Hi there,

Im a noob, from Sydney, looking to get my first 250, always had performance cars, then settled a little with focus xR5 turbo, Mazda MPS turbs and now ready to go luxury again

Im a little heavy footed and these cars with power i seem to get in trouble with!

Ive always like the IS250 and have a few Qs

I have a budget of 35k MAX (this would include rego transfer)

I ideally would like leather trim but not a requirement, I would like the DVD, sat nav, push start and sunroof also

Colours of choice of the White mist, White pearl or black (First two being my most wanted)

Long term goal is to drop it on 20s, black windows, full A/V install

Some questions i have but

1) Are these cars reliable?

2) Are servicing costs expensive compared to say my MPS being around 250 - 300 for a normal service and 400 + for a major

3) What common problems are there with them, and are these prblems expensive to repair

4) What problems and things should i be looking for when looking for my car, Anything to beware of?

5) What model has the most stylish kit? See pic below of the body kit i do like, Is this aftermarket?

6) What springs get the drop like that pic, but offer a good ride quality, dont care about cost

7) Anything else you might want to add?

simple_clean_lexus_is250_20.jpg

Thanks in advance!

1) Are these cars reliable?

Yes

2) Are servicing costs expensive compared to say my MPS being around 250 - 300 for a normal service and 400 + for a major

K-Mart Tyre oil change + Filter $130

3) What common problems are there with them, and are these prblems expensive to repair

Engine smell from sulfur if you push the car really hard for a bit

No fix possible. Problem across lexus,toyota.

Even a new ford xr6 i test drove had it.

my BMW 135i coupe didn't.

4) What problems and things should i be looking for when looking for my car, Anything to beware of?

Nothing other than with any car you buy

5) What model has the most stylish kit? See pic below of the body kit i do like, Is this aftermarket?

All models are the same basically, except sports, which I have, which has a nice spoiler on the rear, and bigger alloys which doesn't matter to you.

Go for the Sports or Sports Luxury model, don't get prestige cause its just basic. google to find the differences. That said, between the 3 types there's actually not much difference..

6) What springs get the drop like that pic, but offer a good ride quality, dont care about cost

search the forum see what others have installed, do your homework, but thats down the track when you have the car. so dont even bother for now.

7) Anything else you might want to add?

like yourself I like fast cars and previously had a bmw 135i 3.0L twin turbo.

The is250 is slow.

Fullstop.

it's not fast and if you're into sporty cars you will eventually get bored of it.

there's nothing you can really do to boost the power dramatically as it runs a high compression ratio.

That said, you say you want to get a luxury car, and for 35k,

an is250 is your best buy.

oh and ps, don't spend 35k.

budget around 25k for a sports/sports luxury.

mileage max 140,000km

the cars are reliable so dont fuss yourself about spending more money and getting lower mileage.

spend the money on mods

PRICE - For 35k you could get a 2007 Sports Lux, or 2008 Prestige. With any second hand car, the premium you pay on the extra 'bells n whistles' diminishes, so the difference between Prestige and SL is about $15k new, its only about $3k after 5 years!

RELIABILITY - One of the most reliable vehicles on the road. Mine is 6 years old, and over that time have only had a slight squeak in the sunroof (fixed by dealer), and a weeping rear diff seal (fixed by dealer under warranty). So pretty trivial you could say.

PERFORMANCE - Certainly not a performance car, but 0-100km/h you'll do in just over 8sec. Some would say this is slow, but its over a second quicker than its direct competitors (entry level 3-series, 159, A4, C-class etc.) Also consider the IS is RWD, unlike the Audi and 159. Many reviewers and owners say the driving dynamics are comparable to a 3-series - very well balanced car. But keep the car well serviced, always run 98RON (even though you dont have too - SHell V-Power is the best I find for performance and economy) and use the paddle-shifts to drive it 'manually'. The car is a different beast then. In standard auto mode it does feel pedestrian - but hold the gear just that one second longer, and its a completely different car, esp as the torque kicks in at higher revs!

FEATURES - The features you mention in stop-start and leather are all standard. In fact the basic Prestige (which I have) includes many features that are/were options on the comparable Euros. You'll find the far far majority of all IS' come with sunroofs, so you should'nt have a problem there. Satnav/DVD is either in the Prestige with EMV pack fitted, or standard in the Sports Lux. You talk about re-fitting the sound system. Check out other entries in this forum on the current sound systems. The 14-spkr 5.1 300W Mark Levison fitted in many cars is brilliant, and even the 13-spkr Pioneer 190W standard system on the Prestige puts many so-called premium systems in other makes to shame.

SERVICING COSTS - Generally speaking - through a Lexus dealer they sit half-way between your standard Japanese makes (ie. Mazda, Nissan, Mitsubishi @ $300-400/service), and the Europeans ($800-1,300/service). The major 90k and 180k services for the IS are expensive if through dealer though (iridium spark plugs the main culprit).

THINGS TO LOOK OUT FOR - Just the usual things when checking a car (look for major collision evidence, tyre wear, alignment etc.). Nothing mechanical to look out for that Im aware of. Of course, always check service history too.

COMMON PROBLEMS - Hardly problems, but little niggles. Squeaky drivers seat, 'eggy' exahust smell (but only after sudden acceleration, with windows open, and varys with fuel types). LIttle rattle in sunroof. Soft paintwork (Take care of it). As I said, one of the most reliable vehicles on the road. Scan this forum to look for other 'problems', but as I say their mainly little niggles.

BODY - Plenty of after market DIY options available, esp imported from the US. Again, scan this forum and you'll see 1,001 different ideas! It's not my cup of tea personally, but there are plenty of options, esp with Lexus bringing in the F-sport concept a couple of years back.

..........Lets just say, when time comes for me to update - its going to take something bloody good for me not to seriously consider the next-gen IS (due out late 2013 I believe). The IS for me has been brilliant.

1) Are these cars reliable? mine is ive had 3 lexus wont buy another make of car again

2) Are servicing costs expensive compared to say my MPS being around 250 - 300 for a normal service and 400 + for a major? i get mine done at ultra tune they are pretty reasonable

3) What common problems are there with them, and are these prblems expensive to repair? none i cant think of

5) What model has the most stylish kit? See pic below of the body kit i do like, Is this aftermarket? not into body kits might consider a boot spolier a small one

6) What springs get the drop like that pic, but offer a good ride quality, dont care about cost? i got king springs and they are perfect - wheel size is 20x8.5 on the front 20x10 on the back

7) Anything else you might want to add? get one you will love it i have a pearl white it took me 6 months to find it