

Price is going to be around $960 (RRP) +or- for towbar and wiring kit , with about 2 to 3 hours to fit. This fitting time is far better than that of the GS. They are about 8 hours as they have to fit a oil cooler as well.

Now waiting for for parts to arrive at dealer.

I asked about the tow bar for my is250, i hope your sitting down.....i was quoted $1350 fitted, it allows you to tow up to 1500kgs. I must admit it was about the same price for my is200 5 years ago. By having the tow bar in place protected my car from car spaces and the odd bump from crap drivers, so i guess it paid for its self in the long run.

palms

Yep Palms.

Have run into some hagling issues with my dealer. Thought I was getting trade price, but when I put the car in to have the towbar fitted, they would not do it for trade price, but said they would do fit it and only charge 2 hours labour. Lexus have said it should be 3 hours.

So, the price quoted then became $1,290. This makes it very interesting as the RRP on the towbar and wiring kits was $960. So, 2 hours of labour costs $330 !!! :angry:

I am in the wrong business. How can any garage charge $175 an hour for labour! :angry:

So, I have delayed any decision and talking to a few of my friends in the industry to get them to get it and fit for trade price, and maybe a whole lot cheaper on fitting!

• 4 weeks later...
Yep Palms.

Have run into some hagling issues with my dealer. Thought I was getting trade price, but when I put the car in to have the towbar fitted, they would not do it for trade price, but said they would do fit it and only charge 2 hours labour. Lexus have said it should be 3 hours.

So, the price quoted then became $1,290. This makes it very interesting as the RRP on the towbar and wiring kits was $960. So, 2 hours of labour costs $330 !!! :angry:

I am in the wrong business. How can any garage charge $175 an hour for labour! :angry:

So, I have delayed any decision and talking to a few of my friends in the industry to get them to get it and fit for trade price, and maybe a whole lot cheaper on fitting!

Why not buy the the bar and get some one else to fit it...(another workshop)Take it from me it aint that difficult to fit, it comes with very detailed instructions and only basic hand tools required.

thejet.

Yep. If I do go ahead with it, I will go though a friend in the industry and get their garage (Holden :o ) to fit it.

It is more an issue with the wiring that worries me doing it myself, and I think there may have to be a hole cut in the bumper bar. :huh:

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Rusty.

Seems to be the case these days.

They are now saying it's like 10 hours to fit. Originally, before they had done any, it was supposed to be 3 hours according to Lexus corporate.

RRP on the towbars & wiring harness is about $1,080 (roughly).

I am trying to get fitted by a Towbar company. Will update you on the price if they can do.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update.

Got towbar via a friend in the trade, so got a small discount, about 10%.

Had a professional towbar company install it.

They gave me a quote for a little over 3 hours work (what it says in the Lexus install kits to do the work) at a fixed rate.

Ended up taking 5 hours to do the install, but there were a couple a ciggy breaks, etc, in that time.

It probably could have been quicker, excepted the guy (only one) got stupped trying to fine the connection point for a "live" wire under the dash. Maybe 4 hours may have been a realistic time.

And this was for someone not knowing the car and reading the install instructions as he went.

So, Lexus, 10 hours, hmmmmm, makes you wonder what they are doing, especially when the Lexus guys would know there way around the car.

So, towbar installed and everything is working as it should.

Anyone else wants details of installer etc, PM me.

• 5 years later...

Sorry all for reviving the dead.

I am thinking of getting a tow bar on my 250 just to drag some bikes around. Nothing too heavy duty like caravans/trailers.

I definitely can't justify getting another car just to drag a couple of push bikes around, so I'm going to go with my 250.

My question is, how many of us have actually had their towbar fitted, and what are your comments?

I've seen many a Ford Falcon driving around with a tow bar sticking out of their bumper, and the bumper was cut around to accomodate the fitting. It looks terrible I would really prefer to not cut my bumper in any way.

Also, being a complete n00b at all this, I would ask what is the purpose of buying a genuine lexus towbar (and for a ridiculous price too)? For a 5-year old car with expired warranty, would I be better off not going genuine and save a lot more money?

Thanks guys!