Hi Guys,

Most of us know of the issue with the IS250 start up engine rattle. I've had it since I bought the IS250 18 months ago and even after getting her serviced at Lexus Melbourne, the rattle doesn't go away - usually happens on cold mornings.

Wanted to save some money on the 75K service, I did it myself using all OEM parts but I used Castrol Edge 5w-30 (they were on sale at Repco). Since I did the oil change myself over a week ago, I have not heard the rattle even with the cold Melbourne mornings we have had recently. I did hear it rattle quite a bit when i first started her up after the oill change but nothing since!

Not sure if is the oil that makes a difference (Lexus OEM and Castrol Edge) but glad I dont hear the start up rattle any more (dont want to jinx myself...)

No, its the startup engine rattle... its a known issue with the cam gears or something

But come to think about it, the direct injection ticking noise is more quiter as well... i think

• 2 weeks later...

I recently sold a 2008 is250X which had the rattle but if memory serves me correct I think this might have been a recall. I know Lexus fixed the rattle issue twice on my vehicle at no cost over a couple of year period. Check to see if this is a recall because they will probably fix it. By the way When I sold the 250X it had 130,000 k's and the rattle was starting to happen again so what ever they did to it did not appear to be a permanent fix.

I recently sold a 2008 is250X which had the rattle but if memory serves me correct I think this might have been a recall. I know Lexus fixed the rattle issue twice on my vehicle at no cost over a couple of year period. Check to see if this is a recall because they will probably fix it. By the way When I sold the 250X it had 130,000 k's and the rattle was starting to happen again so what ever they did to it did not appear to be a permanent fix.

Your right, there was a recall but this was only for the US, i did speak to Lexus about mine but because mine was out of warranty, they wouldnt fix it without charge. They did try to sell me the warranty package but I couldnt justify $1800 for 2-3 years additional warranty.

Since I did my oil change myself, I have not heard the rattle, which is a great sign there must be something to do with Lexus' oil they use.

• 3 years later...
On 6/27/2014 at 6:39 AM, quockies said:

Your right, there was a recall but this was only for the US, i did speak to Lexus about mine but because mine was out of warranty, they wouldnt fix it without charge. They did try to sell me the warranty package but I couldnt justify $1800 for 2-3 years additional warranty.

Since I did my oil change myself, I have not heard the rattle, which is a great sign there must be something to do with Lexus' oil they use.

Hi mate I have the same issue with my 2009 RX 350 where is rattles on start. I don't service with Lexus and it is out of warranty but i still carry out log book servicing at service centres locally. The last time they did an oil change using Penrite 5w40 synthetic the rattle stopped for about a month and now its back. And it has got a bit worse than before. 

Are you able to tell me the exact oil brand and type you used please? I really cannot justify myself paying $2300 to the dealer to replace the cam gears as quoted by them. 

Thank you

On 4/30/2018 at 11:53 AM, vijith555 said:

Hi mate I have the same issue with my 2009 RX 350 where is rattles on start. I don't service with Lexus and it is out of warranty but i still carry out log book servicing at service centres locally. The last time they did an oil change using Penrite 5w40 synthetic the rattle stopped for about a month and now its back. And it has got a bit worse than before. 

Are you able to tell me the exact oil brand and type you used please? I really cannot justify myself paying $2300 to the dealer to replace the cam gears as quoted by them. 

Thank you

Hey Mate

I used Castrol Edge 5W-30 Titanium. The nose did go away for a while but once in a while it would come back. Ive actually sold the car 2 years ago, unsure if it is still a issue.

https://www.castrol.com/en_au/australia/car-engine-oil/engine-oil-brands/castrol-edge/edge-product-page/edge-5w-30-a3b4.html

I also have a Mazda 6 MPS that has the same issue however oil wont fix the problem.

Thanks

Quoc

^ probably a timing chain issue on the MPS (stretched chain and/or chain tensioner issues). Or VVT not operating correctly. Pretty common on those engines....especially the earlier BK models.