Hi guys,

Just wondering what 98RON fuel you recommend? I have a 2009 IS250 which I just purchased second hand. I know the owner and it was driven pretty lightly over its life. Want to run 98RON fuel for a bit to try and clean out any gunk. Is their any difference between Shell VPower, BP Ultimate etc. Is one better than the other? Just wondering your thoughts?

I get most km out of a tank in this order:

• Mobil Supreme 98
  • BP Ultimate
  • Shell V-Power

I don't use Caltex... issues in the past have tainted my view of their fuel.

V-Power seems to go "off" in around 2 weeks and the car can feel sluggish and ping. Haven't experienced this with Mobil or BP though.

Since I got my IS350 a few months ago I've been doing the numbers on 95/98 RON fuel, to see how much difference it makes. Different suppliers, but usually BP, as they're convenient to my route.

I've probably put 8 tanks through it so far while I've been tracking it, and in $/km it's within 1%. I haven't had to drive in heavy traffic in the last week which means I got really good economy, so that has swung the calculation in favor of 98 by 0.8%. Before that tank it was better on 95, by 0.7%.

Bear in mind I'm just recording the  average economy displayed on the dashboard at the end of each tank - I'm not recording km traveled or anything.

Interestingly, I get an 8% variance in the fuel economy just as a result of how or where I'm driving, and 10.5% variance in the fuel price. So, as long as you're using a 'premium' fuel, the way you drive and the cost of the fuel seems to have more of an impact (10 times!) than the actual fuel you're using.

23 hours ago, AlexFS250 said:

Check this report out. I used to run only 98. Now just premium as per the recommendations on the fuel cover 

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/do-i-really-need-to-use-premium-unleaded-in-my-car

Hah, John is hilarious... I recommend his YouTube channel.

I used to fill up with Shell V-Power for a few months until I decided to try BP Ultimate 98. I personally prefer BP Ultimate 98 as I experienced some sluggishness with V-Power overtime. My experiences with V-Power are similar to what Atlantis mentioned. I also noticed that the 98 prices for BP are far better than Shell V-Power (probably because Shell V-Power accept the fuel dockets from Coles).