I hear a rattle when I start up the car sometimes. My car is a 2006 is250, 71k Km. Has anyone had this issue resolved? Which dealer did you get it fixed at? I'm a bit worried because it only happens once every few days so its likely they won't be able to replicate it. I did record it happening once with my iphone.

Anyone know how much it would cost me to fix?

Hi, I also had a 2006 IS250. Start up rattle was corrected by Lexus of Chatswood. I believe there is a engine componet update due to failures. Just can't remeber what it was exc=actlt. May have been Cam Gears from memory. Was covered by warranty at the time. My 2009 IS already has the updates included.

I hear a rattle when I start up the car sometimes. My car is a 2006 is250, 71k Km. Has anyone had this issue resolved? Which dealer did you get it fixed at? I'm a bit worried because it only happens once every few days so its likely they won't be able to replicate it. I did record it happening once with my iphone.

Anyone know how much it would cost me to fix?

Hi mate Welcome to the club. its a great question you ask.

It has been covered many times in many topics. Try using the search function and you will find many answers!!

I reported the same problem to Chatswood Toyota in October 2010 with my 2008 IS250 (40km).

They fixed it and I note the comment from the service sheet as follows:

"Rattle from engine found to be coming from Cam Gears. Parts on order reg #9794. Rebooked 27 October for repairs"

I hope that assists to identify the issue and fix for you.

Regards,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was also intermittent and I could not "turn it on" or tell them when it would happen. I took it to Chatswood Lexus and there was no argument - they ordered the kit and booked the car in for rectification.

In other words, don't be concerned a good dealer will know about the issue and get it fixed for you. I just noted you have a 2007 model so there MAY be a warranty issue. Best discuss with the dealer.

Mine was also intermittent and I could not "turn it on" or tell them when it would happen. I took it to Chatswood Lexus and there was no argument - they ordered the kit and booked the car in for rectification.

In other words, don't be concerned a good dealer will know about the issue and get it fixed for you. I just noted you have a 2007 model so there MAY be a warranty issue. Best discuss with the dealer.

Thanks Ashpoint,

is it something that damages or effects performance or just annoying?

If its out of warranty, do you know how much this kind of repair will cost?

Hopefully happens with in the 3 months stat warranty with the dealer i bought it from and he is happy to sort it out....!

thanks

Z

Can't help you there regarding costs. They (Chatswood) didn't charge me. I imagine there is a servce notice about it and an accepted repair procedure and liability for costs.

I found it annoying but am not qualified to say if it is damaging to the engine.

I also think your selling dealer would be "happy" to fix it for you. If you are still within your three month warranty period, I would write a note to the dealer telling him about the rattle (and this thread) so he is warned before you go out of warranty.

Others on this board will no doubt know more about the Lexus dealer obligations and maybe respond with better advice than mine.

thanks all for the help and replies

Just spoke to Chatswood Lexus and cost is about $2.5k to get this sorted.

He said its just a sound and nothing will damage :)

Also leaving it cold as in my case i took my car out of the garage, rinsed it with water and backed back in and rattled first time in morning....when u shut down while warm it will be ok, supposedly....

Anyway, i have some time now as it will be cold soon to see if its a regular thing....

Above is reassuring and he said there are many customers where this happens and its normal and nothing wrong with engine.....

cheers

Z

Thanks for the Chat Mike

Was lovely talking to you....

SCP are happy to hear it and fix it if they hear it in the 3 month stat warranty period.

Spoke to Chatswood lexus, sydney city lexus and parramatta lexus and all said that its just a noise and causes no damage to engine otherwise Lexus Australia would have published a recall, they have published a fix for it for those who complain....apparently they have this in writing published from Lexus Aust

Mine has only done it once and it apparently happens very randomly, none the less i am hoping it happens in the cooler next couple of month so dealer can hear it....