Turboing Is200 In Vic

Hey guys,

new to forum.

just bought 99 is200 from qld and just got it registered back in Vic

manual, sports luxury edition looking at fitting a turbo.

has anyone in vic done this, if so where do i get a kit to fit a 1GFE? and what do i need to keep it roadworthy/registered, notifying vicroads etc?

currently has extractors fitted.

any help would be appreciated, thanks guys

• 3 weeks later...

Im not sure what the regulations are in Vic but i know that in Canberra if you add a turbo your gonna need a engineering certificate to be legal, this doesnt mean you dont need one but if you get defected or put over the pits theyll hit you on it.

Out of interest what extractors have you got fitted? make much difference?

yeah fair enough, I might just take it to mechanic and check with him.

I'm not sure about the extractors, the guy before me had them fitted but if it's like any other work he had done on the car, I'd say he's got them off ebay or something. after 4000rpm it has a nice little kick, but not sure if thats the extractors or not as they've always been on it since i got the car

There's an AVO kit on firesport for around $3k.. not sure how the 1GFE responds to a turbo setup though.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah fair enough, I might just take it to mechanic and check with him.

I'm not sure about the extractors, the guy before me had them fitted but if it's like any other work he had done on the car, I'd say he's got them off ebay or something. after 4000rpm it has a nice little kick, but not sure if thats the extractors or not as they've always been on it since i got the car

That's normal. I'm not saying the extractors don't or do help, but that little "kick" you described is normal. That's the valve timing being adjusted (VVTi) for higher RPM.