Any Difference Between '99 Is200 And 2000 Is200 Model

Hey everyone,

looking into getting a second hand Lexus IS200, and was just wondering what to look out for when inspecting the car e.g. any common problems/issues this model might have?

Also is there any big difference between the 99 model and the 2000 model.

Thanks for your help guys.

i bought a 2000 is200 12 months ago and i have needed, new clutch, window regulators, starter motor, foggy headlight, engine issues (leaking gasket) 170,000 ks.
i don't think there is much difference at all between them, seen as it seems that the 99 and 2000 both have the same common issues.

despite all that i would spend my lifesavings again to keep her alive just because shes sooo much fun to drive! and chicks love it ;)

regulators, foggy headlights (drivers side), oil leaks and ive heard the ball joints go, aslong as its had a good history and you keep it maintained well you should be good for a while

i heard that s1's had alot more problems than s2's.. try and get one 01 onwards if possible.. theres a thread which shows every single difference but imo s2 are more reliable and look better with the tinted headlights..

hey guys goin to look at some is200s this week, wanted to ask how do i know if the lexus im looking at has lsd ? do all is200 sports lux come factory with it, i looked at some threads but they were all for the is300 so i dont know if thats the same thing? thanks for the help in advance :)

• 3 months later...

I don't think there were any significant differences between '99 and 2000, the only major refresh was in 2001:

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/508C70F8A784984DCA256B090001455A

Note that Lexus actually removed parts in the later years and made them options, so later years aren't always better...