Harmonic Vibration In Is200's

I have an IS200 that has a harmonic vibration between 75-80 Klm/hr.

Lexus Australia have told me it is a characteristic of this series. This was after the dealership tried to rectify the problem - which I might add took approx. 6 months.

I would like to get feedback from IS200 owners if they a have similiar problem.

MORE TO THE POINT - I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU IF YOUR IS200 DOESN'T HAVE THIS PROBLEM - PLEASE!!!

I have a genuine problem that I'm trying to resolve and I need to hear from IS200) owners that do not have this problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only just purchased mine, but i havn't noticed anything at those speeds.

sorry i can't give you any advice mate.

best of luck sorting out your issue.

Atto,

Thankyou for responding. I'm having a difficult time resolving this issue.

It sounds like a resonance coming from the exhaust. Kinda like a hum...hum...

The car also makes a peculiar noise at 120 Klm/hr and coming back through 100 Klm/hr

So far Lexus has changed the tailshaft, put two new tyres on, replaced the front rotors, and placed a resonator behind the cat. converter. The later making a slight difference.

When the problem became "unfixable" I was told it was a series "characteristic".

So if I can find one IS200 thats runs smooth, Ive something to argue with.

I hope your car is perfect - they certianly are a nice car to drive. I traded a BMW318 in on this car and I consider the Lexus a better deal. Except for this bloody noise.

Mate, where are you situated as I'm in Queensland.

Would you be willing to have your IS checked out at a Lexus dealership? At my cost.

I would appreciate your response.

Regards

Buzzbomb

I have only just bought this car, i'll be going for a nice long drive down the coast this sunday, i will get back to you if i notice anything like what you're mentioning.

so far i've only done city driving really and not noticed anything yet.

my first thought was the cat, but you said they replaced that and it made a slight difference, now i've no idea what the problem could be.

i'm located in Canberra, and purchased my car from the Lexus dealership here.

as i said, if i dont notice any odd sounds on this trip of mine i'll get back to you and we can discuss it further from there.

oh also, mine is a 2003 auto. not sure if this will make a difference if yours is manual or a different year but i thought i'd mention it.

i will call the dealership here and see if anyone knows anything about IS200's having a characteristic resonance.

best wishes

Atto

I have only just bought this car, i'll be going for a nice long drive down the coast this sunday, i will get back to you if i notice anything like what you're mentioning.

my first thought was the cat, but you said they replaced that and it made a slight difference, now i've no idea what the problem could be.

as i said, if i dont notice any odd sounds on this trip of mine i'll get back to you and we can discuss it further from there.

oh also, mine is a 2003 auto. not sure if this will make a difference if yours is manual or a different year but i thought i'd mention it.

i will call the dealership here and see if anyone knows anything about IS200's having a characteristic resonance.

best wishes

Atto

Atto,

Thanks mate, at present I've booked the car into a Automotive engineer's shop to be assessed.

Hear from you next week. Have a safe jouney

Buzzbomb

best wishes

Atto

Atto,

Thanks mate, at present I've booked the car into a Automotive engineer's shop to be assessed.

Hear from you next week. Have a safe jouney

Buzzbomb

well back from my trip, did 400km's so was long enough to get an idea if it made a noise or not.

i think at higher speeds there was just more road noise, nothing hugely noticable, but because i was TRYING to hear things it was probably more pronounced.

i can't say i heard a resonating hum at all.

i have thought of a fix for yours though.

LOUD MUSIC!

:gav: :lol:

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm just posting to let you know that this 'characteristic' is well-known in the toyota altezza variant. I assume it's the 3000rpm 'rumble'. If you search around google you'll find many more matches but this website has done a lot or research and come to the same conclusion as lexus/toyota: it's just a characteristic of the engine.

http://z4.lexusownersclub.com/lexusaltezza...ic=962&st=0

Read the enire thread if you think it's your issue.

It happens when DOWNshifting through 3000rpm to around 2400rpm in gears 3-5 (sometimes 6) and doesn't seem to happen in automatics. Some people report a rumble sound, I myself have found it more a rattle or grinding sound. The toyota altezza (the same as the lexus is200) has more reports as more people tend to modify their exhaust systems and flywheels which tends to accentuate the problem (like me!).

Of course you might have something completely different but it sounds like the harmonic resonance which Toyota here in NZ recently acknowledged and claims isn't an issue to 'fix', though it sure is irritating.

• 1 year later...

Lexus Australia have told me it is a characteristic of this series. This was after the dealership tried to rectify the problem - which I might add took approx. 6 months.

MORE TO THE POINT - I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU IF YOUR IS200 DOESN'T HAVE THIS PROBLEM - PLEASE!!!

I have a genuine problem that I'm trying to resolve and I need to hear from IS200) owners that do not have this problem.

Hello,

First of all, sorry for my English.

I have the same car (is 200 1999 automatic) and have the same problem.

when i drive between 75-80 k/hr i got allso a humming sound. I lifted the rear wheels from the ground and switched the tracktion control off. Then i got the same sound but i can not find the cause. is it the axle, transmission, or something else? Dit you fix the problem?

Another problem i have is, when i accellerate, and the engine runs with 3000 rpm whith an outdoor themerature between 13 and 22 degrees celcius some rattle sound comes for under the dashboard. I want to remove the dash for troubleshooting. But maybe somebody got the same problem and found a solution.

greetings,

Ronnie