2005 LS430 Possible Alternator Problem.

Howdy. The voltage in normal running has been slowly dropping over the last few months from about 14.3, now down to about 13.3 to 13.5 volts. Turning lights on and loading it up makes no difference.  Battery voltage when not running is normal. It still has about 14.2 when first started, but drops as it warms up. Might this be the regulator on its way out, and can that be replaced, or is it likely the alternator itself is getting a bit ancient, like its owner? Is the regulator built-in to the alternator, or is it separate? Is it likely to completely clap out any time soon? How easy, or difficult, is it to replace? I haven't noticed any strange noises from it.

Cheers, Keith.

Are you checking the charge rate at the battery with a voltmeter, if so it should be 13.9 to 14.2 with the car running, how old is the battery?? I've never changed one on a LS but it might be on utube let us know good luck.

Hi 2Bling. I have a small voltmeter "permanently" attached from the fuse box under the dash, by the driver's legs. Been there since I got the car a few years ago, so I have a pretty good idea of what's normal for the car. It reads the same as going directly onto the battery. The battery is 4 years old, but appears to be okay. Obviously it's not going to have quite the capacity of a new one, but it still turns over fast, and starts fine. I guess I'll just keep a close eye on it,.and see how things go.  Cheers.