Vibration At Idle (On Drive Mode) - 2014 Is250

Hi guys,

I bought a 2014 IS250 Luxury which is base model two weeks ago and travelled about 450km now.

I like the car but I'm little concerned about the vibration on steering wheel and driver side door.

There is no vibration on 'P' or 'N' but vibration is there on steering wheel and driver side door (not sure about other doors though). I would not say it is bad but vibration is there when the car is stopped on 'D' mode.

I know that it is quite normal to have vibration at idle with transmission set to 'D' for some cars but I expected better treatment of vibration for the car I bought because the car only 2 weeks old and it is LEXUS!

Anyone having same issue? or Am I too sensitive?

In addition, the navigation system of the car restarted by itself 3 times since I bought a car.

Anyone having this issue? or anyone knows why that happens?

Hi Eric, and welcome!

You're the first member to have reported their purchase of a MY14 IS 250. That said, you're not the first to have reported vibrations/rattles or a resetting audio system on a new vehicle. These symptoms affected the second generation IS, and audio problems were reported on very early releases of the CT 200h.

In our experience, if you take your car to your Lexus dealer (no appointment necessary), the vibrations are sure to be addressed - particularly if they're reproducible.

The MY14 IS audio/nav system can be manually rebooted if you push and hold the volume dial for a few seconds. Assuming the reboots occurred without you touching anything, Lexus will attempt to resolve the reboot problem as well. You may have to be a little patient as they try to reproduce the problem - they may also need to source a replacement system if all else fails.

• Like 1

Hi Eric, and welcome!

You're the first member to have reported their purchase of a MY14 IS 250. That said, you're not the first to have reported vibrations/rattles or a resetting audio system on a new vehicle. These symptoms affected the second generation IS, and audio problems were reported on very early releases of the CT 200h.

In our experience, if you take your car to your Lexus dealer (no appointment necessary), the vibrations are sure to be addressed - particularly if they're reproducible.

The MY14 IS audio/nav system can be manually rebooted if you push and hold the volume dial for a few seconds. Assuming the reboots occurred without you touching anything, Lexus will attempt to resolve the reboot problem as well. You may have to be a little patient as they try to reproduce the problem - they may also need to source a replacement system if all else fails.

Thank you.

I will definitely bring the car to the dealer and check if they can do something about them.

Cheers,

When you hear the words vibrations and Lexus in the same post, something is not right. I'd be heading straight back to the dealer to get it fixed.

The only vibrations i experience are from the mark levinson sound system \m/

As for the nav system restarting; i've not experienced that; but i have experienced 2 or 3 freezes. In my opinion 1 freeze is unacceptable, but it has not happened in a few weeks now. If it is restarting, yes as LN said, get the dealer to help out.

Good luck and congrats on the purchase. I've still only seen about 3 on the road.

• Like 1

When you hear the words vibrations and Lexus in the same post, something is not right. I'd be heading straight back to the dealer to get it fixed.

The only vibrations i experience are from the mark levinson sound system \m/

As for the nav system restarting; i've not experienced that; but i have experienced 2 or 3 freezes. In my opinion 1 freeze is unacceptable, but it has not happened in a few weeks now. If it is restarting, yes as LN said, get the dealer to help out.

Good luck and congrats on the purchase. I've still only seen about 3 on the road.

Thanks for your comment.

I actually went to the dealer and they said the software on my car is up to date and only thing they can do is resetting the nav system.

However, it actually started again couple of days after the reset. :(

I was told to come back it happens again then the dealer will report the issue to the head quarter to release software update and I think it is not going to happen in months.

About the vibration, I was asked to drive for couple of months more because my car is a very new (travelled 500km) and everything is quite tight. They said it takes a bit of time for the parts to adjust themselves and I am hoping they are right.

Does the steering wheel also vibrate when in motion or just at idle?

It vibrates in both motion and at idle but I personally think the vibration while driving is at acceptable level that comes from the contact with ground not from the car itself.

By the way the car drives very smooth...maybe too smooth to feel the sportiness of the car. :)

From what you say sounds like she maybe addling to low, could be the fuel they used.

It is not the fuel they used because I just emptied the fuel filled by the dealer and filled full tank of PULP into my car and same thing is happening.

Maybe I should drive it for a enough time for the car to be settled.

Eric, Do you drive within a few kilometres of the TV towers or radio masts in Melbourne? I know that used to cause resets of the audio systems of my last two cars. (The good news is that it might stop, once analogue TV is switched off at the end of the year!)

It vibrates in both motion and at idle but I personally think the vibration while driving is at acceptable level that comes from the contact with ground not from the car itself.

By the way the car drives very smooth...maybe too smooth to feel the sportiness of the car. :)

I was hoping it could be something simple like a dodgy wheel balance but if it does it at both times then it won't be. I re-read your initial post and given that it only happens when the car is in gear I'm thinking it could be a drive train issue. Does it happen in reverse?

As mentioned though the car is still new and requires to be broken in but it still is something to be weary about; hope you get it sorted

Eric, Do you drive within a few kilometres of the TV towers or radio masts in Melbourne? I know that used to cause resets of the audio systems of my last two cars. (The good news is that it might stop, once analogue TV is switched off at the end of the year!)

I hope Lexus will release the new software soon or it stops by the end of this year.

At the moment it is only happening like once or twice a week which is not big deal so I will just wait for Nav issue:)

I was hoping it could be something simple like a dodgy wheel balance but if it does it at both times then it won't be. I re-read your initial post and given that it only happens when the car is in gear I'm thinking it could be a drive train issue. Does it happen in reverse?

As mentioned though the car is still new and requires to be broken in but it still is something to be weary about; hope you get it sorted

I hope it is not drive train issue and it will go away after about 2,000km travel.

Probably I will post the result how I go at that point of time.

Thanks for your comment Gunnar.

• 2 weeks later...

My car just got checked this morning by Lexus dealer and no surprise.

I was told that the car is perfectly normal as there is no car in the world with absolute no vibration when stopped in gear 'D'.

What they did for me is warm up another brand new IS250 and let me compare.

They were the same. I thought that I could be way too sensitive but also little disappointed also.

For potential buyers, as I mentioned earlier the vibration I felt is very minor and not many people will be able to realise it.

So if you are interested in New IS go, try and feel it as it is very nice car which looks way better than pictures.

Cheers guys.