Supercharge Or Turbo

anyone with ideas of turbo or supercharging is200 and no any mechanics in brisbane area worth talking to, also about to drop off the standard wheels for probably 19 inch wheels so will be looking to buy if anybody has parts and or wheels, mayby 20s but think need to do body work for those so might stick to 19s

ty can email me andydcor@optusnet.com.au

You'll be better off dropping in a 2JZ-GTE engine out of a Supra or Aristo half cut mate, than doing anything to your current engine. Less trouble, better results. Drops straight in, as it is the same engine as the IS300 (plus the turbos of course).

• 2 weeks later...

I dont own an is200 but would like to buy one soon and put a turbo in it. But since u guys said its not worth putting a turbo in the stock engine 1G-FE and its better to just upgrade to the 2JZ-GTE. But i have one problem, i got no idea how to change an engine, how much will it cos for someone to change over the engine?

I dont want to get an is300 cos its not manual so thats out of the question

PeppeX, why not put a manual gearbox into an IS300? You would have to replace the stock IS200 gearbox anyway, as it won't handle the power of a turbo 2J, so might as well go IS300... Having said that 2JZ-GE and 2JZ-GTE have different compression, so you may encounter some minor issues with putting a turbo on a stock IS300 engine, nothing that can't be overcome though. I think the difference is the shape of the pistons (hence difference compression), and the fact that there is no oil squrters on them in the GE engine... otherwise they are identical.

• 3 months later...
I dont own an is200 but would like to buy one soon and put a turbo in it. But since u guys said its not worth putting a turbo in the stock engine 1G-FE and its better to just upgrade to the 2JZ-GTE. But i have one problem, i got no idea how to change an engine, how much will it cos for someone to change over the engine?

i have just done an is200 - 1jz twin turbo

its rather $$$$ as it has an r154 manual in it.

if you do a 1jz dont get a supra twin turbo as they dont really bolt into position - not sure if its the same with the 2jz twin turbo (back pipe hits a firewall) so my motor is mounted a bit further over on custom mounts.

most people get a chaser 1jz single turbo vvti.

remember if you change an is300 over to do it right you really need a 2jzgte if you want to go for big power so its a motor switch anyway. the r154 gear box with no clutch will set you back around $1500 and a j160 from a 2jz gte (6 speed) for around $4500 you will need to put in the clutch peddle as well.

my conversion cost approx $8000 give or take a bit.

but its worth it :)

• 3 years later...

i have just done an is200 - 1jz twin turbo

its rather $$$$ as it has an r154 manual in it.

if you do a 1jz dont get a supra twin turbo as they dont really bolt into position - not sure if its the same with the 2jz twin turbo (back pipe hits a firewall) so my motor is mounted a bit further over on custom mounts.

most people get a chaser 1jz single turbo vvti.

remember if you change an is300 over to do it right you really need a 2jzgte if you want to go for big power so its a motor switch anyway. the r154 gear box with no clutch will set you back around $1500 and a j160 from a 2jz gte (6 speed) for around $4500 you will need to put in the clutch peddle as well.

my conversion cost approx $8000 give or take a bit.

but its worth it smile.gif

hey yoodles

I have just purchased an Is200 1g-fe turbo. Long story short 20km in to the trip home turbo comes on bost (not being a dick and flogging it either) "bang" engine blows up i roll of the highway..oil everywhere (not sure on whats actually wrong..head,rod threw block who knows so its at the mechanics now)

So im thinking about the same conversion you have done rather then another 1g-fe and turbo. Iv been researching and reading for hours about it all and am willing to spend the money.

Wondering what information you could give to me about a list of parts to source or good places to get them from and mechanics to go see. The car is currently in sydney

im after a quick but not over the top car that is reliable for driving.

So my options are another 1g-fe with better internals. or a 1jz

If you are looking for a 4 door turbo Toyota why not a Chaser(JZX100) or a Aristo? Might save you money in the long run.

I have an IS300 I find it too front heavy however there is power there when you want it and it will get you around town for under 10L/100kms. My IS300 is coming up on 300,000kms, so I am either going to swap the engine with another 2JZ-GE or 1JZGTE or 2JZGTE. The easiest swap is a 2JZ-GTE from a late model Aristo(JZS161) the loom is almost identical to a IS300 loom, however again, Auto only. There is plenty of people who have done this swap heaps of info on the net if you are willing to read it.

A Supra runs a Getrag 6 speed V160(series 1) and V161(Series 2). You could bolt these onto an IS300 however, you will need to add a clutch pedal etc and custom trans mount.

The head on a 2JZ-GE is different to the head off a 2JZ-GTE , off the shelf items for a 2JZ-GTE do not bolt onto it. These guys in the States are offering a decent turbo kit for an IS300, my friend has tuned one at 450hp and it rips

http://www.swiftracing.com/SRT/item.aspx?id=10

Other than that you could look at these:

http://www.boostclassifieds.com.au/advert/2230696-2000-Lexus-Is200-Sports-Luxury-Gxe10r-for-Sale.html

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Lexus-IS200-2000/SSE-AD-2153169/?Cr=1

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Lexus-IS200-2001/SSE-AD-2202409/?Cr=2

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Lexus-IS200-2003/SSE-AD-2081665/?Cr=10

Happy Hunting....

3SGE BEAMS blacktop is a straight swap and with half cuts coming in at $3,000 seems silly to look past it.

I think HKS pushed nearly 400rwkw out of the BEAMS but that was a 2.2L stocker kit and a turbo with heap of work and the supporting mods.