150,000Km Servive

just wondering who can help?

i booked my '00 IS200 in for its 150,000km service and was quoted "about $600"

i was just called to say come and pick it up tomorrow its going $1020!

BUT the timing belt was not changed because it was done at 100,000km.

but they decided "to do" the rear brakes WITHOUT asking me.

it did just get its blueslip done not even 6,000km ago and had 50% and 60% wear remaining.

what do i tell the mechanic tomorrow?

i work in car audio and if i sold and installed a cd player and said oh by the way your speakers needed changing its going to be an extra $450 after the work was done i would lose my job...

Wow!

"about" $600 is a far cry from a grand!!

I would say anything less than $600 is a bonus, and if it went to $700 then that would be an acceptable risk.....

however, a full $400 over the "quote" is ridiculous, if there were major concerns the mechanic should have been straight on the phone!

I had work done recently and my mechanic rang to ask if he was "allowed" to rotate the wheels & tyres!!!!

1)have a look at the itemised bill they present, some places include extra work in their basic services (ie "whatever is deemed immediate attention required), that actually may not be neccessary at that moment, but add $$$ to their final bill,

2)advise that you were quoted what you were quoted,

3)be firm on what work was completed without consent,

4)and I would probably also seek some advice from consumer affairs & fair trade.

Remember, labour costs & environmental disposal costs are a given, and work sometimes takes longer than expected.....not sure on NSW rates, but here in Tassie, its roughly $80 per hour labour and something like an extra $30-$50 for EPA waste.

Definately should have a case on the work that wasn't requested or authorised!

Cheers :D

i agree with "exatekk" dependin on what the mechanics itemised ticket says because 9 times ot of 10 the work they have done is legit and they have got a reason behind it..............in saying that tho to do that work they need to consult you about goin ahead with the work they have done. i have been caught out b4 an i definately feel ur pain wen u get given a quote by a mechanic an then it turns out tonnes more expensive except mine was $800 that turned out to be $1200 2 months later my car was broken down again..................luckily it wasnt my lexus it was an older car i owned!!!! but yes i agree with "exatekk" if i was you i would be seeking further advise from consumer affairs & fair trade coz yeh i agree u have a good case against the work that was done unless he can give you proof that the work he has done HAD to be done!!!!