hey guys,

Im in abit of a situation at the moment. im planning to let go of my evo 6.5 for a lexus is250, wondering if u guys could gimmi some feedback on the car.

the car is fairly new so im guessing the warranty issues etc will be fairly high at the moment.

im tossing up between the is250 prestige (base model) with maybe a sunroof, and the bmw 320i (e90). the interior of the is250 is superb i must say. what are your thoughts? suggestions? (might be abit more bias here hehaeh being that its a lexus forum)

what should i pay for the prestige base model with sunroof? what have other people paid? and where?

pros and cons of the is250?

any help would be much appreciative.

cheers,

willy

oh and ive actaully got a price on the 06 model for 57k with sunroof or the 07 model for 59k without the sunroof.

if anyone has experienced any cheaper prices would be great to share, as im really looking to buy very soon. i dont mind the wait for the 07 shipment, if the price meets value for money ill pretty much accept it.

I test drove both the 320i and is250 before deciding to go with the latter.

I can tell you this much, the 320i is crap. It lacks ALOT of power and smoothness and you will not be happy with it. Under normal driving when i drove the 320i, i can't help but go over 4000rpm (just to get it to a speed i want)...this is bad. The Is250 had no problems and is alot more responsive.

If you want to compare a bmw to the is250, you need to get the 325i, and that would put you near 80K. Not worth it for just an engine upsize with everything else the same.

BMW is very boring to drive and lacks alot of features.

The Is250 is for cruising in comfort and fully loaded with options your heart will ever desire so if you're after a car that would give you best value for your bucks, go for the Lexus.

I would totally agree with Idc.

You are going to find the IS250 has lots more power and performance, even though a lot of car mags, shows, believe the BMW 3 series drives better. Again, you have to look at the 325 to compare performance and like Idc said, the starting price is $80k.

In my opion, the IS is better finished inside and as for looks outside, each to their own.

Not sure on wheel size for the prestege but is going to be at least the same if not better then the BM.

Overall, the IS is going to give you more features at better value, and comparing the IS to the 320, far better power.

As for waiting for the 07 model and paying the extra, that will all depend on how long you think you will keep the car. The longer you keep it the less the difference on re-sale and when it comes down to it, with no difference in features or shape, it will probably depend on how the presentation of the car is and how many Ks are on the clock.

Push a bit harder on the deal for the 06 model if it is sitting on the showroom floor.

I'm amazed to know that insurance is more for the is250 (even compare to 323i). For me it's $15/month extra.

Recent NRMA test (with Lexus Is250 being the best prestige car for 2006) shows the depreciation is more for BMW than is Lexus.

http://www.australiasbestcars.com.au/2006/2006_prestige.pdf

As for insurance, it is going to vary with the different Insurers and individuals.

I how found that Allianz was the best for me on the IS250, but I didn't ask about any BMW pricing.

I have seen that BMW give more for trade ins but then the resale price is higher. Most seem to be down % wise in the present market.

Again, it will depend on Ks on the clock and how well the car has been maintained.

Apples to Apples, you will probably find the BM getting slightly higher re-sale, % of price paid.

Don't forget BMW costs more to start with and so resales value would depend also on the original prices.

At the moement there are heaps of bmw on for sale compare to the lexus. I recon prices will drop alot for BMWs due to over-supply (more than demand).