Have You Done This Yet

And about this time your scratching your head what Air Con Filters.

All Soarers have filters that clean the air before it has the chance to reach our cabin and as you didnt know you had the neither did the Jap owner when he drove the car for 10+ years in his/her smog filled city.

Removal for cleaning is a very simple procedure with no tools required.

1) Remove the under glovebox panel at the passengers feet which is held in by two black plastic push-in clips at the rear and four hidden clips at the front. Remove the rear plugs then pull the panel down and towards you to release the front clips. This is very easy to do and not much force is required at all.

2) Getting your body it an unnatural position and look up, remove the two wingnuts, that hold the cover on and gently push to one side.

3) Start sliding the filter straight down. The filter is actually in two sections with a fold in the middle. Once the first half is visible, fold it to the side and keep sliding downwards until the second half slides out.

4) Once you have removed the filter, look back into the slot and you will see the tab at the bottom of the second filter. You have to jiggle and slide it towards you in the slot, then slide it down and out the same as you did the first.

5) Clean the filters very gently with detergent, sugar soap has also been suggested I used some high strength detergent from the Bin Inn. You may have to do this a couple of times as the water should be very black.

==>>DO NOT SCRUB THE FILTER<<== as it is thin paper and will rip, Just sway it back and forward lightly to ease the water through it.

6) When fully dry which the filter should look greyish as not all grime is removeable, carefully replace the filters by reversing the procedure, and check that the lugs on the bottom of the filter fit into the slots in the bracket.

7) There you go smell the clean air.

Your other option is to buy 2 new filters from Toyota for about $60 to $80 each and just replace them. I liked my cheap option which cost me about $2 worth of cleaning fluid.

Everyone that I know in Japan changes the filters every 2 years or so, very very few would have gone ten years without a change, I could however imagime they would hardly ever, if ever, be changed in Australia.