What Is The Ect Switch?

Hi folks

I'm a new owner of a soarer (2.5L Twin Turbo), hence the dumb question.

I would like to know what the ECT switch is about. And what it does. And please dont spare the details. Give me the blood and guts of it.

Cher Cher

:D :o

Hi mate

The ECT switch does a few things depending on what spec you car is: when engaged, it hardens the shifts, changes down more readily and holds on to gears longer (ie higher revs) - this is obvioulsy for auto trans cars only. Also, because Soarers have variable assistance steering, it reduces assistance (which makes the steering a bit less dull). Im not sure, but i also think it increase brake assistance (it also seems to do this when moving from Cruise control straight onto the brakes- it assumes that if you havent had the time to disengage CC using the control, then you may be taking evasive action and need extra brake assistance...but not too sure about these points). Perhaps the biggest difference is if your car is equipped with TEMS (Toyota Electronically modulated Suspension)- if it is, then it increases the damper rates and gives a firmer ride/better handling/bumps are better controlled.....I spose thats one good thing about having a car full of electrics: everything can talk to each other...